Quantcast

&&& Fridump the 13th gmt &&&

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Was going to do a ride this morning and as I am putting the bike in the car its starts raining then as my meetings starts the sun is out - damn it.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This morning when the alarm went off, it was one of those "Fuck this, you have got to be shitting me" wake ups. I dragged my sleepy carcass to the pool though for 2500 yards. I am looking forward to another new-place-to-me MTB rides tomorrow.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Fell asleep on the couch last night early, woke up with my financée at Fye Vay Ehm. She has a nursing shift today, and I had an optional meeting at 5:30am. We're doing interviews with dealers as part of an initiative to understand our users better so we can build a better portal for our dealer customers, and the first one is an East Coast person. That's what I do... I design software. Anycrap, here's a little story about that...

Yesterday we interviewed a dealer I can only describe as Florida Man: he's older, cranky, doesn't know much about computers or tech, disheveled hair, drinking a warm glass of milk and leaning back on his 70's pattern divan and falling asleep, that sort of thing. Part of these user interviews is finding out what sites the dealer uses to order parts and equipment (we're an HVAC company) and then walk us through how they look for things via a screenshare. So Florida Man is showing us a recent search he did on a competitor's website, and that the search he did gave him 100s of non-relevant products. While he's (rightfully) complaining about this, the interviewer asked him why he thought the website wasn't narrowing down the results, even though he used a pretty specific set of keywords. And I swear to @FSM homeboy up and says "I dunno. Maybe it's one of those Democrat websites where it tells you what it thinks you should want instead of just giving you what you actually want."

Wait. What?

Later in the interview he got dangerously close to uttering some racial slurs about Hispanic people. And as the interview was wrapping up, the interviewer was making small talk and Florida Man asks her where she's located. She tells him she's in Atlanta, GA and he says "Well your state better get their act together and elect those Republican senators up there, or the whole country is gonna fall apart!" I'm paraphrasing here, his language might have been a touch more colorful even.

Thanks, Florida Man.

:disgust1:

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
homeboy up and says "I dunno. Maybe it's one of those Democrat websites where it tells you what it thinks you should want instead of just giving you what you actually want."
Ignoring all that other shit, because that is horseshit, but there must be some truth to this.

The amount of data being gathered and analyzed by the big ones must be mind boggling. Whether its skimming your personal mail, monitoring search data, watching/tracking where you go......I'm all for technology but that shit is scary. And now a lot of the population have freakin' microphones in their homes which allow them to listen in on everything.

Its a machine and we're the mice powering it. :(

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Ignoring all that other shit, because that is horseshit, but there must be some truth to this.

The amount of data being gathered and analyzed by the big ones must be mind boggling. Whether its skimming your personal mail, monitoring search data, watching/tracking where you go......I'm all for technology but that shit is scary. And now a lot of the population have freakin' microphones in their homes which allow them to listen in on everything.

So... yes. You're totally right, the amount of data that we are willingly giving to the world is out of control. And what Big Data™ can (and does) do with it is downright fucking terrifying.

In Florida Man's case, the issue is likely less ominous: the website he plugged his three-word search into returned results based on a Boolean 'OR' of those three words. No algorithm, no relevancy, etc. Just if it had any of the three words in the product title or description, it was returned. But homeboy was mother fucking convinced the Deep State® did not want him to buy a replacement electronic heater for his sauna from Grainger.

:rofl:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Fell asleep on the couch last night early, woke up with my financée at Fye Vay Ehm. She has a nursing shift today, and I had an optional meeting at 5:30am. We're doing interviews with dealers as part of an initiative to understand our users better so we can build a better portal for our dealer customers, and the first one is an East Coast person. That's what I do... I design software. Anycrap, here's a little story about that...

Yesterday we interviewed a dealer I can only describe as Florida Man: he's older, cranky, doesn't know much about computers or tech, disheveled hair, drinking a warm glass of milk and leaning back on his 70's pattern divan and falling asleep, that sort of thing. Part of these user interviews is finding out what sites the dealer uses to order parts and equipment (we're an HVAC company) and then walk us through how they look for things via a screenshare. So Florida Man is showing us a recent search he did on a competitor's website, and that the search he did gave him 100s of non-relevant products. While he's (rightfully) complaining about this, the interviewer asked him why he thought the website wasn't narrowing down the results, even though he used a pretty specific set of keywords. And I swear to @FSM homeboy up and says "I dunno. Maybe it's one of those Democrat websites where it tells you what it thinks you should want instead of just giving you what you actually want."

Wait. What?

Later in the interview he got dangerously close to uttering some racial slurs about Hispanic people. And as the interview was wrapping up, the interviewer was making small talk and Florida Man asks her where she's located. She tells him she's in Atlanta, GA and he says "Well your state better get their act together and elect those Republican senators up there, or the whole country is gonna fall apart!" I'm paraphrasing here, his language might have been a touch more colorful even.

Thanks, Florida Man.

