Quantcast

&&& Fridump the 13th gmt &&&

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. Today I shall go to Costco, REI (powder skis finally mounted up!), and then "ride". And then, later tonight, Peloton.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
the website he plugged his three-word search into returned results based on a Boolean 'OR' of those three words. No algorithm, no relevancy, etc. Just if it had any of the three words in the product title or description, it was returned. But homeboy was mother fucking convinced the Deep State® did not want him to buy a replacement electronic heater for his sauna from Grainger.
Did you explain Boolean operators to him? If not, you should have done that. :homer:

<snip> the sales team vetted all the interviewees

I haven't had a haircut since mid-February. :panic: I should probably do something about that.
Mid-January for me. Things are currently... unruly.

I have social media, but I don't need it, because you guys are the only online friends I need. :wub:
Hate to tell you... but *this* is also SM. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Dammit, I forgot the cardinal rule "One shall always explain Boolean operators to Florida Man" again, didn't I?
So... make sure when you're in discussions with the UX developers, tell them that they need to enable fucking REGULAR EXPRESSIONS in *every* fucking search field.

EVERY GODDAM ONE.

We have an "enterprise" software product that doesn't do this and it makes me want to murder puppies every time I try to find a specific file name in a list of 8000 files... :rant:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So... make sure when you're in discussions with the UX developers, tell them that they need to enable fucking REGULAR EXPRESSIONS in *every* fucking search field.

EVERY GODDAM ONE.

We have an "enterprise" software product that doesn't do this and it makes me want to murder puppies every time I try to find a specific file name in a list of 8000 files... :rant:
  1. RegEx can go fuck itself.
  2. I don't think our search function needs to support anything that sophisticated, but maybe something more than just OR'ing all the words entered. Ours is built on top of/using AWS Elasticsearch so it should be pretty good?

EVERY GODDAM ONE.

Regular expressions are geek masturbation. They're actually slower, besides being unintelligible.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Haircuts. HAH. started Buzzing my head 25 years ago and then 12 years ago I said eff it and just started shaving the ol dome. Probably saved a couple of thousand dollars over the years that I spent on Bikes, fishing gear and kayaks

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Regex's are awesome.

But also a pain. One of my profs in a Linux class (class based entirely in/on Bash) had a bunch on the exam. Like write one that covers all possible IPv4 addresses or something. That exam was hell.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
headed in to work this morning to try and get some things done and put a positive end to a pretty rough week. walked in to an email from the HR uberwensch mandating that everybody attend the voluntary happy hours because those are also our town hall meetings... who the fuck has town halls at 4pm unless you're laying people off? Fuck off with that noise, unless you want to pay my nanny extra to stay on. FFS I'm pissed already because I can't attend these things, and now you're trying to make me feel worse?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

EVERY GODDAM ONE.
I take it you don't build user-facing software for a living?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
No - I'm a goddam USER of the software trying to find some goddam filenames. :mad:
REGEX as a user interface is very hardcore. That's far outside the abilities of the general audience.

What's your industry? Who is the audience of this software you're using?

GodDAMMIT! You can't just come in here and make a bullshit statement like that with no qualification. :mad:

Slower than WHAT? It sure as FUCK isn't slower than me having to sift through thousands of filenames to get the 65 that I want to select. :rant:
"String operations will always be faster than regular expression operations. Unless, of course, you write the string operations in an inefficient way.

Regular expressions have to be parsed, and code generated to perform the operation using string operations. At best, the regular expression operation can do what's optimal to do the string manipulations.

Regular expressions are not used because they can do anything faster than plain string operations, it's used because it can do very complicated operations with little code, with reasonably small overhead."

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
REGEX as a user interface is very hardcore. That's far outside the abilities of the general audience.

What's your industry? Who is the audience of this software you're using?
IT industry. IT administrators. You know... "tech" people. This is backup software, specifically. Really whiz-bang user interface that has MAJOR limitations in the actual operation of the crap. :disgust:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
"String operations will always be faster than regular expression operations. Unless, of course, you write the string operations in an inefficient way.

Regular expressions have to be parsed, and code generated to perform the operation using string operations. At best, the regular expression operation can do what's optimal to do the string manipulations.

Regular expressions are not used because they can do anything faster than plain string operations, it's used because it can do very complicated operations with little code, with reasonably small overhead."

Well... I'd be fucking reasonably satisfied if "string operations" worked in this UI. But those don't work either. :mad:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
IT industry. IT administrators. You know... "tech" people. This is backup software, specifically. Really whiz-bang user interface that has MAJOR limitations in the actual operation of the crap. :disgust:
Gotcha. Think this is a great opportunity to give feedback to the folks that make the software.... maybe lay out what you're trying to do (as well as stating your expectations) and ask them how to do that w/ the software.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its like a lot of the bike industry. A lot of the stuff looks nice but in practice and when put to use is utter garbage. :panic:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Gotcha. Think this is a great opportunity to give feedback to the folks that make the software.... maybe lay out what you're trying to do (as well as stating your expectations) and ask them how to do that w/ the software.
Heh. I did exactly this. They told me they were very sorry, but it didn't do that. And to submit a RFE. :D