Quantcast

@@ Friday GMT @@.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Do you guys ever get a mid-summer "low" in your fitness? I feel like every year the same pattern repeats itself: in the spring I'm strong, and can hang with my medium-fast buddies. Then in the summer, I just fall off the back like a sack of potatoes. Then all of a sudden, in the fall, I'm doing better again. Sometimes I think it's the heat that affects me more than the rest, but we're all riding in the same heat so I feel like that's just an excuse.

Last night we went for a ride in sweltering conditions. Humidity was high, and it felt like 95°F. The ride we did felt like uphill both ways (the descents were all very short, interspersed with little climbs), and even the descents were a lot of work caus' the trailbuilders don't seem to believe in straight lines... and love putting a 170° corner at the apex of a turn... but I was totally freakin' cooked. I clipped a tree at moderate speed and went otb hard on my shoulder, then washed out in a straight line on the edge of the gravel path descent that takes us back to the car. stupid mistakes. could it just be the heat?

anyways.

last day of work for me for 5 weeks. Next week I've got my boys solo, then their off to forest camp for a week, then we're camping with my brother and law and family, and then we have two more weeks to play with... Not sure what we'll do. if the boys can behave, we may drive to the coast. the closest of which is Maine. mmmm lobstah.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
There is a storm a brewing here, hope I leave before it hits.

Taking my daughter too Grandma's house four the week and than partying alone four a few days.

Might go four a bike ride to.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do you guys ever get a mid-summer "low" in your fitness? I feel like every year the same pattern repeats itself: in the spring I'm strong, and can hang with my medium-fast buddies. Then in the summer, I just fall off the back like a sack of potatoes. Then all of a sudden, in the fall, I'm doing better again. Sometimes I think it's the heat that affects me more than the rest, but we're all riding in the same heat so I feel like that's just an excuse.
I find the relation between the increasingly nice days and beer intake, takes a toll on my biking. :busted:

But mostly I'm good with the heat. Its just harder to get going again if you take a break mid ride. Carrying a lot more water for days like these isn't easy, either.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Last night we went for a ride in sweltering conditions. Humidity was high, and it felt like 95°F. The ride we did felt like uphill both ways (the descents were all very short, interspersed with little climbs), and even the descents were a lot of work caus' the trailbuilders don't seem to believe in straight lines... and love putting a 170° corner at the apex of a turn... but I was totally freakin' cooked. I clipped a tree at moderate speed and went otb hard on my shoulder, then washed out in a straight line on the edge of the gravel path descent that takes us back to the car. stupid mistakes. could it just be the heat?

anyways.

last day of work for me for 5 weeks. Next week I've got my boys solo, then their off to forest camp for a week, then we're camping with my brother and law and family, and then we have two more weeks to play with... Not sure what we'll do. if the boys can behave, we may drive to the coast. the closest of which is Maine. mmmm lobstah.
is your diet any different in the summer? what do you carry to drink on rides?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

:wave:

It's too fucking hot, and it makes me lazy. Consequently, I get teh fatz

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I still have new BB5-roads in a box

did cry-it-out with the little knucklehead last night and he managed to fall asleep on time after crying for an hour and a half. He woke up at 3 but self-soothed, so we actually got some decent sleep. Will try again this evening. No barf either.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey has anybody ever heard of a scam involving mailing the seller cash in exchange for old bike parts?

I am selling an old pair of shoes...$30. Buyer wants to mail me cash in exchange for the shoes. I don't really see how that's a bad deal for me. I get cash in the mail, then ship off the shoes. He can't back out or anything, right? Maybe he can send counterfeit bills, but I'll just go ball hard at Mcdonals. Worst case I'm out a pair of shoes I no longer wear....but I want to make sure he can't like steal my info or something, since he's on facebook and what the fuck m8

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey has anybody ever heard of a scam involving mailing the seller cash in exchange for old bike parts?

