Quantcast

Friday, has the world reset yet, GMT

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Look into the kevlar or Carbon fiber canoes, they are a bit more expensive but a 17 footer weighs less than 35 pounds and just glides through the water. my buddy has one it's really niceView attachment 154253
:stupid:

I have two canoes, the first one I bought used - a straight up Kevlar with Aluminum trim ( Swift Kipawa - 16.5 ft @45lbs) and the second I ordered (Swift Winisk -17.5ft @ 38lbs) in Carbon-Kevlar trimmed in Cherry...:drool:

Of the two, I much prefer the Winisk. Whilst the extra length requires a bit more finesse in the creeks, the extra capacity, speed and stability on the open lakes really makes up for it. Both canoes are used primarily for multi-day backwoods canoe-camping up here in Flatario mostly in Algonquin Provincial Park.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
:stupid:

I have two canoes, the first one I bought used - a straight up Kevlar with Aluminum trim ( Swift Kipawa - 16.5 ft @45lbs) and the second I ordered (Swift Winisk -17.5ft @ 38lbs) in Carbon-Kevlar trimmed in Cherry...:drool:

Of the two, I much prefer the Winisk. Whilst the extra length requires a bit more finesse in the creeks, the extra capacity, speed and stability on the open lakes really makes up for it. Both canoes are used primarily for multi-day backwoods canoe-camping up here in Flatario mostly in Algonquin Provincial Park.
using a dry bag on the rear deck and the front hatch compartment I can make my 13.5 Hobie Revolution work for kayak camping

88237084_3324755940874726_8271338384748707840_o.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Look into the kevlar or Carbon fiber canoes, they are a bit more expensive but a 17 footer weighs less than 35 pounds and just glides through the water. my buddy has one it's really niceView attachment 154253
Yeah, I have a fair bit of research to do. I know I'll need something durable, as we have some world class swift water tripping routes around here. For tripping, with kids, I know I need something durable. But I don't want it to be an anchor (no pun intended!) We have a local outfitter that makes some good boats. I'm thinking something like this: https://www.trailheadpaddleshack.ca/trailhead-canoes-prospector-17-kevlar-aluminium-tr.html

I have a friend who's a serious paddler, he has both a kevlar tripping boat and a white water boat. He also had two kids, and has spent a few summers paddling almost every weekend. I'll have to pick his brain.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Two sets of skis finished. Two with wax cooling.

Currently at Carmax getting an appraisal. Bolt is likely leaving us soon. Bummer on loss from depreciation, but with new corporate meeting structure, this thing won't be paid for by the company anymore.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
saw news of the world.....socially distanced about 50 feet in every direction....

dropped a narlus print off at hobby lobby to be framed for older brother....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Currently at Carmax getting an appraisal. Bolt is likely leaving us soon. Bummer on loss from depreciation, but with new corporate meeting structure, this thing won't be paid for by the company anymore.
Booo.....

I'm curious what they offer you. I've read a couple recent white people horror stories about trade in value of a LEAF, including one where carmax offered the guy 10 bucks for one only several years old. I'm not terribly concerned about mine as I plan on driving it/handing it down to the kid until the battery catches fire or the wheels fall off, but still, hate to be upside down on a car at any time.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Booo.....

I'm curious what they offer you. I've read a couple recent white people horror stories about trade in value of a LEAF, including one where carmax offered the guy 10 bucks for one only several years old. I'm not terribly concerned about mine as I plan on driving it/handing it down to the kid until the battery catches fire or the wheels fall off, but still, hate to be upside down on a car at any time.
$18k

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What's your net depreciation per month of ownership come out to be (including registration/taxes)?
Really bad. A bit over $700/m. But the long-term cost savings from fuel efficiency don't justify forward running costs and annual depreciation (assuming 10%), even with already taken depreciation.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Not yet...I was almost 5hrs into the ride as is at that point and that took the little wind left out of my sails. Conditions weren't ideal either....freshly thawed ice and peanut buttery mud. Attempt #2 would have been half assed (see what I did there?) at best. Will try again in better conditions.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
@StiHacka I'll be amazed if I can even walk around the next couple days partially well, let alone ride. Pain already setting in on the hip/thigh, already can't sit on it....pretty giant lump too. :mad:

But.....maybe? I was gone way longer than expected today so might ruffle feathers at home going out again so soon, but will let you know by tomorrow.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Really bad. A bit over $700/m. But the long-term cost savings from fuel efficiency don't justify forward running costs and annual depreciation (assuming 10%), even with already taken depreciation.
Oof. Makes my $600 and change cost for the 18 months of Tesla time seem like a bargain! :D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oof. Makes my $600 and change cost for the 18 months of Tesla time seem like a bargain! :D
Correction! Only ~$600. Company did give me a bunch over $1000 in mileage compensation, that my actual cost was like, $12. :think: