Quantcast

||| Friday |||

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Fireplace hearth bench installed and refi docs notarized (talk about time consuming). Got done with the bench just before the rain got here so the tools all got put away. Time to cut rock now.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
you're a dick.
I'll cheap out on bike parts, but not on the important stuff. Buying the 18th axle standard that SRAM came up with this week is stupid- we always overpay and tip our babysitters and continued to pay our house cleaners when they didn't show up due to covid.

we aren't vineyard vines wealthy, but the goal was to pay a little less than we would compared to the combination of daycare and summer camp, which is a shit ton. she didn't offer up any requests when I asked her to think about wage. She suggested 15-20 an hour, which is simple, but how many hours is she working if the kids are on their tablets for an hour and a half but she's here for 8 hours in total? is that 8 hours or 6.5? what if we allow her to leave for that time and then come back after- is she still paid? one of the kids is 3, but the other is older and capable of wiping her own ass...does that qualify for a discount? what if the older one goes to summer camp for a week, does she deserve the full wage even though she's only watching one kid?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, and she isn't giving us a "I'd like to get X per week and work these hours" so I'm making it up as I go along. I offered her more based on this conversation, after realizing I was probably underpaying, so don't be a dickhead.
If I wasn't a dick at least a portion of the time, would this even be Ridemonkey? :D

In all seriousness though, I threw this one to the wife, as she is tied into the MA nanny network and has seen how things work in this area. While all families are different, if you like this woman and want her to be happy, a decent arrangement looks like this.

1. Set defined hours for her to work for which she gets paid. As in, she works Monday - Friday, 8am to 5 pm, and will receive $20/hr. These are her standard hours which she can be expected to work each week. If you let her go early on a particular day, you should still expect to pay her for the full day. If she elects to come in late or leave early, you should not be expected to pay unless you are giving her that benefit.

2. If you ask her to work outside of these defined hours, you should expect to pay her for those hours. Her schedule shouldn't be a flexible, oh, come in 2 hours late on Monday and stay 2 hours late Wednesday afternoon. She might be accommodating and do that for you sometimes, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. She has a life and plans too, and some stability will go a long way in happiness.

3. Establish some schedule expectations for your child. No more than 1 hour of tablet time per day, no more than 1 hour of TV per day, etc. If you want her to practice reading with one of your children, outline that too. Otherwise the day will be up to her to fill as she sees fit.

4. If you don't want to pay her for her lunch hour or whatever, just be clear that she is not expected to stay on the premises, or attend to the children during this time. If they wake up during nap, that is on you.

5. If you elect to take time off during her normally scheduled work week, you should also expect to compensate her for those hours. You may elect to have her perform other duties that are within the scope of her responsibility, like the children's laundry, or take care of household activities, but if you are electing not to have her work hours she ordinarily would be, you should pay.

6. Personally, I wouldn't go the route of trying to pursue different wages for different situations. Be clear about your expectations for the children's schedules, when she should be taking care of one, and when she should be taking care of both. Come to an agreement on a fair wage, all encompassing. It'll be far easier to account for.

7. If you are not providing her with one of your vehicles, but still expect her to drive as a responsibility of her job, you should expect to compensate her for that too.

8. Establish an activity budget to allow for fun, outside of the house excursions. On a similar note, if she is out and about with the kids and you have given her permission to get food from a restaurant, you should cover her meal too.

9. Paid time off, and sick time off are up for negotiation as well. I don't know how long you plan to keep her, but granting some of that is a nice gesture.

10. Perhaps most importantly, let her do her damn job, especially if you are both working from home at the moment. Your children will come running to you for some reason or another, and they will lie about what the mean nanny is making them do. Don't undermine her authority and cow-tow to the demands of your preciouses, it'll just make your relationship with nanny a fraught one.

Just FYI, the Vineyard Vines thing and social commentary on teachers wasn't directed at you, more so a general observation about the spending habits of the wealthy and our priorities as a society.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
If I wasn't a dick at least a portion of the time, would this even be Ridemonkey? :D

In all seriousness though, I threw this one to the wife, as she is tied into the MA nanny network and has seen how things work in this area. While all families are different, if you like this woman and want her to be happy, a decent arrangement looks like this.

