Quantcast

~-~Friday GMT~-~

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Happy Friday!! Started off my day with an easy 4 mile jog before work in some warm soupy bullshit. WHERE'S FALL. And how long does Ironman recovery take ffs? It's been three weeks now and I am still feeling it. (Internet says this third week is the worst.)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Actually went and got married yesterday. Does the regret set in now or later?

Dog sitting 3 additional dogs this weekend for a total of 5 including ours. That's about 3 dogs too many. I predict a shit show.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Mornin!

Actually went and got married yesterday. Does the regret set in now or later?

Dog sitting 3 additional dogs this weekend for a total of 5 including ours. That's about 3 dogs too many. I predict a shit show.
Would that be a dog shit show? And congrats on the new Tax status.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Slept 11 hours and I feel great. Had a really good job interview yesterday. Perfect job and really good salary. So my plan to move to Denmark may happen really soon.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Back home but caught a bug or something from one of the flights. TONS of work to do, but riding this weekend before getting on the road again.

Also time to crank up the job search machine. Anyone hiring?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning. First Friday of the school year for me (YEAH). I met the class that might kill me yesterday....back to the drawing board on all the plans I made over the summer as I highly doubt they can achieve even half of what I had laid out :( 27 students, 4 of which are girls, 17 of which are special ed and/or behavior issues...lucky me!

My classroom is under construction so hopefully I can get in there today and this weekend and finally set everything up. A frustrating start to the school year for me, but on the plus side....things can't get any worse (right?!)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Having fish tacos for breakfast. I should probably just go back to bed as I'm pretty sure I've hit my food highlight for the day.

I did finally manage to clean all the Cow Dah Pie gunk off the hard tail. I've done exactly zero riding/running/exercise since I got back from teh NoDak. I should probably get back on it since winter isn't that far away, but it's probably not going to be today.

Morning. First Friday of the school year for me (YEAH). I met the class that might kill me yesterday....back to the drawing board on all the plans I made over the summer as I highly doubt they can achieve even half of what I had laid out :( 27 students, 4 of which are girls, 17 of which are special ed and/or behavior issues...lucky me!

My classroom is under construction so hopefully I can get in there today and this weekend and finally set everything up. A frustrating start to the school year for me, but on the plus side....things can't get any worse (right?!)
My wife was complaining last night about something similar. How she always gets stuck with the "low groups". You have to think of it as a compliment. If you couldn't do it, you wouldn't have those kids. You'll do great!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Making pb n honey. Last night I was able to help my spouse understand I need a Salsa Vaya for commuting and general ducking around.

My lbs friends don't understand why I want a road bike with 50mm tires. For FUN, bitches!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
In the heart of the Badlands NP. Bike apparently arrived at home FedEx office after the long trip from NoDak, gonna pick it up on Monday. Vt50 in two weeks, that's gonna be a challenging one with the little riding and exercise I've done in the past two weeks. :panic:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
climbed last night. did top roping for the first time in a while. had wings n beer afterwards and caught up with a buddy that i haven't seen much of this summer.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Making pb n honey. Last night I was able to help my spouse understand I need a Salsa Vaya for commuting and general ducking around.

My lbs friends don't understand why I want a road bike with 50mm tires. For FUN, bitches!
I thought I wanted one, then realized my 29er with 47 mm Schwalbe semi-slicks and a mustache bar is more or less the same thing.

I dragged ass on the ride into work on said 29er, for the record. Still better than sitting in the car. I turn into campus at a different place now, but at the usual/popular turn in site there had to have been 40 cars lined up for the left turn lane. That light takes maybe 8 at a time on the green arrow. Suckas.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

I have your kids on my bus this morning

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Some thoughts on cassettes after last night's ride...: waaay back in the day, I used to use SRAM cassettes. I would systematically bend the cogs, so I switched to shimano. nary a problem ensued. I would easily get two seasons out of a cassette. Then I got bit by the extended range bug. so I replaced my worn 11-36 XT cassette with an 11-42t SunRace cassette. Shifting was ok, maybe not as smooth as Shimano, but after breaking it in (took about 5 rides) it was decent, no major complaints. then on the weekend I bent three cogs on that sucker (after 3 weeks - 7 rides). I was on a particularly rough trail and I guess the chain had been bouncing around a lot, and when I went to put in a pedal stroke I bent the cogs and snapped the chain. So this week I acquired an 11-36t XT cassette and a Hope 40t-Rex cog.

