Quantcast

###Fridump ###

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Slackers

Some motherfucker set off a fucking professional skyrocket at 10:15 last night. One of those that just goes Flash with a loud bang. Woke me up and scared the shit out of the dogs. I almost went out hunting humans last night and I would have if they had set off more than one.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I should not work more often on Thursdays.
Back to the grind for one last day this week, weather looks crap for riding tomorrow, t-storms...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
zomg the drama. I need to start putting my mental energy into what I'm moving TOWARD instead of what I'm running from...cause the shit at work just gets crazier.

Speaking of crazy, had a tech from our oil company come repair our boiler which kept getting stuck in lockout. He cleaned a part, then jumped the water tank circulator to test for function. Apparently he noped the fuck out, leaving the circulator jumped and causing the overheat dump valve to dump water all over the floor of my bike room/pain cave. Now my filthy disgusting carpets are filthy disgusting AND wet. Plus the boiler is still entering lockout....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Took the wife on a date last night. Played mini-golf (kicked her ass :dance:) and grabbed a tasty pepperoni pizza.

And now, work. Always seems like so much work to do outside of work that it feels I have 2 jobs.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Work then Wifey's company bbq this afternoon.

Just got the word from Hannah's school that her teacher thinks she's ready to move up to pre-K. But... She's 6 months too young for it. Cognitively she's developed, but maturity isn't there. Our school district is hard on the rule that kids have to be 5 to start kindergarten. Her birthday is in December, so when we do the math forward, she'll end up in pre-K for over 1.5 years. He school has one of the most advanced programs in the area, so it's not like we have a lot of options for getting her into something more advanced either. @TreeSaw got any ideas?

Wifey has also decided that were putting in a dry bar, so cabinetry is back on the work list.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Just got the word from Hannah's school that her teacher thinks she's ready to move up to pre-K. But... She's 6 months too young for it. Cognitively she's developed, but maturity isn't there. Our school district is hard on the rule that kids have to be 5 to start kindergarten. Her birthday is in December, so when we do the math forward, she'll end up in pre-K for over 1.5 years. He school has one of the most advanced programs in the area, so it's not like we have a lot of options for getting her into something more advanced either. @TreeSaw got any ideas?

Wifey has also decided that were putting in a dry bar, so cabinetry is back on the work list.
///Homeschool

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

As someone who was a borderline too young for my grade, I vote holding her back. There are a lot of advantages to being on the older side within a class.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
She will be already. Our concerns are that the curriculum isn't meant for a kid to be in it for 1.5 years.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
BreederMonkey.com

She will be already. Our concerns are that the curriculum isn't meant for a kid to be in it for 1.5 years.
eh, pre-K "curriculum" isn't really a thing, it's more about learning to play nice with others and follow the rules.

If she's a smart cookie, she'll be bored in school anyways.

We asked our oldest's pre-K teacher to give her some harder books / exercises and she 'noped' us with the rationale that the other kids would get jealous.

Bitter, I'm not bitter...

#ChildPsychUndergrad
#WorkedWithKidsUntilIGotTiredofBeingaPoor

+++++

I've got a whole 6 weeks and 6 days. I'm sure I'll get absolutely everything done before then. :no:
Nope, but your wife will ;)

#NestingIsReal

Nesting typically starts toward the end of the third trimester, around week 38 or 39 of pregnancy or a few weeks before your due date.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Work lunch today with my favorite coworker.
is this code for yourself?

Srsly - none of this shit matters. She'll be fine. Whatever you decide to do. :D
This to some degree... but I'm sure glad my elder two kids are going to Polaris next year. Constantly fighting to get them level-appropriate work was tiresome.

(Polaris is the DPS HGT magnet school so they'll be with peers.)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Srsly - none of this shit matters. She'll be fine. Whatever you decide to do. :D
I don't want to pay for college. Dammit, it matters!

but I'll try to get them both playing volleyball or rowing, because scholarships for tall girls.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't want to pay for college. Dammit, it matters!

but I'll try to get them both playing volleyball or rowing, because scholarships for tall girls.
you're assuming colleges & universities won't be eradicated in the climate wars. the climate denying MAGA army will take those out first

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
BreederMonkey.com

eh, pre-K "curriculum" isn't really a thing, it's more about learning to play nice with others and follow the rules.

If she's a smart cookie, she'll be bored in school anyways.

We asked our oldest's pre-K teacher to give her some harder books / exercises and she 'noped' us with the rationale that the other kids would get jealous.

Bitter, I'm not bitter...

#ChildPsychUndergrad
#WorkedWithKidsUntilIGotTiredofBeingaPoor

+++++
This is the program she'll be moving into: https://www.primroseschools.com/balanced-learning/pre-kindergarten/

She's been in the school since 6 weeks old, as we have jobs... And at 3.5 they have her doing letters, counting, early Spanish, etc. They straight up have curriculum.

Haley went through the same and has been in the gifted & talented program at school since almost day one. She's sitting over half a year ahead of the other kids her grade. There was brief talk about her jumping up a grade (school not us), but the maturity issue arose again, and the school psych agreed with us that it probably wasn't good since she's already young for her grade. She is doing her advanced curriculum with the grade ahead though.

All the other kids that went through Primrose with Haley are also GTE. Whether that's downstream from parents who were and they are predispositioned to be with parents who will get kids into those programs, or the program helps, I can't tell you. But within our little bubble, that group of kids are all on accelerated pace.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
you're assuming colleges & universities won't be eradicated in the climate wars. the climate denying MAGA army will take those out first
Have I mentioned yet this week that I hate the South/Republicans/Evangelica/s/(did I miss any?)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
This is the program she'll be moving into: https://www.primroseschools.com/balanced-learning/pre-kindergarten/

She's been in the school since 6 weeks old, as we have jobs... And at 3.5 they have her doing letters, counting, early Spanish, etc. They straight up have curriculum.

Haley went through the same and has been in the gifted & talented program at school since almost day one. She's sitting over half a year ahead of the other kids her grade. There was brief talk about her jumping up a grade (school not us), but the maturity issue arose again, and the school psych agreed with us that it probably wasn't good since she's already young for her grade. She is doing her advanced curriculum with the grade ahead though.

All the other kids that went through Primrose with Haley are also GTE. Whether that's downstream from parents who were and they are predispositioned to be with parents who will get kids into those programs, or the program helps, I can't tell you. But within our little bubble, that group of kids are all on accelerated pace.
Schools have psychologists now? I don't remember that being a thing when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
They straight up have curriculum.
My point wasn't that they're not teaching your darling daughter things, but that (from my literature review a decade+ back now) differences in educational attainment and college monies / presumed success in life are more "correlated" to motivation than raw intelligence.

A lot of super smart kids -- who have been told they're "gifted" their whole lives -- fold like a walmart bike at Red Bull Rampage when they encounter their first real dose of adversity / challenges.

Resilience is the new / old buzzword in the early childhood development arena.

I tell both my kids that they're smart but that's not enough, they need to work hard to be successful in life.

More specifically while they mean the world to us, the rest of the world could give two shits about our offspring.

My larger point is you two seem to be doing a good job of instilling grrrl power in your brood, and parental involvement >>>>> scholastic offerings at their current ages.

Too Covid backsliding is going to leave a residual hangover for this generation... but YMMV.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My point wasn't that they're not teaching your darling daughter things, but that (from my literature review a decade+ back now) differences in educational attainment and college monies / presumed success in life are more "correlated" to motivation than raw intelligence.

A lot of super smart kids -- who have been told they're "gifted" their whole lives -- fold like a walmart bike at Red Bull Rampage when they encounter their first real dose of adversity / challenges.

Resilience is the new / old buzzword in the early childhood development arena.

I tell both my kids that they're smart but that's not enough, they need to work hard to be successful in life.

More specifically while they mean the world to us, the rest of the world could give two shits about our offspring.

My larger point is you two seem to be doing a good job of instilling grrrl power in your brood, and parental involvement >>>>> scholastic offerings at their current ages.

Too Covid backsliding is going to leave a residual hangover for this generation... but YMMV.
i was bored in school too, i turned out fine.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You little-kid :monkey:s are amusing me. NONE OF THAT SHIT MATTERS. If your kids are smart, they'll do well and probably get some scholarship action, esp since they're grrlz. Shit, my whitebread semi-smart older boys both got significant "tuition reduction" from MSU.

Guess what? It's still motherfuckin' EXPENSIVE.

Ultimately, I'd tell you all to investigate this method of parenting. :homer:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Schools have psychologists now? I don't remember that being a thing when I was a kid.
Yep. They always have. My sister got to spend lots of time with ours middle and high school. Try to catch kids with emotional development issues early. Apparently catch a lot of abuse too. Haley's school the psych does in-class visits to talk with everyone and then 1-1 with almost everyone.