Quantcast

***Friderp GMT***

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yes, "bicycles" with batteries are just stupid.
Again, why? You’re missing out, old man. And you’re free to harbour a strong irrational prejudice against an exceptionally similar activity to one you really like, (which is a bit weird I gotta say, like a skateboarder hating longboards or something, or a skier hating telemarks) but why code for it in law? A uniquely American psychopathy I think. Literally discriminating against a slightly different form of having fun and getting exercise. Crazy.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Again, why? You’re missing out, old man. And you’re free to harbour a strong irrational prejudice against an exceptionally similar activity to one you really like, (which is a bit weird I gotta say, like a skateboarder hating longboards or something, or a skier hating telemarks) but why code for it in law? A uniquely American psychopathy I think. Literally discriminating against a slightly different form of having fun and getting exercise. Crazy.
Because we have donkeys trying to ride up DH trails on them.

And donkeys trying to race up hills on single track on them or blasting by hikers, without any regard for trail etiquette and whatnot.

There are legitimate concerns here with them. :(

There are also many many many n00bs riding them, which is perhaps part of the problem and why we see the above issues. But these are obviously things you don't do, as an experienced and what I assume as a courteous rider.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That said, i'd be more okay with e-bikes if we could start telling horses to fuck right off out of the forest single track. :rant:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Because we have donkeys trying to ride up DH trails on them.
Put a no entry/one way sign on the trail? Don’t most trails have this anyway?
And donkeys trying to race up hills on single track on them or blasting by hikers, without any regard for trail etiquette and whatnot.
So, basically because a few people are being impolite dicks you want to ban a whole class of a sport? Again, a sign at the trailhead explaining etiquette seems a lot more productive… This sounds a lot like when Snowboarding first took off and all the old assholes couldn’t deal. Now look.

There are legitimate concerns here with them. :(
With the bikes themselves? Such as?

There are also many many many n00bs riding them,
Surely a good thing?
which is perhaps part of the problem and why we see the above issues. But theset are obviously things you don't do, as an experienced and what I assume as a courteous rider.
I think it sounds like you have concerns with people’s behaviour, not ebikes. And, yes of course. I actually find trailrunners the least polite, but I give them the benefit of the doubt as they probably don’t have much breath. I really don’t think displaying basic manners to others on the trail is a ‘noob vs experience’ thing, in fact I’d go as far as to say the opposite…

I have played around with writing an article on this and gotten nowhere, but a few disordered points:
  • Manufacturers started offering ebikes because MTB sales had been flagging and they wanted to present a new toy.
  • Lifetimes of these electric motorcycles are going to be short because the technology's rapidly evolving.
  • At end of life, virtually nothing's going to be recyclable; this is driven mostly by carbon frames, which are not restricted to ebikes, but the point's valid.
  • People are working and are going to work around nominal power and speed limits.
  • User conflict between ebikes and real bicycles has been evident since they started to appear.
  • I fail to believe that heavier machines with higher power will not negatively impact trail surfaces.
Other bits
  • I think that ebikes might be OK for legitimately disabled riders.
  • Not MTB: Idiots all over the place ride bicycles on sidewalks. Add motors and this becomes significantly more dangerous for pedestrians.
  • I still like forty to sixty mile rides. I suspect that battery and motor on an ebike would become dead weight not too far into such a venture.
As an old fart with little cartilage remaining in my left knee, I'm still riding an MTB and enjoying it. Whenever the Tracer breaks, the replacement will have a metal frame, no motor, and no electric brakes or shifting if I can possibly manage it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
That said, i'd be more okay with e-bikes if we could start telling horses to fuck right off out of the forest single track. :rant:
Horses are a whole different thing. Trails need to be made a particular way in order to not be destroyed in wet conditions, or everyone has to accept the trail is in a certain condition. In NZ horses have totally different infrastructure and don’t share trails with walkers and bikers.

7D9D501D-2F67-451E-BB36-7B803DCB20F1.jpeg

Vs.
F7F2232D-D42F-4970-93C1-AC74EC71E3AA.jpeg

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Excuse the mess, I can’t be stuffed with the quotes.
  • Manufacturers started offering ebikes because MTB sales had been flagging and they wanted to present a new toy.
  • This argument is specious at best and be applied to literally any innovation in sport equipment.

• Lifetimes of these electric motorcycles are going to be short because the technology's rapidly evolving.
  • Ditto, and I would argue people will keep an ebike longer as the capital cost is higher.
  • At end of life, virtually nothing's going to be recyclable; this is driven mostly by carbon frames, which are not restricted to ebikes, but the point's valid.
  • This is a criticism of all modern consumer manufacturing, and to apply it only to one application of one sport is ridiculous. If you want to make s differencd here go after phones or cars first.