so, my thoughts after 1 ride back on Shimano:
1) SunRace cassette is not worth it. Shimano shifts better, is quieter, and seems to hold the chain better.
2) 11-42 is too much range for me. 11-40 seems to fit the bill perfectly. with 11-36 I felt I was really mashing the pedals on steep climbs, and on "off-days" it wasn't pleasant. Even though 11-42 makes it easier to spin, it's also noticeably slower. 11-40 seems to be the sweet spot for me.
3) originally I thought the expander cogs were a bit of a "bodge" and that a dedicated wide range cassette would be better, but after last night's ride, I find a Shimano cassette with an extra cog is much much better. Now, if Shimano made a 10-sp 11-40 cassette, I'd probably jump on that next time. But my current solution works just fine. I may consider getting a 16t cog to replace the 15t to smooth the jump from 13 to 19.

tl;dr, Shimano cassette is better than SunRace cassette. well, duh! and 11-40 is plenty of range for me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Slept in, commute is ugly due to road repaving, FTS Friday in full effect. Wife has decided that while she loves my cat, Monday is not as friendly or loving as she would like (my cat just likes to hang out with you, not get all in your personal space) so she decided we will get a boxer pup shortly. We have a trip planned and some other things to take care of, but I'm cool with it. My neighbor got his from the president of the Oregon Boxer Society or some sh!t. Not sure I will go to that extent, but sure as hell not going to the mall (she got both her Bostons from the mall :twitch: ). Looks like I will need to figure out how to plug the wall hole for the existing dog door and modify the mostly glass man door to accommodate a larger dog door.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
2) 11-42 is too much range for me. 11-40 seems to fit the bill perfectly. with 11-36 I felt I was really mashing the pedals on steep climbs, and on "off-days" it wasn't pleasant. Even though 11-42 makes it easier to spin, it's also noticeably slower. 11-40 seems to be the sweet spot for me.
3) originally I thought the expander cogs were a bit of a "bodge" and that a dedicated wide range cassette would be better, but after last night's ride, I find a Shimano cassette with an extra cog is much much better. Now, if Shimano made a 10-sp 11-40 cassette, I'd probably jump on that next time. But my current solution works just fine. I may consider getting a 16t cog to replace the 15t to smooth the jump from 13 to 19.
Moar range for me, please and thank you.

I ran a 26/36 front + 11/36 rear
then a 26/36 + 11/40

- went full retard 1x -

then a 30t +11/42
NOW a 32t = 11/45 (omglol) with the OneUp 45t+18t kit

the 1x useable range (11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-37-42-45) really makes more sense for me: still have a much needed climbing granny, with smooth shifts, plus the 32/11 on the low end.

AND ... my chain doesn't drop backpedaling any longer.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I thought I wanted one, then realized my 29er with 47 mm Schwalbe semi-slicks and a mustache bar is more or less the same thing.
The Vaya seems like an economic way to get into it... The drive train on the deore kit is whack but I will see how long it lasts.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Moar range for me, please and thank you.

I ran a 26/36 front + 11/36 rear
then a 26/36 + 11/40

- went full retard 1x -

then a 30t +11/42
NOW a 32t = 11/45 (omglol) with the OneUp 45t+18t kit

the 1x useable range (11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-37-42-45) really makes more sense for me: still have a much needed climbing granny, with smooth shifts, plus the 32/11 on the low end.

AND ... my chain doesn't drop backpedaling any longer.
what cassette are you running now?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Here's a bike question to tickle your monkey brains.