I am selling an old pair of shoes...$30. Buyer wants to mail me cash in exchange for the shoes. I don't really see how that's a bad deal for me. I get cash in the mail, then ship off the shoes. He can't back out or anything, right? Maybe he can send counterfeit bills, but I'll just go ball hard at Mcdonals. Worst case I'm out a pair of shoes I no longer wear....but I want to make sure he can't like steal my info or something, since he's on facebook and what the fuck m8
any other red flags? that does seem suspicious.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

As long as he's not mailing you a $1000 note and asking you to include the change with the shoes...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

anyways.

High heat/humidity is my kryptonite. I just can't breathe. So yeah, I know exactly how that pattern feels.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

Have him pay in $5 bills, nobody counterfeits that small of a denomination.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Made myself a NEMA 14-50 outlet to charge new car in the garage yesterday. Did not die. Flip breakers, follow diagram/instructions. Easy-peasy.
my garage has drywall, and I still not have thought of a way to have the wire go into the fusebox without looking like crap :thinking:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
my garage has drywall, and I still not have thought of a way to have the wire go into the fusebox without looking like crap :thinking:
Conduit on the surface and a surface mount box, and leave drywall intact?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
yes, that was the plan for the outlets, thinking about how to make it look ok where it goes from conduit to fuse panel
That does complicate things. Doing more than one outlet? I just bought a 6ft whip at Lowe's. Comes in its own conduit. Not as pleasing to the eye as run inside the walls, but very garage chic. Not sure its kosher to have more than one 220 outlet per circuit.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Decent riding in both those places. Ever ride either?
Nope.
Been building our the Bath house for two years but recently found some trails on Trailforks.
Hiked some trails around belgrade but usually there with non riders.
Have done the blackstrap trails in Falmouth but its been a few years.

Any suggestions? And what do you suggest up your way?
We just got septic done and close to having plumbing so riding up there is on the horizon finally.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
That does complicate things. Doing more than one outlet? I just bought a 6ft whip at Lowe's. Comes in its own conduit. Not as pleasing to the eye as run inside the walls, but very garage chic. Not sure its kosher to have more than one 220 outlet per circuit.
my plan as of now is:
Both sides of Garage would get the following:
1x 120 @20amp (on own breaker)
1x 220 @30 amp (on own breaker)

If the electrician says that is too much, then only 1 side would get a 220 circut
not sure if I should have electrician put in a sub panel for that

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
is your diet any different in the summer? what do you carry to drink on rides?
Diet is pretty much the same. Beer intake hasn't really risen. I find I wake up earlier because daylight causes my kids to wake up earlier (despite blackout curtains).

I recently switched to riding packless. I drink water. I have a large (26oz.) water bottle in my frame, and another 17 oz. folding bottle I carry in my bibs. Works well: I haven't run out of water in the past month I've been doing this. I even bought a button-up hiking shirt that's 100% polyester, quick-dry and highly breathable (Marmot Syrocco). I rode with only 2 buttons done up yesterday, and it was great. I could barely feel it against my skin, and anytime I could get moving again, the wind cooling me off was glorious!

Could be the lack of sleep. But it seems to be a recurring pattern since I can remember. It could also be too much of the same activity I guess. I think in the winter, spring and fall I do other sports, but summer is just a lot of biking... maybe "training fatigue" of some sort?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
my plan as of now is:
Both sides of Garage would get the following:
1x 120 @20amp (on own breaker)
1x 220 @30 amp (on own breaker)

If the electrician says that is too much, then only 1 side would get a 220 circut
not sure if I should have electrician put in a sub panel for that
So, in my case the garage is detached. I paid an electrician to run 220/50amp from my main panel and install a sub. I personally installed a single run of 120 on a 15 amp breaker for three outlets on the north side of the garage, and the 220 I put in yesterday went in on a 40 amp breaker. It's possible in theory that I can exceed the 50 amp breaker to my sub. The only thing I'm running on the 120 circuit currently is a stinger flashlight charger and a charger for my commuter bike light. Sometimes I also plug in a 12volt battery charger. The Leaf has a built in charger controller that maxes at 32 amps, so I should be fine. You may put yourself in a situation where if all things are running at max you can still exceed the amp load for the sub. I wanted a bigger sub but it would have required replacing my main, and that was $$$$$.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just got a $500 bonus prorated from my last job. Totally forgot that I would get one. Hell, I didn't even factor for it. That's like, 20% of the bike I wanted to buy. Fuck yeah!

