Quantcast

}}} Friday GMT {{{

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Same story with a friend. It was recovered two days later abandoned in a ditch, but had been crashed, the airbags deployed, and the inside was shredded. 98% of the time, getting a check from insurance is the best outcome.

sounds exactly like what happened to my brother. He was told that theives do this to try and total the cars so they can possibly buy them back at auction and often put the parts they stole off of them right back on.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I've read a bunch of stuff about Ti spokes, mostly that the noodly myth is just that, a myth. The wheel is going to be my comfy rear wheel for longer days in the saddle or for faster and less aggro rides so a bit of compliance is welcome.
The noodly part is not a myth. At the same diameter, the increased elasticity of the material makes them stretch more under load. To avoid having spokes come lose all the time from nipples twisting because of unloading, you have to increase the spoke tension. That increases the likelyhood of failure either on the bend or, more likely, the thread.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The noodly part is not a myth. At the same diameter, the increased elasticity of the material makes them stretch more under load. To avoid having spokes come lose all the time from nipples twisting because of unloading, you have to increase the spoke tension. That increases the likelyhood of failure either on the bend or, more likely, the thread.

They seem largely made for BMX bikes these days. I wouldn't be shocked if he was putting 20" wheels on his MTB.

Ti is plenty tough I doubt they would be fragile, however the less stiff the material is, the more load is placed on the first few threads where it is fastened. Nipple blowouts can be a problem, and no fun I can tell you that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
En route to mountains, wife driving the I-70 bit of it. She is quite grumpy today.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
We've been transitioning between rain and snow the last few days......which really just means every time I walk outside there's a 2-3ft wall of slush pushed up at the end of the driveways by plows.

You know you got a monster when your snowblower trucks right through that shit, throws it well across the street while the neighbors are having to move it by shovel fulls because their blowers won't work. And every one of them stops what they're doing and stares..... :rofl:

I HAVE THE MOST COMPENSATED PENIS ON THE BLOCK!!!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA