Quantcast

$$$Friderp GMT$$$

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
better get my truck bak from the shop today, apparentlys fixing the oil leak has been a royal pain. some of the pigtail connectors were so oil soaked that they failed when reconnected after the seals on the turbo bed plate were replaced and new pictails had to be spliced in.

Good hour road ride after work last night

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
running around getting things ready for the beach. i hate this particular tradition. also, the beach in general. fml. bring on the coffee, and, soon, bring on the damn alcohol.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i regret yesterdays decision of not waiting for the train......

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Still crushed over having my bike stolen yesterday. Now I'm attempting to pick up the pieces and make sure the police (not that they will do anything about this) and the insurance company have what they need.

$2K homeowner's insurance deductible, so chances are I'm taking a bath on whatever I can afford to replace the Yeti with. Did my best yesterday at the shop asking for some sort of deal, we'll see what they come back with.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
:bonk:

Nights are getting hot, gotta install the AC unit soon. Also, despite ingesting sub-2000 calories and burning over-4000 calories a day for the past week, my fat ass refuses to to shrink. WTF. :blah:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Last day before 5 days off. Hoping to leave early despite not getting into the office until 9:00am today. Going to spend most of the time up in Maine, with the exception of tomorrow which will be spent riding Bear Brook in the morning with a buddy followed by hanging out with a friend who is in town from CO.

Trying to convince the lady that making the 2.5hr drive up Maine today sans top and doors is the right thing to do.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning and Three Day Weekend is hours away! Last night I had a very hard 8 mile run. 85 degrees, a hilly route, tired legs, and I had to give it a hard effort. 8 miles at 7:30 pace...not my fastest, but not bad all things considered. I think I lost five pounds on that run. :dead: This morning I was up early for a real easy 4 mile jog, which felt nice.

Still crushed over having my bike stolen yesterday. .
I saw this so I went and read yesterday's GMT. That really focking sucks, man. What a pisser. I'm really sorry to hear it. Good luck with trying to recover it.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Rode in the woods last till dark and rode into work this AM. Weather has been really nice.

Hoping to hit the farmers market on the way home to stock up on smoked pork products.

That really sucks about your bike @Adventurous Hope they catch the assholes who ripped off your Yeti.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Still crushed over having my bike stolen yesterday. Now I'm attempting to pick up the pieces and make sure the police (not that they will do anything about this) and the insurance company have what they need.

$2K homeowner's insurance deductible, so chances are I'm taking a bath on whatever I can afford to replace the Yeti with. Did my best yesterday at the shop asking for some sort of deal, we'll see what they come back with.
You've got to be f*in kidding me. See if they'll give you a piece level rebuild quote. That should mark up the px so that you can get a replacement for less.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Oil change, REI return, pick up new bike, slum around office for a few hours to plan upcoming research, pack for Seattle.

@Adventurous : if we can figure out logistics do you want to borrow my bike? I can't make it to the trails until the 16th and am out of town until the 12th so otherwise it'd just be sitting around idle.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hit up local bike shops / pawn shops, give them a picture of the bike and let them know its stolen. Offering a cash reward might help too.

edit: give it's grand larceny, that might be worth mentioning.

Last edited:

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Easy day at work today leaving at noon dinner with my 17 year old daughter at 6 tonight biking BBQ and beer all weekend with some coffee and sleep mixed in can't wait

Sorry about the loss of your yeti

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies! Today begins 4 days of social obligations I cannot avoid without having the "we never go anywhere or do anything" discussion. I may be able to squeeze a short ride Saturday afternoon but otherwise booked until Tuesday.

Tuesday is also the day I rejoin the full time working crowd... I've been off or 20 hours for 5 months so the tragedy cannot be overstated.

On the plus side I'm going to look for a new single malt scotch to take to party, sharing is a drag but I'll get my fill as I am not driving. :)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Fuuuuuck. Sorry to hear that. I hope the shop can help you out.
I have no idea where I am.

But it's super nice out here.
looks like somewhere along the St Lawrence... Possibly between Montreal and Quebec city?

Happy Canada day!

There's a neighbourhood party outside my place now, at least 40 kids and a bouncy castle. I predict vomit.