Are Shimano and SRAM brake caliper mounts the same? I have IS tabs on my frame and I need the mount for a 185mm Avid Elixir Trail 7. All the shops near me only have Shimano mounts. Am I screwed or golden?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

Are Shimano and SRAM brake caliper mounts the same? I have IS tabs on my frame and I need the mount for a 185mm Avid Elixir Trail 7. All the shops near me only have Shimano mounts. Am I screwed or golden?
Damn this shit is getting too complicated

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/NuXp4Y-RDHPKp33u6WmMyVsPQ9nOpGMvYWW6Cv7cqbQ/mtime:1412088465/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-5018-000-000_rev_d_disc_brake_caliper_mounting.pdf

So it appears I need the 25 IS configuration. Which means just the standard IS to 185 mount with CPS washers. Maybe??

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I've used a shimano adapter with an Avid caliper and it wasn't 100%, but it worked.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Some thoughts on cassettes after last night's ride...: waaay back in the day, I used to use SRAM cassettes. I would systematically bend the cogs, so I switched to shimano. nary a problem ensued. I would easily get two seasons out of a cassette. Then I got bit by the extended range bug. so I replaced my worn 11-36 XT cassette with an 11-42t SunRace cassette. Shifting was ok, maybe not as smooth as Shimano, but after breaking it in (took about 5 rides) it was decent, no major complaints. then on the weekend I bent three cogs on that sucker (after 3 weeks - 7 rides). I was on a particularly rough trail and I guess the chain had been bouncing around a lot, and when I went to put in a pedal stroke I bent the cogs and snapped the chain. So this week I acquired an 11-36t XT cassette and a Hope 40t-Rex cog.

so, my thoughts after 1 ride back on Shimano:
1) SunRace cassette is not worth it. Shimano shifts better, is quieter, and seems to hold the chain better.

tl;dr, Shimano cassette is better than SunRace cassette. well, duh! and 11-40 is plenty of range for me.
Jeebus dude, how do you manage to bend cogs, are you a track racer in your spare time ?

I've been running a 32t with an XT 11-36 and want a 40t expander cog. I like the gear range but want an easier cog for long mountain climbs, but it's not necessary for the local stuff. To me it seems that at a certain point on a low/slack bike that too low of a gear will be useless since the geometry doesn't favor steep climbing. My guess is that anything over 40t is going to be a waste off money since it will probably be faster to get off and walk.

Also after talking to another rider with a 42t and a 10spd rear derailleur, a 40t will most likely shift better without having to upgrade to an 11 speed with different pully locations..

Started out the morning with some trail maintenance. Nice and cool in the woods, efts all over the place.

Rode into town to get lunch and bullshit with LBS owner.

Going to pack up some stuff and go over to camp for the weekend.

Hey @StiHacka, where you staying for the 50 and when will you be rolling in?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Happy Friday.

Blowing out of work early to hit the trails with the pup, riding this weekend and watching worlds. Got the OK for a full weekend escape next weekend--thinking Saturday Bailey's bike park, Sunday Pisgah shred. Well pleased.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Jeebus dude, how do you manage to bend cogs, are you a track racer in your spare time ?
There is a pattern... usually it's always at the end of a rough downhill, when I get on the gas to carry speed up an upcoming climb or something. so bouncy chain and high torque situations. things have gotten much better since I went with Shimano cassettes, but also with the advent of clutch derailleurs. I think it helps quiet the chain down a tad....

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

The Shimano adapter will space the caliper for a 180mm rotor, not 185.

So ... angle grinder or moar shimz seems to be an appropriate answer. AAAAGAIN.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Happy Friday.

Blowing out of work early to hit the trails with the pup, riding this weekend and watching worlds. Got the OK for a full weekend escape next weekend--thinking Saturday Bailey's bike park, Sunday Pisgah shred. Well pleased.
Dang - we've got a crew of 4 going up to Bailey tomorrow. Will probably try to hit Wilsons next weekend. I'm looking forward to finally checking Bailey out!

@jbp, @angry is right on both counts - and Bennett is good fun.

I run 34/11-42. No problems with bending cogs, although I think my actual derailleur is bent a bit right now. Those numbers work great for me, although I'd love to drop to 10-42.

Finally shook the headache and feeling like crap that've been hanging around all day. Looking forward to sleeping tonight. Still feel vaguely yucky.

Last edited: