Quantcast

##( fRIDUMP gmt)##

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
looking for cheap parts all around. it'll be a hardtail beater bike that i'll use for the pumptrack and maybe some local goofing around and then also get used by the 15yo on family rides. cranks i'd prefer shimano. brakes, don't care.
ok. only the gucciest of shit in my spare parts box, I'm afraid.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Harping on about chain wax again. Went for a very muddy ride couple of days ago. Simply rinsed chain off, result is amazing, no fucking around. Seriously can’t believe I fucked around with oil based lubes for so long. Been using this for nearly a year now (time flies) and longevity of chain is also significantly better. Five stars.

View attachment 154666
I used a spray wax on the motorcycle chain(s) for years. 10/10, don't know why I've never thought to use it on a bicycle. The motorcycle stuff tended to be awful thick though, no problems with it gumming up the idler wheels and such?

Wood selection for my new bass continues. The builder mentioned a few concerns with my previous selection. I’m now thinking walnut and padauk based on this combo I saw.
View attachment 154678
Purty.......

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Wood selection for my new bass continues. The builder mentioned a few concerns with my previous selection. I’m now thinking walnut and padauk based on this combo I saw.
View attachment 154678
Walnut and padauk can make a lovely combo. I've been in love with this cutting board ever since I saw it.

20181111_123546.jpg

If colored and/or figured woods are your thing, take a look at purple heart too. Burls make for fantastic figure, as does ironwood.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Walnut and padauk can make a lovely combo. I've been in love with this cutting board ever since I saw it.

View attachment 154679

If colored and/or figured woods are your thing, take a look at purple heart too. Burls make for fantastic figure, as does ironwood.
that board is insane.

I wanted a purple heartwood section in this build but I’ve changed my mind. It stated getting to busy with multiple wood types. I wanted something simple. I had initially started with wenge and padauk but the more I look at it the less I like the pairing.

Here’s an idea that influenced me. Wenge, purple heartwood, padauk, yellow heartwood.

64D587DE-B06F-498E-94D3-0AB3FAE7F269.jpeg19309008-927D-4F6B-A219-0FA683D2BDE8.jpeg

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pretty dang cold this morning. Went on the land to check on my excavator operator. Everything is going smoothly so far. Had to bring down 4 more trees to make place to access septic field location. House will definitely be built on the Canadian shield. No more than 30 inches of soil at the deepest. Monday will be septic field installation.

Would any local primates be interested in a house building thread?
Oui

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
that board is insane.

I wanted a purple heartwood section in this build but I’ve changed my mind. It stated getting to busy with multiple wood types. I wanted something simple. I had initially started with wenge and padauk but the more I look at it the less I like the pairing.

Here’s an idea that influenced me. Wenge, purple heartwood, padauk, yellow heartwood.

View attachment 154682View attachment 154683
You blokes seem a little *too* much enamored with wood.

NTTAWWT.

:homer:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Would any local primates be interested in a house building thread?
Only if you post it in the PaWN forum.

(kidding... I kid...)
whatcha need?
I have cranks & brakes, just haven't got around to listing them.
Whatcha got?

I've had to take a dump for 2.5 hours now and have been stuck in meetings. :panic:
I have definitely dropped a deuce during a conference call or five since I started back to work last June. Mute + fancy Zoom custom background == I'm still at my desk WTF are you talking about?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Coworker said she woke up this morning to her husky having chewed his leg off. OFF. Exposed bone, every square inch of the floors covered in blood.

W.T.F.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
On a more positive note, new pedals, shoes, helmet and pads acquired this week. Now I shouldn't eat shit ever again :rolleyes:

Might break them all in on a long solo ride tomorrow to celebrate my vaginal extrication anniversary, since all my friends are lame-o's.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Friday is for fritters and today was berry. It was yum.