Thinking of taking my oldest to find Dory this afternoon to cool off a bit in a dark, air conditionned space.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Morning Monkies! Today begins 4 days of social obligations I cannot avoid without having the "we never go anywhere or do anything" discussion. I may be able to squeeze a short ride Saturday afternoon but otherwise booked until Tuesday.
next time that conversation occurs, ask her why she never wants to go mountain biking with you.

On the plus side I'm going to look for a new single malt scotch to take to party, sharing is a drag but I'll get my fill as I am not driving. :)
lately my go to is lagavulin. just the right amount of smokiness.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

So your shitty situation got me thinking about coverage. I'm going to call my agent today and discuss. I mean, any bike being lifted would suck, but having such a high deductible wouldn't help un-suck things.

Doesn't help for this situation, but full replacement value coverage will add little cost to your homeowners insurance in the future.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Oil change, REI return, pick up new bike, slum around office for a few hours to plan upcoming research, pack for Seattle.

@Adventurous : if we can figure out logistics do you want to borrow my bike? I can't make it to the trails until the 16th and am out of town until the 12th so otherwise it'd just be sitting around idle.
I appreciate the offer Toshi but I could never take you up on that. I will however gladly ride with you while you are on your new bike when you return however.

hit up local bike shops / pawn shops, give them a picture of the bike and let them know its stolen. Offering a cash reward might help too.

edit: give it's grand larceny, that might be worth mentioning.
The security team is pulling footage for me, now HR just has to release it. There are several cameras along the route he chose to take out of the facility, so there's that. Provided I am not legally prohibited from doing so I fully intend to disperse that footage to anyone who will host it, if not for the purposes of getting my bike back (probably a lost cause at this point), but more just out of pure spite. I am not above retribution.

Guy at the pawn shop (who also rode a Yeti and could commiserate with my plight) said once the serial numbers go to the cops they will go into a database that is accessible to all pawn shops. Provided they aren't unscrupulous, they will know it is a hot item.

So your shitty situation got me thinking about coverage. I'm going to call my agent today and discuss. I mean, any bike being lifted would suck, but having such a high deductible wouldn't help un-suck things.
You and me both. I'm guessing filing a claim will most certainly impact my rates, swapping to a lower deductible plan even moreso.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The security team is pulling footage for me, now HR just has to release it. There are several cameras along the route he chose to take out of the facility, so there's that. Provided I am not legally prohibited from doing so I fully intend to disperse that footage to anyone who will host it, if not for the purposes of getting my bike back (probably a lost cause at this point), but more just out of pure spite. I am not above retribution.

Guy at the pawn shop (who also rode a Yeti and could commiserate with my plight) said once the serial numbers go to the cops they will go into a database that is accessible to all pawn shops. Provided they aren't unscrupulous, they will know it is a hot item.
having footage will come well in handy if/when the thief is caught. start calling HR, tell them you need to provide it to the police. put some pressure on them.

a bike like a yeti isn't exactly a run of the mill item. hopefully it turns up. keep an eye on craigslist too.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Short office day.
Back to mixing new abortion-grade tracks I've been tinkering with.
Sunday exorcism themed noise performance for me and two conspirators.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
... with the exception of tomorrow which will be spent riding Bear Brook in the morning with a buddy followed by hanging out with a friend who is in town from CO.
About 9 years since I camped and rode in Bear Brook, I remember some fun trails in that area, Little Massabesic too.

@Adventurous, long shot but once you get it hosted you could always try and send links to the local news outlets of the video via tweeter and bookface etc.

What kind of lock did you have it secured to the truck with?

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You and me both. I'm guessing filing a claim will most certainly impact my rates, swapping to a lower deductible plan even moreso.
Dude, that sucks so bad.

When I had USAA, I had full replacement renters coverage and every year I didn't file a claim, my deductible when down and my coverage went up. Not sure on homeowners but dropping the deductible on my auto from $500 to $100 only cost me about $4 a month more. When the rental car got broke into, the window was $250 and my deductible was $500 :panic:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
he said $2k deductible
Right.

Actual bike px - $4500. Deductible - $2000. Net: -$2000
Part level bike px - $5500. Deductible - $2000. Net: -$1000

Simple math, Mr. Engineer.

We know somebody that has a shop who would probably gladly help out with something like this.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Right.