How / why did you find that guy for the interview? Is he a good sample of your customers? :panic:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
present. baked beans with eggs for breakfast again. managed to salvage my air fry after the stovetop incident, so enjoyed some air fried dry rub wings last night.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
How / why did you find that guy for the interview? Is he a good sample of your customers? :panic:
Great question, and one that we were asking yesterday. So... the sales team vetted all the interviewees for this round of user research. There was apparently a questionnaire and all sorts of stuff developed with our UX research person they used to find qualified folks. As for your second question... yes. Yes, he is. Minus the blatant tin-foil hatting and racism, the aging tech-challenged demographic is very much our customer. These are plumbers and HVAC installers, those kinda of people. Lots of folks that have been in the biz for 40 years, and it was passed on to them from their dad. It's shifting to a younger tech-savvy base as family businesses are handed down to sons and daughters, sometimes even a third generation. We had a kid in his early 20s yesterday who was HYPED UP... he's getting in to the family business started by his dad, and he's ALL IN on the tech. He's got a map tracking app that shows him where all his field service techs are in real time, with parts store locations pinned as well, so he can coordinate "parts runners" bring parts to his service guys at the jobsite so they don't have to waste time running to the store themselves. He's set up automated processes for a lot of their ordering and business operations. It was night and day from some of the other folks.

But there's still a lot of Florida Men out there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Wait. What?

Thanks, Florida Man.

florida man has dementia and is stuck in the cold war

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Wait. What?

Thanks, Florida Man.

It sounds like you should contract with InfoWars and OAN to sell advertising space on the websites of your customer base.

They know so much, yet precious little sometimes. Instagram suggested I follow Christiano Rinaldo, when I do not believe I have ever expressed even a modicum of interest in soccer since Instagram was founded.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It sounds like you should contract with InfoWars and OAN to sell advertising space on the websites of your customer base.

They know so much, yet precious little sometimes. Instagram suggested I follow Christiano Rinaldo, when I do not believe I have ever expressed even a modicum of interest in soccer since Instagram was founded.
They WANT you to follow him! :p

There have been people out there that think and have tried to prove that Instagram actually listens from the phone. Whether there is anything to that, who knows. But Instagram is owned by Facebook, so their wealth of knowledge of everything is more than you and I can fathom. It might not be you that hasn't mentioned soccer or anything related to the guy, but perhaps someone in your circle of people has.

I checked Instagram's permissions on my phone and it has access to Camera, Location, Microphone, Storage (denied access to contacts and telephone). So one could say that it could listen, collect data on where you go (soccer stadium maybe) etc etc. I'm going to put my tinhat on now and remove access to the mic on my phone, as I don't ever take a video with the app.

Or it could just be that you have followers or follow people who follow that guy or somewhere down the line and they just toss the name into your feed.

:ph34r::tinfoil:

They WANT you to follow him! :p

There have been people out there that think and have tried to prove that Instagram actually listens from the phone. Whether there is anything to that, who knows. But Instagram is owned by Facebook, so their wealth of knowledge of everything is more than you and I can fathom. It might not be you that hasn't mentioned soccer or anything related to the guy, but perhaps someone in your circle of people has.

I checked Instagram's permissions on my phone and it has access to Camera, Location, Microphone, Storage (denied access to contacts and telephone). So one could say that it could listen, collect data on where you go (soccer stadium maybe) etc etc. I'm going to put my tinhat on now and remove access to the mic on my phone, as I don't ever take a video with the app.

Or it could just be that you have followers or follow people who follow that guy or somewhere down the line and they just toss the name into your feed.

:ph34r::tinfoil:
I won't install any of these apps on my phone, and in general won't navigate to them in a browser. The thing I'd like to divorce myself from is Google.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

So I had bought a tailgate for the truck but it was white and my truck is grey. My neighbor offered to paint it since he has a booth at work. I told him I would do it if he would help. It's been on the side of the house for a month.

The wife found a bed for Lil Man on Craigslist and said we had to go get it. I said "let me grab the tailgate and let's go". But it was gone.

Then Dave sent me a couple pics and asked again for the paint code.

IMG_20201113_072114.jpg

IMG_20201113_072118.jpg

He is doing a lot more than just painting it grey. I dig my neighbor.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Tons of shit to do today that I probably should not have blown off yesterday to go for a ride. Haircut, dryer needs a new something that I must determine and replace as it is squealing again, chicken fence, regular fence, kid has eye doctor, blah, blah, blah.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
:wave:

Tons of shit to do today that I probably should not have blown off yesterday to go for a ride. Haircut, dryer needs a new something that I must determine and replace as it is squealing again, chicken fence, regular fence, kid has eye doctor, blah, blah, blah.
I haven't had a haircut since mid-February. :panic: I should probably do something about that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't have any social media aps on my phone or my laptop. They don't need access to my stuff and I am not lazy enough to need a Siri or google assistant listening in to my phone or home
Do you have an android phone? Who do you use for email?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I haven't had a haircut since mid-February. :panic: I should probably do something about that.
I have had 2 since my barber reopened. I have been tipping her $20 on top of the $20 I give her for the cut (it's $13 for a cut). I know she has been struggling after being closed 3 months.