1. Set defined hours for her to work for which she gets paid. As in, she works Monday - Friday, 8am to 5 pm, and will receive $20/hr. These are her standard hours which she can be expected to work each week. If you let her go early on a particular day, you should still expect to pay her for the full day. If she elects to come in late or leave early, you should not be expected to pay unless you are giving her that benefit.

2. If you ask her to work outside of these defined hours, you should expect to pay her for those hours. Her schedule shouldn't be a flexible, oh, come in 2 hours late on Monday and stay 2 hours late Wednesday afternoon. She might be accommodating and do that for you sometimes, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. She has a life and plans too, and some stability will go a long way in happiness.

3. Establish some schedule expectations for your child. No more than 1 hour of tablet time per day, no more than 1 hour of TV per day, etc. If you want her to practice reading with one of your children, outline that too. Otherwise the day will be up to her to fill as she sees fit.

4. If you don't want to pay her for her lunch hour or whatever, just be clear that she is not expected to stay on the premises, or attend to the children during this time. If they wake up during nap, that is on you.

5. If you elect to take time off during her normally scheduled work week, you should also expect to compensate her for those hours. You may elect to have her perform other duties that are within the scope of her responsibility, like the children's laundry, or take care of household activities, but if you are electing not to have her work hours she ordinarily would be, you should pay.

6. Personally, I wouldn't go the route of trying to pursue different wages for different situations. Be clear about your expectations for the children's schedules, when she should be taking care of one, and when she should be taking care of both. Come to an agreement on a fair wage, all encompassing. It'll be far easier to account for.

7. If you are not providing her with one of your vehicles, but still expect her to drive as a responsibility of her job, you should expect to compensate her for that too.

8. Establish an activity budget to allow for fun, outside of the house excursions. On a similar note, if she is out and about with the kids and you have given her permission to get food from a restaurant, you should cover her meal too.

9. Paid time off, and sick time off are up for negotiation as well. I don't know how long you plan to keep her, but granting some of that is a nice gesture.

10. Perhaps most importantly, let her do her damn job, especially if you are both working from home at the moment. Your children will come running to you for some reason or another, and they will lie about what the mean nanny is making them do. Don't undermine her authority and cow-tow to the demands of your preciouses, it'll just make your relationship with nanny a fraught one.

Just FYI, the Vineyard Vines thing and social commentary on teachers wasn't directed at you, more so a general observation about the spending habits of the wealthy and our priorities as a society.
Having kids seems hard. I'll have another beer instead.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

WHERE'D THAT DAMN REP BUTTON GO???
Having kids seems hard. I'll have another beer instead.
y not both?
1592598273049.jpeg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I forgot to zip up my pocket properly and the phone fell out while riding yesterday. I backtracked up the trail to hoping to find it or run into someone who did. I bypassed one section of one way trail that is fast with blind corners so as not to cause a high speed collision.

Turns out someone found my phone and I managed to pass them by on that short section of trail. A hiker gave it to another biker who promised to try and find the owner. When I got home and pulled up my phone location via my work phone I was already tracking the dude when he answered when I called him. Thankfully he lived fairly close to me and I was able to pick up my phone and offer a 6er of Oskar Blues.

He actually lived just a few blocks from the CHAZ/CHOP. I didn't get close enough to see it but everything in the surrounding areas seemed perfectly normal.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
He actually lived just a few blocks from the CHAZ/CHOP. I didn't get close enough to see it but everything in the surrounding areas seemed perfectly normal.
Obviously you drove there in your APC???

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Obviously you drove there in your APC???
Nope. I was hoping to look like an anarchist and blend in. After meeting the dude who had my phone I realized I failed miserably. I clearly was not an artisinal free range vegan and displayed no signs of irony. I was lucky to make it out alive, or at least not recruited to an anarchist gun club or turned trans.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I forgot to zip up my pocket properly and the phone fell out while riding yesterday. I backtracked up the trail to hoping to find it or run into someone who did. I bypassed one section of one way trail that is fast with blind corners so as not to cause a high speed collision.