We know somebody that has a shop who would probably gladly help out with something like this.
I fail to see how this saves Tim any money? :think:

Edit- nevermind. I get it.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's lunch time again and #firstworldproblems are a real struggle. Where to eat in the vastness that is amazing foods, ugh. My heart is leaning towards a pork shnitzelwich, but a cheesesteak from the square would also work out well. I think I will get chowder from the deli because Friday.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Right.

dude. he said the deductible is $2k. he didn't say (at least not that i've seen) how much his insurance would cover for replacement. obviously the custom part price quote is gonna be higher.

if that math is so simple, then why'd you get it wrong? $4500 - $2000 = $2000? are you PSP?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
dude. he said the deductible is $2k. he didn't say (at least not that i've seen) how much his insurance would cover for replacement. obviously the custom part price quote is gonna be higher.

if that math is so simple, then why'd you get it wrong? $4500 - $2000 = $2000? are you PSP?
If insurance cuts him a check for $5,500, he's down $1,000 (-$4,500 originally paid, -$2,000 deductible, + $5,500 ins check = -$1,000 net)

On the other hand, if he gets a quote for what he paid ($4,500), he's out $2,000 (-$4,500 originally paid, -$2,000 deductible, + $4,500 ins check = -$2,000 net).

Then depending on how the shop wants to do it, they can then charge him for a replacement in such a way Tim saves $1,000 (shop doesn't make any extra), the shop makes $1,000 more (at no additional expense to Tim) or they split it (shop gets $500 more, Tim saves $500 from what he otherwise would have had to spend)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Sesame Street style:

If the bike is priced at $4500 and the deductible is $2000, he gets $2500 from the insurance company to replace his bike. --> $4500 (replacement bike px)-$2500 (insurance payment) = $2000 (out of pocket). Therefore, he is out $2000 to replace the bike.

If the bike is priced at $5500 and the deductible is $2000, he gets $3500 from the insurance company to replace his bike. --> $4500 (replacement bike price) - $3500 (insurance payment) = $1000 (out of pocket). Therefore, he is out $1000 to replace the bike.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Then depending on how the shop wants to do it, they can then charge him for a replacement in such a way Tim saves $1,000 (shop doesn't make any extra), the shop makes $1,000 more (at no additional expense to Tim) or they split it (shop gets $500 more, Tim saves $500 from what he otherwise would have had to spend)
The shop will just see it as the ability to sell another bike. Tim saves $1000, they sell another bike. Any good shop would do that, especially if they know you will be replacing your bike through them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If insurance cuts him a check for $5,500, he's down $1,000 (-$4,500 originally paid, -$2,000 deductible, + $5,500 ins check = -$1,000 net)

On the other hand, if he gets a quote for what he paid ($4,500), he's out $2,000 (-$4,500 originally paid, -$2,000 deductible, + $4,500 ins check = -$2,000 net).

oh ok, i didn't know we were accounting for insurance fraud here. thanks for clarifying.

gonna depend on whether the insurance company bases their payout on actual cost (what he paid) vs cost of replacement. I've heard with some older bikes / used bikes / bikes purchased on sale/clearance/other discount they'll go by cost of replacement.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
oh ok, i didn't know we were accounting for insurance fraud here. thanks for clarifying.

gonna depend on whether the insurance company bases their payout on actual cost (what he paid) vs cost of replacement. I've heard with some older bikes / used bikes / bikes purchased on sale/clearance/other discount they'll go by cost of replacement.
Most aren't going to look into whether you can buy the bike built that way. They're going to look at what the bike shop tells them it will cost to replace.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The shop will just see it as the ability to sell another bike. Tim saves $1000, they sell another bike. Any good shop would do that, especially if they know you will be replacing your bike through them.
It all depends on how nice/cool they are about it. From a strictly moral standpoint, splitting the extra would be the most fair to both parties, as the shop would have already helped Tim by redoing the quote at a part level (borderline fraudish), and in turn Tim is giving them money (again) by buying the bike there. Additionally, the shop already got paid in full for 1 bike already.

Of course $500 means more to Tim than the shop, but depending on the size of the shop, losing out on that potential $500 after already doing Tim a favor probably isn't something they're going to be all for. Then again, if they are a standup place and empathetic about the situation, I'm sure they will. Either way, both parties win*.

*As much as one can win given the circumstances.