Quantcast

Friday, has the world reset yet, GMT

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Still awake due to dark chocolate fondue with dinner. Ski tuning stand built and two pairs of skis tuned & waxed. Two more pairs tomorrow. Looks like at least one ski, possibly two, will need ptex repairs.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
spent new years eve ordering more vinyl

flavor crystals
garcia peoples
chris forsyth

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Bicycle loaded and in the truck. I shall be departing to ride in a bit. First ride of the new year, and first ride in a solid month. Let's see if I can coax my fat ass around the trails.

spent new years eve ordering more vinyl

flavor crystals
garcia peoples
chris forsyth
Thanks for the reminder, we require a new record player. Time to peruse and see if I can piece together a reasonable system for a reasonable price.

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Got to bed early too. Couldn't wait for this year to be over.
More ski today. Need to burn that tarte au sucre!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Had my dates wrong, so taking the man boy and Lil Man out this morning to lose a few golf balls. Looking forward to riding with them soon now he's all moved in and Gateway Green is open.

Not sure if the Lumberyard will survive this year. :(

We are supposed to be in for some sort of shit storm starting maybe ten PM, rain, snow, ice, all that shit.

My city boy ex brother in law is planning to drive up Tuesday in his Highlander to look at a house in Middlebury. He's running "all weather" tires. Good luck coming over the Greens if there's any weather, Nicky!

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Happy New Year People. I would like to say I’m going for a ride today. But again rain derailed that attempt. So it’s mimosas and foosball instead.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. Wrapping up a long workweek today. Skiing tomorrow: me, wife, elder two kids (eldest in Devo as usual).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hannah decided this am was a good one to wake up early and and want to play in our room. Fucking loving being awake since 7am, given I didn't go to sleep until after 1am.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Hannah decided this am was a good one to wake up early and and want to play in our room. Fucking loving being awake since 7am, given I didn't go to sleep until after 1am.
this Hannah girl sounds like a little brat. You should get rid of her and buy a new one.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
this Hannah girl sounds like a little brat. You should get rid of her and buy a new one.
Let me see, if he can get 30K for her and with a 1.5% interest rate on a loan he might be able to upgrade to the better model and break even within 3-4 years. ;) :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Happy New Year fellow monkeys, wishing you and yours a very good 2021. Actually, I'm wishing a good 2021 for the entire planet! May the goodness be shared by all.

I closed off 2020 by toasting the rear hub in my fatty. Blew the pawls apart. Lucky for me, my LBS entered the world of rebadged taiwanese carbon rims a few years back, and were the first to sell fatbikes in my town, so they have a large stock of spare fatbike wheel parts. I should have my wheel built up to a new hub by mid next week. I don't think I'll go carbon rim just yet, the weight savings for the cash outlay don't appeal to me. And I'm still scared of breaking carbon rims.

It was a good ride though. One of my buddies has spent a lot of time pond skipping on his skis, and knows how to connect a bunch of them. After 5 seasons of fatbiking, it's awesome to still be discovering new routes.

1609520640896.png

while I wait for the wheel, I guess I'll have to go torture myself some more on the skate skis. Just gave them a fresh wax, so hopefully that helps a bit. I might need an xc-ski shape though, scraping the wax off such flexy skis is a bit of a pain in the butt. I've seen simple solutions made of 2x4s glued together and cut to shape... New Years resolution #1!

New Years resolution #2 is to buy a canoe. Will go explore the local waterways with the boys this summer, and maybe even do a bunch of weekend camping trips with the boys. My wife is on board with this, and it's something I've always wanted to do. No time like 2021...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Lame wingdings. :hmm:

Low key celebrations last night, didn't even open the bottle of wine. Rode this morning on frozen dirt, was good. Lunch time sparkling wine seems to be the first great innovation of 2021 - Gruet from from NM FTW.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the only time i sleep for 6 hours is on vacation...

you are lucky...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't think I'll go carbon rim just yet, the weight savings for the cash outlay don't appeal to me. And I'm still scared of breaking carbon rims.
Do it. I have a nearly ten year old set of chinesium carbon rims and they have held up under my fat ass. And fat bikes are one of the lower risk applications.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Do it. I have a nearly ten year old set of chinesium carbon rims and they have held up under my fat ass. And fat bikes are one of the lower risk applications.
Fat bike rims are just single wall, rather than the reinforced triangle that you have with a normal rim.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Fat bike rims are just single wall, rather than the reinforced triangle that you have with a normal rim.
I'm with 6th on this one. My two buddies who have/had carbon rims have both broken multiple rims. On the plus side, they can be repaired (there's a guy about an hour down the road that makes custom paddles for Olympic athletes who also repairs carbon stuff). But it's still a high-cost, high-risk, low-reward proposition in my mind...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Between post dinner electrical work in the new house, kennel training the puppy, and the practice armageddon my neighbors unleashed at midnight - 5 hours of sleep. Happy New Year. Moar electrical work scheduled for today.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I'm with 6th on this one. My two buddies who have/had carbon rims have both broken multiple rims. On the plus side, they can be repaired (there's a guy about an hour down the road that makes custom paddles for Olympic athletes who also repairs carbon stuff). But it's still a high-cost, high-risk, low-reward proposition in my mind...
Nextie got some single wall and double wall crabon rims. If you only ride on snow I wouldn't hesitate to go crabon. Glad you can get your wheel fixed rapidly. My remplacement hub is BO until end of January, so is the new fartbike. :(

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
#2 is to buy a canoe. Will go explore the local waterways with the boys this summer, and maybe even do a bunch of weekend camping trips with the boys. My wife is on board with this, and it's something I've always wanted to do. No time like 2021...
Look into the kevlar or Carbon fiber canoes, they are a bit more expensive but a 17 footer weighs less than 35 pounds and just glides through the water. my buddy has one it's really nice
88959885_3324749087542078_4290129071175630848_o1.jpg