Turns out someone found my phone and I managed to pass them by on that short section of trail. A hiker gave it to another biker who promised to try and find the owner. When I got home and pulled up my phone location via my work phone I was already tracking the dude when he answered when I called him. Thankfully he lived fairly close to me and I was able to pick up my phone and offer a 6er of Oskar Blues.

Yesterday we found a nice S10 in the ferns. We were biking with our dogs in a "no dogs no bikes" network. The consensus was that if we came across someone looking for their cell and they were dicks about us being there on bikes with our dogs, we would chuk the phone in the closest beaver pond. Turns out this french (from France) couple were looking for it and were all over the dogs! She was happy to get her cell back intact. ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yesterday we found a nice S10 in the ferns. We were biking with our dogs in a "no dogs no bikes" network. The consensus was that if we came across someone looking for their cell and they were dicks about us being there on bikes with our dogs, we would chuk the phone in the closest beaver pond. Turns out this french (from France) couple were looking for it and were all over the dogs! She was happy to get her cell back intact. ;)
In the past year I have found a phone and an expensive pair of sunglasses while riding and managed to track down both owners. I also found a $1 bill, but just kept that.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
To quote Charley Chaplain "I don't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member"

Also my shin bones are so mangled from pedals and rocks I could never pull off any kind of dress or skirt.
that was Groucho Marx.
and not with that attitude won't couldn't.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What's funny is I found the Denver weather to be kind of exhausting. So. Much. Sun.

I need those cold, grey, miserable days to recharge.

Our 3 months of cloudless skies and 18 hours of daylight does get to me after a while. Honestly more so than the 9 months of damp darkness. Wish things were mixed up a little more.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Our 3 months of cloudless skies and 18 hours of daylight does get to me after a while. Honestly more so than the 9 months of damp darkness. Wish things were mixed up a little more.
I get that. For some reason, I'm not bothered when it's raw and pissing rain, or just dumping snow. The variety keeps things interesting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Had a fantastic ride. Fucked off work, thunder was rumbling at the trailhead, so left the phone behind. Stayed sunny for the first hour despite the thunder. Got back on top of the hill for a short descent. Sky opened up and it dumped. Trails went from dusty to hero dirt in about 4 minutes. Finished the ride much cooler. Beer run in way home, mega successful. First Bissell Bros, then industrial arts.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I did nothing all day but shoot the shit with competitors. Back at the camper now. Doggo is fed (kibble with this mornings bacon grease and hot water. He is happy. Me I'm drinking beer and cooking ribs in a La Cruset in the oven. Glad I did not bring my bike. The road riding here is great but not when the wind is howling and the temps are dropping like they are just now. Too cold to even think about hanging out in the hammock even. I like making $250/day cash for being a slacker

preheating
104384021_3605732136110437_8002208872827974008_o.jpg

30 minutes left to cook

104710906_3605732702777047_4068710973434340445_o.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Since there was a 70% chance of rain yesterday I got to try out my ultralight umbrella mounted to the shoulder strap of my pack for hands free use. It's going to be awesome on those days where wearing a rain jacket will cause you to get soaked with sweat. Torso and down to the knees stay dry. Didn't get drenched with sweat on the climbs. Although it is a bit tricky on tight singletrack with lots of rhodos and laurel and will take some more practice.

Like this:

(not me)

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Had a wonderful first ride here in Copper City, MT. Some really fun stuff here! 2600 vert for ride 1, probably going for another 1k in a bit...
Make sure you stop at Wheat Montana to get sticky buns the size of your head if you want the diabeetus.

I also heartily recommend their 50 lbs bags of high protein local flour...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Done. Durock is up, L-edges installed, and cleaning up for tomorrow. I'm letting Wifey paint the TV book black once the mud dries. Banana plugs showed up for a/v today, so I can be ready to install that stuff once we're able to. Just remembered that I need to extend a hike in the ceiling to install a speaker... One more tonight.