Quantcast

***Friderp GMT***

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Have completed all required work. Stayed up too late last night drinking whiskey and watching Band of Brothers again. FTS levels peaking so going to leave to do bikes pretty soon.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
@stoney speed limit there is 75, not 90. So to pass him on the right doing 90 you not only put yourself at risk, you put him at risk, and all the other roadway users at risk as well. If he is doing the speed limit in the left lane you have no place to complain, if he is doing g less than the speed LIMIT, then you can complain.

Sorry if this makes me a dick, but it's people driving like you that killed a good friend of mine. They were about fifteen over the limit and went to pass and ended up rear ending my friend and killing him instantly.

Question for you, if speed LIMITS, which are laws, are OK for you to violate, in your book, what other laws are you OK with breaking and ignoring?
Seriously if you want the speed limit raised, write the proposal as to why it's better, take it to the state and get it on a ballot. But don't sit and complain that someone else following the law got in your way of breaking the law.
Slow the hell down.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
@stoney speed limit there is 75, not 90. So to pass him on the right doing 90 you not only put yourself at risk, you put him at risk, and all the other roadway users at risk as well. If he is doing the speed limit in the left lane you have no place to complain, if he is doing g less than the speed LIMIT, then you can complain.
This is absurd. Speed limit is 65. The dude complaining was ALREADY speeding. The left lane is for PASSING. Once you pass, you move to the right so people going faster than yourself can pass.

Simple, helpful chart:

If this is too difficult GET THE HELL OFF THE EXPRESSWAY and drive on surface streets. Although I'd recommend getting in the right lane when possible on those streets as well. :D

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Actually, speed limit there was raised to 75, Google's it to make sure. Unless that was just a section raised to 75 and the rest is still 65, which is a possibility.
Speeding is still breaking the law, and passing someone on the right still puts a great many people at risk. Specially when you are going fast enough you may not see that someone may be mid pass and you rear end someone in the right lane.
Just ask my friend... Oh wait that's right... That's exactly what killed him.
Sorry I have very little tolerance for wreckless drivers. Driving that far above the speed limit regardless of it being 65 or 75, is still flat out wreckless and endangers others.
In no way is is justified to drive that fast.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Actually, speed limit there was raised to 75, Google's it to make sure. Unless that was just a section raised to 75 and the rest is still 65, which is a possibility.
Uh, we live here. C-470 is marked 65 mph.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
OK, I can believe that. It's 65. So both drivers were speeding.

Does that make a substantial difference in how wreckless it is to pass someone on the right going 90 mph? Which is now confirmed to be 30 over?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Speeding is still breaking the law, and passing someone on the right still puts a great many people at risk. Specially when you are going fast enough you may not see that someone may be mid pass and you rear end someone in the right lane.
Just ask my friend... Oh wait that's right... That's exactly what killed him.
Sorry I have very little tolerance for wreckless drivers. Driving that far above the speed limit regardless of it being 65 or 75, is still flat out wreckless and endangers others.
Speeding ≠ Reckless on a limited access highway, IMO. The section of highway stoney was referring to has a 65mph speed limit. So was the guy bitching being reckless? He simply should NOT have been in the passing lane if he wasn't passing.

This is actually THE LAW here:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I drive the speed limit. But I also keep to the right.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Speeding ≠ Reckless on a limited access highway, IMO. The section of highway stoney was referring to has a 65mph speed limit. So was the guy bitching being reckless? He simply should NOT have been in the passing lane if he wasn't passing.

This is actually THE LAW here:

To be fair, I am not arguing the guy being passed was in the right, I in fact did not know till this post staying in the right lane is law there untill I was informed of this just now. Still makes no difference that driving 90 mph on this highway is wreckless, and puts multiple roadway users in an unnecessary amount of risk.
Complaining that someone was in your way because you were driving at the speed you were, 90 in the 65, does nothing but to show how truly wreckless you are.

Let's just say, speed limit is 65. Everyone is staying in the right lane, you are doing 90 in the left lane. Someone in the right is doing 58, the person behind them goes to pass, moving into the left lane seeing you but not being able to know you are doing 90 ends up pulling in front of you and you rear end the holy shit out of them.... You doing 90 will still be the one at fault, the one that actually caused the accident because of your wreckless was to be exceeding the speed limit at such levels to begin with........

It doesn't matter what kind of highway it is, 90 in the 65 is flat out wreckless and dangerous to the other roadway users

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

What a pisser of an ice storm. Its all melted and it isn't even noon yet. What the sh!t.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
1) DirtyMike, it's "reckless" although I do hope y'all don't wreck and therefore stay wreck-less.

