Quantcast

Friday GMT

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got a little plowy on the connector trail with those embedded sharp rocks. Flat number two.

Good spot to teach the lady friend how to change a tube.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The first sign in this series of pictures has been showing up in a lot of the local parks, and was created and placed by the county's open space / parks and rec department. And while there are certainly legitimate complaints and concerns about riders riding too fast on multi-use, bi-direction trails, it's always stuck in my craw that there is not and never has been any other messaging to address other bad behavior in the parks, or to even educate other trail users about the overall use patterns on the local trails.

About 10 years ago the county restricted mountain bike use in one particular park on odd days, and so now most mountain bikers only go to that park on the even days -- those are the days the fun trail is open to descend. No other user groups have travel restrictions at this park. So IMNSHO the county essentially just threw gasoline on an already hot topic (the use restrictions) and made it worse with these signs that blamestorm behavior which they essentially created with a shitty management policy.

So apparently someone decided to address the issue, that other issues weren't being addressed. They went guerrilla style on it, and made up a few signs to mimic the county's sign, and hopefully educate other trail users in the process. Seriously, whoever did this has my thanks. I'd like to buy them a beer. Who knows how long these signs will stay up, but with any luck the county will get the point.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The first sign in this series of pictures has been showing up in a lot of the local parks, and was created and placed by the county's open space / parks and rec department. And while there are certainly legitimate complaints and concerns about riders riding too fast on multi-use, bi-direction trails, it's always stuck in my craw that there is not and never has been any other messaging to address other bad behavior in the parks, or to even educate other trail users about the overall use patterns on the local trails.

About 10 years ago the county restricted mountain bike use in one particular park on odd days, and so now most mountain bikers only go to that park on the even days -- those are the days the fun trail is open to descend. No other user groups have travel restrictions at this park. So IMNSHO the county essentially just threw gasoline on an already hot topic (the use restrictions) and made it worse with these signs that blamestorm behavior which they essentially created with a shitty management policy.

So apparently someone decided to address the issue, that other issues weren't being addressed. They went guerrilla style on it, and made up a few signs to mimic the county's sign, and hopefully educate other trail users in the process. Seriously, whoever did this has my thanks. I'd like to buy them a beer. Who knows how long these signs will stay up, but with any luck the county will get the point.

i saw these this morning on FB from a college friend who lives in boulder

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
If you don't ride Doctor Park I don't know that we can be friends. I usually do that one as a big-ass shuttle from Reno Ridge that looks like Reno > Flag > Bear > Doctor, but that's probably difficult for ya'll to set up. And riding Doctor Park as a loop by pedaling up Spring Creek is a grunt.

Not that you need any advice as it A.) sounds like you've been before and B.) you can't swing a dead cat without hitting 3 great rides in that place... seriously CB is super amazing, and there are so many good rides there, and since you can start linking things together to make some really big days? Fuggetaboutit. One of my favorite combos is 409 > Point Lookout > 409.5 > Strand > Canal... which is apparently now mapped out on MTB Project as the 409s and Point Lookout Loop.

The best resource I can offer for riding in CB is Frank and Brittany's blog... it's got all the goods. My friends and I often troll that thing for ride ideas, not just in CB but all over that part of the state. For example, this ride we did was partially if not entirely inspired by this trip report from Frank and Brittany.
Yep 409 and Lookout is on the list!!!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There are some interestingly dressed people renting DH bikes here at Killington.

You know the type... knee pads on top of yoga pants, goggle straps under the XC road helmet, no visor full faces etc etc

But on another note, have seen two old Yeti 303's, an Iron Horse Sunday and two Ellsworths.

Oh yeah and a few guys taking their e-bikes on the lift. Huh?

Final note, Killington is hooooge big compared to any resort at home.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If you're on a lift anyway what's the difference? Seems like it's kosher there because Killington's land is leased from the state. Most all resorts out west are leased USFS land thus no e-bikes allowed on the mountain proper. I'd take my Shuttle out to Trestle if I could, not that the e-ness would really change anything.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Got everything done so I could go for a ride and now it's raining. Sever T-storm warning for the Rock so no hiking either. Haven't been in the woods since Sunday.

:rant:

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are some interestingly dressed people renting DH bikes here at Killington.

You know the type... knee pads on top of yoga pants, goggle straps under the XC road helmet, no visor full faces etc etc

But on another note, have seen two old Yeti 303's, an Iron Horse Sunday and two Ellsworths.

Oh yeah and a few guys taking their e-bikes on the lift. Huh?

Final note, Killington is hooooge big compared to any resort at home.
Killington has been pimping e-bikes. The State of Vermont hasn't.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Haley was asking about Yellowstone blowing up again this morning. That got us onto a conversation about ash clouds and how they impact seasons. Eventually, we started talking about Krakatoa. She asked me to find something to watch so she could learn more about it. We found a few videos right before school and when she got out, it was the first thing she asked about. We're just finishing up watching it now. I love that she always wants to learn more.