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So, in my case the garage is detached. I paid an electrician to run 220/50amp from my main panel and install a sub. I personally installed a single run of 120 on a 15 amp breaker for three outlets on the north side of the garage, and the 220 I put in yesterday went in on a 40 amp breaker. It's possible in theory that I can exceed the 50 amp breaker to my sub. The only thing I'm running on the 120 circuit currently is a stinger flashlight charger and a charger for my commuter bike light. Sometimes I also plug in a 12volt battery charger. The Leaf has a built in charger controller that maxes at 32 amps, so I should be fine. You may put yourself in a situation where if all things are running at max you can still exceed the amp load for the sub. I wanted a bigger sub but it would have required replacing my main, and that was $$$$$.
mmmmmmmmbork

maybe I will downsize those 220 circuits to 20amp, or drop down to 1 220@20amp

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ran into similar with our new detached garage, I wanted an EV charge port ability in there but it would have needed uprating the main breaker box :(

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Ran into similar with our new detached garage, I wanted an EV charge port ability in there but it would have needed uprating the main breaker box :(
I was lucky to get what I got. My main is now maxed out. I was hoping to future proof the ev charger some by going at least 40 Amps. Since the Leaf has it's own cap of 32, it's not a big deal for now, but it could be an issue for the next car.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Depends on what you want to run on that 220. Probably okay for a washing machine or other household item, but if you're looking to run a welder or some fancy homebrew setup, you might be SOL
bandsaw (now) and dust collector (future)
bandsaw only draws 12 amps, co-worker suggested that since I was going to be going to the trouble of installing 220 circuits, that I install 30amp (versus original 20)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I was lucky to get what I got. My main is now maxed out. I was hoping to future proof the ev charger some by going at least 40 Amps. Since the Leaf has it's own cap of 32, it's not a big deal for now, but it could be an issue for the next car.
The Model 3 has a 48A charger so would need a 60A circuit and 50A EVSE to max it out. I make do with my 50A circuit like yours and 40A EVSE.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Diet is pretty much the same. Beer intake hasn't really risen. I find I wake up earlier because daylight causes my kids to wake up earlier (despite blackout curtains).

I recently switched to riding packless. I drink water. I have a large (26oz.) water bottle in my frame, and another 17 oz. folding bottle I carry in my bibs. Works well: I haven't run out of water in the past month I've been doing this. I even bought a button-up hiking shirt that's 100% polyester, quick-dry and highly breathable (Marmot Syrocco). I rode with only 2 buttons done up yesterday, and it was great. I could barely feel it against my skin, and anytime I could get moving again, the wind cooling me off was glorious!

Could be the lack of sleep. But it seems to be a recurring pattern since I can remember. It could also be too much of the same activity I guess. I think in the winter, spring and fall I do other sports, but summer is just a lot of biking... maybe "training fatigue" of some sort?
find an electrolyte drink mix you like. during hot months this makes a noticeable difference; you're sweating alot more. when you sweat a lot, you're not just losing liquid, but salts (electrolytes). i've been having good luck with skratch labs and osmo.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Near Belgrade Lakes is the A-Trail

Bath riding is all from in-town. Lots of trail in the south end of town. I usually park near Goddards Pond, or next to the Hyde school track.

Both are on Trailforks.

Nope.
Been building our the Bath house for two years but recently found some trails on Trailforks.
Hiked some trails around belgrade but usually there with non riders.
Have done the blackstrap trails in Falmouth but its been a few years.

Any suggestions? And what do you suggest up your way?
We just got septic done and close to having plumbing so riding up there is on the horizon finally.