2) Stoney will be released from his fiduciary duty soon thanks to Cheeto Jeebus. Bring back the 12-B fees and front loaded funds! (at least for other schmoes, not for me)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm not saying passing on the right doing 90 is ok, but the dick driving slower than traffic flow in the left lane trying to "control the speed of others" is taking the law into his own hands. Dirtymike, you're in law enforcement (sorta, I think, right?) Seems to me that taking the law into your own hands is always a recipe for disaster. I think there's two people in the wrong in that scenario. it's just that one is more of a dick than the other.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I'm not saying passing on the right doing 90 is ok, but the dick driving slower than traffic flow in the left lane trying to "control the speed of others" is taking the law into his own hands. Dirtymike, you're in law enforcement (sorta, I think, right?) Seems to me that taking the law into your own hands is always a recipe for disaster. I think there's two people in the wrong in that scenario. it's just that one is more of a dick than the other.
Yes I am in law enforcement, and yes taking the law into your own hands is a great recipe for disaster. And yes, both were being dicks one more than the other, both are in the wrong though. Never was I saying dude getting passed was in the right.

And it's not the one dirtymike thinks it is. :D
Give me your opinion on this again later when you have had it directly harm someone you care about. It's scary how many times someone speeding like that, 90 in the 65, and passing on the right causes a collision.
And in all blatancy, I would actually say they are both equally being dicks. I do agree if you are not passing stay right, even when it is not law.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Actually, I do. And depending on the location laws do too.
<shrug> That's your prerogative. I, personally, think that there are plenty of instances where driving 90 on a limited-access highway is not necessarily reckless, regardless of the law.

Bottom line is that people should get over to the right and not worry about the people passing them. :D

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I wonder how they do it on the autobahn. Oh wait - they are not allowed to travel in the left lane unless passing, and everyone pays attention to the road and other drivers. That will never work here because the only thing the cops care about is speed.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I wonder how they do it on the autobahn. Oh wait - they are not allowed to travel in the left lane unless passing, and everyone pays attention to the road and other drivers.
This is a pretty important point for driving on the road, regardless of speed. :thumb:

There is a road in Teton Valley I use to test where my governor is. 105. rural road, unlimited visibility. no turnoffs.
You reckless, uncaring bastard.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So my KS-Lev Integra started coming up by itself. I sent it to KS on Friday 2nd day air and got it back today. They replaced the cartridge and shipped it out in the same day. Fuck yeah !!

Taint slapper will be re-installed and ridden Sunday at Thuper Awethum with my retired pro-xc friend. She's been too busy with mom shit to ride much so maybe I can keep up with her.

:rockout:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
<shrug> That's your prerogative. I, personally, think that there are plenty of instances where driving 90 on a limited-access highway is not necessarily reckless, regardless of the law.

Bottom line is that people should get over to the right and not worry about the people passing them. :D

The best part of all of this is, we are not necessarily in any type of disagreement. I stand on speeding is speeding which is a fact, pretty sure you agree with that. But doing 90 in the 65 being reckless(thanks Toshi) on a limited access highway being wreckless or not has to be seen from all angles. I would probably agree if the roadway was empty, it is still a violation but not necessarily reckless. With that said if you are going g 20 plus mph faster than the normal flow of traffic you are being reckless.

All I really did here was call out Stoney for being reckless. I do free drivers need to be aware of other drivers, road conditions, posted speed limits etc etc, and if all drivers followed the rules and regulations in a given area and add that awareness no one can argue that it would reduce accident rates and keep everyone safer.....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
On a lighter and less argumentative note. The furniture store got a hold of me last night to inform me the maker of the bedframe that was lost in their flood not only agreed to rebuild a new on from white oak just like the original, but that it will be delivered to my home Wednesday morning between 1030 and 1100, they are covering the delivery and set up fees for my inconvenience. Will have the new mattress at the same time. Wife still has no idea.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
The best part of all of this is, we are not necessarily in any type of disagreement. I stand on speeding is speeding which is a fact, pretty sure you agree with that. But doing 90 in the 65 being reckless(thanks Toshi) on a limited access highway being wreckless or not has to be seen from all angles. I would probably agree if the roadway was empty, it is still a violation but not necessarily reckless. With that said if you are going g 20 plus mph faster than the normal flow of traffic you are being reckless.

All I really did here was call out Stoney for being reckless. I do free drivers need to be aware of other drivers, road conditions, posted speed limits etc etc, and if all drivers followed the rules and regulations in a given area and add that awareness no one can argue that it would reduce accident rates and keep everyone safer.....
Sounds like we do agree. Although I'm not going to call out stoney for being reckless. If it was indeed him that passed this dingbat... it could have been done in a completely safe manner.

Then again - maybe he was being a reckless ass. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Found out I'm losing my sweet cube with a view. They are redoing the floor layout up here to make the cubes smaller, so we are moving back down to the basement. No idea where and I hope I still at least have a window, but expectations are low. I don't make enough to have a legit view, but I was grateful for the one I had.