Quantcast

###Fridump ###

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yep. They always have. My sister got to spend lots of time with ours middle and high school. Try to catch kids with emotional development issues early. Apparently catch a lot of abuse too. Haley's school the psych does in-class visits to talk with everyone and then 1-1 with almost everyone.
Rich pre-school programs, rich schools, raising little elites from their early age on - I though hardcore progressives were preaching leveling the ground and equal opportunities for all? :confused:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yep. They always have. My sister got to spend lots of time with ours middle and high school. Try to catch kids with emotional development issues early. Apparently catch a lot of abuse too. Haley's school the psych does in-class visits to talk with everyone and then 1-1 with almost everyone.
Understandable. I can only imagine how many kids of yesteryear suffered from issues that went undiagnosed and changed their trajectory in life.

school shootings weren't a thing when you were a kid either
Columbine happened when I was in 8th grade. But I get your point. Only time I remember a psychologist coming in was when a classmate died in an accident.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Rich pre-school programs, rich schools, raising little elites from their early age on - I though hardcore progressives were preaching leveling the ground and equal opportunities for all? :confused:
If public schools had par preschool, she would be in it. Unfortunately the southern part of my county is CoSprings North and doesn't believe in taxes, so there is no money. So, we pay out of pocket to the tune of $333/week for Hannah to go there.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
This is the program she'll be moving into: https://www.primroseschools.com/balanced-learning/pre-kindergarten/

She's been in the school since 6 weeks old, as we have jobs... And at 3.5 they have her doing letters, counting, early Spanish, etc. They straight up have curriculum.

Haley went through the same and has been in the gifted & talented program at school since almost day one. She's sitting over half a year ahead of the other kids her grade. There was brief talk about her jumping up a grade (school not us), but the maturity issue arose again, and the school psych agreed with us that it probably wasn't good since she's already young for her grade. She is doing her advanced curriculum with the grade ahead though.

All the other kids that went through Primrose with Haley are also GTE. Whether that's downstream from parents who were and they are predispositioned to be with parents who will get kids into those programs, or the program helps, I can't tell you. But within our little bubble, that group of kids are all on accelerated pace.
Ok some thoughts after checking out the program a little. My guess is, she will be fine doing it for 1.5 years. My oldest was much the same with being in a pre-K program for longer than she needed. For us, it was more about her learning to interact with other students (older and younger the second time). She has always been a high honors student and school has come relatively easy for her. The program your in is quite well organized so my immediate thought is that the school program can be augmented to offer her more of a challenge in an effort to stave off boredom. I would however highly recommend looking for some other activities for her outside of the classroom as well. Music, athletics, learning Spanish, science projects and LOTS of reading. Both of my girls read well above grade level (at least 2 grades) and have an easier time in all subject areas as a result. Literacy is the #1 indicator of achievement as so much of what we do in math, science etc. is dependent on a child's ability to read, comprehend and apply what they have read. Do remember, she's a kid and needs plenty of time to be a kid too so lots of trips to the park and splashing in puddles are necessary too!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok some thoughts after checking out the program a little. My guess is, she will be fine doing it for 1.5 years. My oldest was much the same with being in a pre-K program for longer than she needed. For us, it was more about her learning to interact with other students (older and younger the second time). She has always been a high honors student and school has come relatively easy for her. The program your in is quite well organized so my immediate thought is that the school program can be augmented to offer her more of a challenge in an effort to stave off boredom. I would however highly recommend looking for some other activities for her outside of the classroom as well. Music, athletics, learning Spanish, science projects and LOTS of reading. Both of my girls read well above grade level (at least 2 grades) and have an easier time in all subject areas as a result. Literacy is the #1 indicator of achievement as so much of what we do in math, science etc. is dependent on a child's ability to read, comprehend and apply what they have read. Do remember, she's a kid and needs plenty of time to be a kid too so lots of trips to the park and splashing in puddles are necessary too!
Thank you!

Absolutely with kid stuff. I just want to make sure that while she's there - because it's daycare too - she's not in a veg out state. We give them both pretty much free reign for kid stupidity at home, so it's not like we're going tiger mom over here. Just want to make sure that she's not stagnant when she's at a huge learning point in her life.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I did not get selected in the NHL draft. I think I understand why. Fuckers. I was really looking forward to finally winning the Stanley Cup. Tryouts for the Eagles are next week. I am going to ramp up my Chopped Cheese sandwich consumption starting today.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
they can be a royal pain, but teaching them to ride bikes, and hiking in maine foraging for blueberries with them is pretty awesome.
older brother taught a 12 year old kid to ride a bike on my old spooky pitboss at his kids scout meeting....brother posted a video and the kids dad was there in 10 minutes...he had been trying for awhile...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Columbine happened when I was in 8th grade. But I get your point. Only time I remember a psychologist coming in was when a classmate died in an accident.
Psychologists are for fucking pussies.

\product of cyclical mental and emotional handling deficiency

PS - willowdale 9am tomorrow

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thank you!

Absolutely with kid stuff. I just want to make sure that while she's there - because it's daycare too - she's not in a veg out state. We give them both pretty much free reign for kid stupidity at home, so it's not like we're going tiger mom over here. Just want to make sure that she's not stagnant when she's at a huge learning point in her life.
My 6 year old is reading the hobbit. Or at least trying to. Just give her books.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Move to a country where education is free. But be prepared to pay the income taxes that give the government the financial possibility to do this. :D
It’s actually not a lot more. If you just dumped your ridiculous and useless loser military it would be better than free.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It’s actually not a lot more. If you just dumped your ridiculous and useless loser military it would be better than free.
But....but...wo would protect the free world from the Russians and Chinese then? ;)