• People are working and are going to work around nominal power and speed limits.
  • That’s illegal. It’s also not really a practical problem where there is high ebike uptake because it’s obvious when it’s happening.

• User conflict between ebikes and real bicycles has been evident since they started to appear.
  • This is nothing to do with ebikes snd all about your society, sorry.

• I fail to believe that heavier machines with higher power will not negatively impact trail surfaces.
  • This isn’t supported by evidence and you’re saying you would also ban fat strong riders? Even with my extra 15lbs of eweight, lots of riders are way heavier and even with my extra 250w, I’m sure many competitive riders are capable of putting down more power than me.

• What about people who like to ride but also have very busy lives and kids, and who live around steep trails? Is that enough of a disability? This is a highly subjective and difficult argument. You’re basically saying only fit, experienced riders can ever ride.

• Not MTB: Idiots all over the place ride bicycles on sidewalks. Add motors and this becomes significantly more dangerous for pedestrians.
  • Infrastructure / regulation issue. Also you’ll note not an issue in places with actual high ebike uptake.

• I still like forty to sixty mile rides. I suspect that battery and motor on an ebike would become dead weight not too far into such a venture.
  • Depends on the mode you use, and battery/bike you choose. In the Alps there is a whole class of ebike riders who do exactly this sort of thing.

• As an old fart with little cartilage remaining in my left knee, I'm still riding an MTB and enjoying it. Whenever the Tracer breaks, the replacement will have a metal frame, no motor, and no electric brakes or shifting if I can possibly manage it.
  • I think you should keep your options open personally. :)

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I only wish that the e-bike revolution encouraged more people to use them as a mode of transportation. Designed properly, there's no reason they couldn't provide years of service.

Alas, the bicycle industry sucks at designing stuff that has a relevance and service life longer than a few years. Well that and we have an incredibly hostile attitude and infrastructure for traditional bikes, nevermind e-bikes.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I have played around with writing an article on this and gotten nowhere, but a few disordered points:
Other bits
As an old fart with little cartilage remaining in my left knee, I'm still riding an MTB and enjoying it. Whenever the Tracer breaks, the replacement will have a metal frame, no motor, and no electric brakes or shifting if I can possibly manage it.
Another point to add: when mountain biking took off, there was also a significant amount of trail building going along with it. In contrast, most e-bikers I see are just riding the trails provided to them and feel entitled to do so. Besides some folks that were on regular bikes before switch to e-bikes or riding them in parallel, I do not see any other e-bikers doing trail work.

I just leave this here: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-test-5-enduro-bikes-and-1-emtb-face-the-efficiency-test.html
ThEy ArE jUsT ReGuLaR BiKeS!!!!!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Excuse the mess, I can’t be stuffed with the quotes.
  • This argument is specious at best and be applied to literally any innovation in sport equipment.

• Ditto, and I would argue people will keep an ebike longer as the capital cost is higher.
  • This is a criticism of all modern consumer manufacturing, and to apply it only to one application of one sport is ridiculous. If you want to make s differencd here go after phones or cars first.

• That’s illegal. It’s also not really a practical problem where there is high ebike uptake because it’s obvious when it’s happening.

• This is nothing to do with ebikes snd all about your society, sorry.

• This isn’t supported by evidence and you’re saying you would also ban fat strong riders? Even with my extra 15lbs of eweight, lots of riders are way heavier and even with my extra 250w, I’m sure many competitive riders are capable of putting down more power than me.

• What about people who like to ride but also have very busy lives and kids, and who live around steep trails? Is that enough of a disability? This is a highly subjective and difficult argument.

• Infrastructure / regulation issue. Also you’ll note not an issue in places with actual high ebike uptake.

• Depends on the mode you use, and battery/bike you choose. In the Alps there is a whole class of ebike riders who do exactly this sort of thing.

• As an old fart with little cartilage remaining in my left knee, I'm still riding an MTB and enjoying it. Whenever the Tracer breaks, the replacement will have a metal frame, no motor, and no electric brakes or shifting if I can possibly manage it.
  • I think you should keep your options open personally. :)
For someone so concerned about the environment, you are doing an awful lot to promote an activity that is more environmentally harmful than riding a normal bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like my e-bike.

I don't think I'm causing any more trail damage than otherwise. I'm a respectful trail user, which isn't true of all e- or acoustic bikers by any means.