I get my pepper bacon from the WinCo deli, it's good.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ugh. barely survived a week of on-line learning with my 8 y.o. I'm not sure what he's getting out of it though. They were supposed to back for in-person next week. Found out yesterday they will be on-line for another 2 weeks x_x

My wife has been at her mom's this week with our oldest. He's a bit more independent, and also a bit more willing to do outdoor recreation shit. I'm hoping to swap kids over the weekend, because I don't know if I can handle another week of not doing anything.

We can't have both kids in the house and expect them to on-line learn, and have both of us working. Just not possible, our house is a) too small and b) open concept. We were thinking of keeping the divide and conquer approach one more week, and then taking turns taking days off after that.

I got my freshly rebuilt fat bike wheel back Wednesday. I can't get the tire to seat tubeless. I can't run it tubed either because I have a Stan's Dart in it, and it turns out those things leave a little arrowhead shaped stud on the inside of the tire. I think I'm going to have to add the soapy water on the bead trick to get them to fully seat. I've already tried inflating it with a tube first (but didn't want to go too high given the Dart) before hitting it with the compressor. I think my 3 gallon compressor might also not move enough volume. (yes, I've removed the valve core). grrr.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Toshi's wife is actually just a body pillow.
hahaha, this is funny, because I sleep with a body pillow. My wife calls it my girlfriend. One time, a few years back, we asked my son, who must have been 5 at the time, who my girlfriend is (technically, I'm not married to my wife, but I prefer calling her that than 'my partner'). He answered my pillow. We thought it was hilarious.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
hahaha, this is funny, because I sleep with a body pillow. My wife calls it my girlfriend. One time, a few years back, we asked my son, who must have been 5 at the time, who my girlfriend is (technically, I'm not married to my wife, but I prefer calling her that than 'my partner'). He answered my pillow. We thought it was hilarious.

You are not alone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ugh. barely survived a week of on-line learning with my 8 y.o. I'm not sure what he's getting out of it though. They were supposed to back for in-person next week. Found out yesterday they will be on-line for another 2 weeks x_x

My wife has been at her mom's this week with our oldest. He's a bit more independent, and also a bit more willing to do outdoor recreation shit. I'm hoping to swap kids over the weekend, because I don't know if I can handle another week of not doing anything.

We can't have both kids in the house and expect them to on-line learn, and have both of us working. Just not possible, our house is a) too small and b) open concept. We were thinking of keeping the divide and conquer approach one more week, and then taking turns taking days off after that.

I got my freshly rebuilt fat bike wheel back Wednesday. I can't get the tire to seat tubeless. I can't run it tubed either because I have a Stan's Dart in it, and it turns out those things leave a little arrowhead shaped stud on the inside of the tire. I think I'm going to have to add the soapy water on the bead trick to get them to fully seat. I've already tried inflating it with a tube first (but didn't want to go too high given the Dart) before hitting it with the compressor. I think my 3 gallon compressor might also not move enough volume. (yes, I've removed the valve core). grrr.
some perspective: my son has been online learning *the entire school year*

will add the disclaimer he only does half day kindergarten.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Yeah, I know we've fared better than others overall, but I guess my concern is mostly that he's not learning and he's already behind. Grade 2 is a pretty crucial year from what I understand because they're supposed to acquire the ability to read and count. In Grade 3 they're supposed to "read to learn" (instead of learn to read). He's really struggling in both those fields and really benefits from the attention of a properly trained and experienced pedagogue... I've chatted with a buddy who's daughter was in a similar predicament, and she's not a top student and overachiever, so I think I need to chill out a bit, but still... I think this could have been handled better...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

5th grader and 9th grader since March, yo. Fortunately wife already wfh'd and i have been able to as well, and both our jobs are pretty flexible. 5th grader is a bit harder to keep on task than the 9th grader. In a week or so they both go back 2 days/week. The shitty part about that beyond the Covid risk is that the other days they won't really have online instruction, just be given assignments to complete, which of course they'll just rush through and then bother us/try to be on screens the rest of the day.

Dutch wife (plural Dutch wives) A long body-length bolster (pillow) that can be held or wrapped around one's body while sleeping.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Put some duct tape over the dart then go again with a tube or have you used a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tyre which helps push the beads out toward the rim bed?