Quantcast

@@@ Friderp@@@

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Just did a ride with a 3400 foot (road) climb. It was so frickin’ windy coming back it took about the same time to pedal down 3400 feet as it was to climb UP it. And all of the sudden it is fire haze season (time for east coasters to gloat).

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Damit :(

Buddy last night - I got my latest project done a bit early...Bromont sounds like a great idea, wanna go?
Me - Fuckin A, lets do it.
Hey Nate - You in?
Nate - Bloody right I am.
Honey - Our Bromont trip has been decided. We are going to ride big bikes and are leaving later tonight. What do you think?
Wife - That's great, you guys have been talking about this for weeks. Hold on....
Nope, you can't go.
Me - Why?
Wife - You have your second Covid shot Sunday morning.
Me - FUCK!!!!!

:mad:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Buddy last night - I got my latest project done a bit early...Bromont sounds like a great idea, wanna go?
Hey Nate - You in?
Honey - Our Bromont trip has been decided. We are going to ride big bikes and are leaving later tonight. What do you think?
Wife - That's great, you guys have been talking about this for weeks. Hold on....
Nope, you can't go.
Me - Why?
Me - FUCK!!!!!

1625869364159.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just had my annual "US currency is failing, CPI is a political fraud, we should move everything to hard assets' BIL. He doesn't seem to grasp the concept of PE firms using leverage to buy houses to rent, as they are being treated effectively as buying bonds using leverage, but at incredibly low rates. Instead it's all buying hard assets' to protect against the eventual market and currency collapse. :banghead: :banghead: Fucking hell...

Except the returns on renting a house are rather low and risky. It is speculation that the value will increase and renting in the mean time. Prices can only go up! What could go wrong?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Hey Nate - You in?
Nope, you can't go.
Me - Why?
Me - FUCK!!!!!

Drive separately, come back Saturday night.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Except the returns on renting a house are rather low and risky. It is speculation that the value will increase and renting in the mean time. Prices can only go up! What could go wrong?
Long term rentals seem a sketchier proposition to me as a rentier than short term rentals. At least with the latter there's a company ostensibly on your side rather than a slow court system and expensive system of eviction.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
iirc @mykel can't do the longer solo drives.

current status: making homemade pizzas and drinking a porter

there are good things in tennessee (trails around knoxville, windrock, etc.) @stoney just isn't doing any of them.

peeping the weather to figure out riding tomorrow...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Look at it like a bond, acquired on leverage. $2k/m on a $500k house = 4.8%. A PE firm can borrow in the <1.5% range. So! They are likely paying roughly $0 for a 3%+ RoR. Sure they are carrying risk, but their RoR will still be higher than long-term bonds, and they have the potential for value increase - at least at inflation. So... 30yr(?) TIPS@~3% and no risk of default from the issuer. And even moreso, they can turn around and create a residential real estate REIT, which will be an open market security, that they will get paid as administrator.

And by buying up all/large percentages of available housing in a given area, they can also control availability of rentals > supply/demand > driving to higher rental prices > higher yields. *This is more "their out to get us" speculation, but rental prices in our area are also being driven up with property prices.

It's really brilliant. But still makes them assholes for the rest of us. And it's one more thing falling into the lap of Boomers (higher selling prices on their $30k homes) that makes life difficult for everyone younger.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Drive separately, come back Saturday night.
8 hrs one way.
Unfortunately, my head will not take that.
If I drove it, I would be too wiped out to ride.
Same with after. If I ride, would be too wiped out to drive.
A day of DH costs me about two to three days of severe lethargy and quite a bit stronger headache spikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
8 hrs one way.
Unfortunately, my head will not take that.
If I drove it, I would be too wiped out to ride.
Same with after. If I ride, would be too wiped out to drive.
A day of DH costs me about two to three days of severe lethargy and quite a bit stronger headache spikes.
Yeesh. Sorry man.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Look at it like a bond, acquired on leverage. $2k/m on a $500k house = 4.8%. A PE firm can borrow in the <1.5% range. So! They are likely paying roughly $0 for a 3%+ RoR. Sure they are carrying risk, but their RoR will still be higher than long-term bonds, and they have the potential for value increase - at least at inflation. So... 30yr(?) TIPS@~3% and no risk of default from the issuer. And even moreso, they can turn around and create a residential real estate REIT, which will be an open market security, that they will get paid as administrator.

And by buying up all/large percentages of available housing in a given area, they can also control availability of rentals > supply/demand > driving to higher rental prices > higher yields. *This is more "their out to get us" speculation, but rental prices in our area are also being driven up with property prices.

It's really brilliant. But still makes them assholes for the rest of us. And it's one more thing falling into the lap of Boomers (higher selling prices on their $30k homes) that makes life difficult for everyone younger.

Less property taxes, insurance, 10% property management fees, maintenance (birds, decks etc) and even in a good market one can't expect better than 98% occupancy. So you are probably looking at 3% return for just rent with real risk. The proposition makes sense when you assume rents/prices will increase. It would be disasterous in a downturn, and I assume these are setup to just allow foreclosure if things go red.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Long term rentals seem a sketchier proposition to me as a rentier than short term rentals. At least with the latter there's a company ostensibly on your side rather than a slow court system and expensive system of eviction.

Seattle/Washington has recently boosted eviction protections beyond COVID moriatoriums that it has become incredibly risky to rent. This is driving people to sell homes to get out of the rental market while the housing market is booming. I am not sure how the apartment market is doing but single family home rental prices seem to have gone up about 20% in the past year. Despite home prices going up, rent has been flat or decreasing over the past 4 years.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
OTOH, our ‘cheap’ long term rental in Victor actually pays off both mortgage payments every month, and we have only had two months out of 11 years that we had to pay ourselves while we were fixing things up. We bought it in ‘01, so the mortgage is peanuts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OTOH, our ‘cheap’ long term rental in Victor actually pays off both mortgage payments every month, and we have only had two months out of 11 years that we had to pay ourselves while we were fixing things up. We bought it in ‘01, so the mortgage is peanuts.

It works great when you can buy cheap and prices go up. Try that today. Not saying it can't work out but it is all largely based on speculation that things will continue to go up, and it always has historically but we are reaching a point when it will all become unsustainable in many areas.

I wouldn't be surprised to see companies moving to places like Detroit and attracting employees with the promise of an affordable home.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Yeah, plumbers are in the $100-$200 dollars an hour range. We got really lucky with the very, very few shekels we were able to put together in ‘01. My wife is a financial genius of sorts.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It works great when you can buy cheap and prices go up. Try that today. Not saying it can't work out but it is all largely based on speculation that things will continue to go up, and it always has historically but we are reaching a point when it will all become unsustainable in many areas.

I wouldn't be surprised to see companies moving to places like Detroit and attracting employees with the promise of an affordable home.
Given our struggles finding affording housing, that's had me pondering the same thing. Unless companies start embracing remote work en mass, it's going to become increasingly difficult to find and retain early career talent. That's gotta represent a huge risk for stability and long term dynamicism.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Given our struggles finding affording housing, that's had me pondering the same thing. Unless companies start embracing remote work en mass, it's going to become increasingly difficult to find and retain early career talent. That's gotta represent a huge risk for stability and long term dynamicism.
Yeah - but wait until you see next quarter's numbers!!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
And the youngest, we like to (sorta) joke, is the *most* responsible person in our family.
my older brother his wife and the kids went to a billy strings show for his birthday....

first thing the 11 year old says....sure are alot people getting high....