Jefferson County and Colorado State Parks are in agreement with me, and Class 1 e-bikes (no throttle, 20 mph max for assist) are 100% legal on bike trails in their jurisdiction.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Another point to add: when mountain biking took off, there was also a significant amount of trail building going along with it. In contrast, most e-bikers I see are just riding the trails provided to them and feel entitled to do so. Besides some folks that were on regular bikes before switch to e-bikes or riding them in parallel, I do not see any other e-bikers doing trail work.

I just leave this here: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-test-5-enduro-bikes-and-1-emtb-face-the-efficiency-test.html
ThEy ArE jUsT ReGuLaR BiKeS!!!!!
In NZ, people take their ebikes to help do trail maintenance because it’s easier to get up and down multiple times. Also Ebikers pay more for trails, appear more frequently on trail boards etc. because the reality is they are richer people who can afford this.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
For someone so concerned about the environment, you are doing an awful lot to promote an activity that is more environmentally harmful than riding a normal bike.
It’s a ridiculously tiny additional fraction, a literal drop in the ocean, and my personal health outcomes being improved will cost society less in the long term and make me a better happier person.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It’s a ridiculously tiny additional fraction, a literal drop in the ocean, and my personal health outcomes being improved will cost society less in the long term and make me a better happier person.
Also, in an NZ context, trail building now also defacto means reforestation, planting of natives bush, predator trapping, and generally environmental advocacy. So nope.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So you are one of those..... :brow:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well that escalated quickly.... :rofl:

I'm not against ebikes in general, don't get me wrong. But they have indeed introduced new problems around these parts.

What works in one part of the globe doesn't necessarily work in others. For example in Ontario, majority of trails are free to use. Majority of trails are also not signed and majority do not have a designated primary user. Adding ebikes to the mix only complicates this further.

I'm also on the outskirts of the biggest city in Canada and one of the larger ones in North America, so no, more riders are absolutely not a good thing. We've seen a boom over the last two years and it's been bad for trail access, maintenance, conflicts, etc etc :(

I dunno. It's all complicated but saying that society is the problem, isn't the fix.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Well that escalated quickly.... :rofl:

I'm not against ebikes in general, don't get me wrong. But they have indeed introduced new problems around these parts.

What works in one part of the globe doesn't necessarily work in others. For example in Ontario, majority of trails are free to use. Majority of trails are also not signed and majority do not have a designated primary user. Adding ebikes to the mix only complicates this further.

I'm also on the outskirts of the biggest city in Canada and one of the larger ones in North America, so no, more riders are absolutely not a good thing. We've seen a boom over the last two years and it's been bad for trail access, maintenance, conflicts, etc etc :(

I dunno. It's all complicated but saying that society is the problem, isn't the fix.
I am honestly not trying to be dick here but you just literally described a bunch of societal problems and then said society is not to blame. I mean it’s not like you’re short of actual land, are incapable of making signs, or incapable of producing more legislation. It’s just about how you approach it.

I do of course understand that land access, liability etc, have been ongoing issues in North America generally, and adding another ‘class’ of users has exacerbated this for some people. Objectively this is a reflection of the existing issues though, not ‘ebikes’. Seriously in what other sport (other than hunting wild animals) would we see more people doing it as a bad thing? This is crazy. Oh no more people are getting fit and healthy.
The solution is to do better at trail advocacy, do some really simple stuff like signs, not create yet another point of artificial conflict.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I am honestly not trying to be dick here but you just literally described a bunch of societal problems and then said society is not to blame. I mean it’s not like you’re short of actual land, are incapable of making signs, or incapable of producing more legislation. It’s just about how you approach it.

I do of course understand that land access, liability etc, have been ongoing issues in North America generally, and adding another ‘class’ of users has exacerbated this for some people. Objectively this is a reflection of the existing issues though, not ‘ebikes’. Seriously in what other sport (other than hunting wild animals) would we see more people doing it as a bad thing? This is crazy. Oh no more people are getting fit and healthy.
The solution is to do better at trail advocacy, do some really simple stuff like signs, not create yet another point of artificial conflict.
Let's ignore the problems with society, because there is no fix for that.

There is literally no more room for more trail users here. We are talking parking lots at trail heads are not only full, but over flowing onto surrounding roads. It's at the point now where you need to reserve a spot to get into provincial parks for day use. Places are getting closed because of overuse.

The management of forests, trail clubs and whatnot are also weird here. We've put signs up, only to have them torn down by the people in charge. We make trail improvements and do maintenance, but get shunned for it because of liability or some other nonsense.

Trail access was already a sensitive topic in a lot of places around here and ebikes have added to it. Talk to hikers of the Bruce Trail here how they like bikes vs ebikes. They dislike one and dislike the other more.