Quantcast

((^)) Fridumping ((^))

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:dead:

Was up a little before 3 as the little dog shit all over everything. Didn't get back to sleep after that, which is good since she then launched round 2 of the dook assault at 545 am. Tired.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
today might be a fuck-you friday

wife and son have COVID. Somehow my daughter and I have missed it, but my wife is wandering around the house coughing without covering her mouth and somehow getting as close to me as possible. At least she's wearing a mask -.-

promotions came out at work and I'm still getting that glass ceiling feeling as all of my colleagues have the three magic letters (pee ache and dee) and I don't. I'm paid well and have good work life balance, but we're conditioned to want to move up that ladder and I can't help but see everyone else go.

Popped a migraine last night due to the unneccesary stress I'm putting myself through thanks to fretting over stupid promotions, a sick family for the 18th time, and the death of my cycling aspirations for the year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
today might be a fuck-you friday

wife and son have COVID. Somehow my daughter and I have missed it, but my wife is wandering around the house coughing without covering her mouth and somehow getting as close to me as possible. At least she's wearing a mask -.-

promotions came out at work and I'm still getting that glass ceiling feeling as all of my colleagues have the three magic letters (pee ache and dee) and I don't. I'm paid well and have good work life balance, but we're conditioned to want to move up that ladder and I can't help but see everyone else go.

Popped a migraine last night due to the unneccesary stress I'm putting myself through thanks to fretting over stupid promotions, a sick family for the 18th time, and the death of my cycling aspirations for the year.
Sounds more like a fuck everything Friday

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
sorry @Sandwich - y'all have had crappy sickness luck recently. hang in there. and re: work, if you're happy with compensation and cann have a good work/life balance, that's all that matters. i was up for department head a few years ago and didn't get it. at first i was super bummed and butthurt but i've come to realize that i'm much happier in my current role. plus the rest of the staff all hate the person that got hired, which amuses me.

anyhoo, rainy day here. might have to blunch. not much on tap other than a department meeting this afternoon and then hitting the gym with the 13yo.

happy friday, yo.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What's up there, fellow turbo monkeys? I got up for my workouts at five ay hem every day this week. That never happens. This morning was a 2500 yard swim that went well.

I finally have my pistol permit interview with the po-po this afternoon. It only took three weeks for them to call me. So, it's an interview, fingerprinting, and then a full background check. It'll take 4-6 weeks for that process to complete. This ain't no red state!

Sorry about the work frustrations. I understand where you're coming from, but there is no rule that says you have to climb as high as possible on the company ladder. It's ok to be comfortable, happy, and content. If you've got that drive though, go for it. I mean, somebody's got to be a leader.

What's up there, fellow turbo monkeys? I got up for my workouts at five ay hem every day this week. That never happens. This morning was a 2500 yard swim that went well.

I finally have my pistol permit interview with the po-po this afternoon. It only took three weeks for them to call me. So, it's an interview, fingerprinting, and then a full background check. It'll take 4-6 weeks for that process to complete. This ain't no red state!

Sorry about the work frustrations. I understand where you're coming from, but there is no rule that says you have to climb as high as possible on the company ladder. It's ok to be comfortable, happy, and content. If you've got that drive though, go for it. I mean, somebody's got to be a leader.
What sort of pistol are you considering, and why?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:wave:
Snowing again. So far we’ve had more snow in March than February.
March is the snowiest month in Denver, historically:

Mar 8.8"
Feb 7.6"
Nov 7.3"
Dec 6.6"
April 6.2"
Oct 3.9"
May 1.4"
Sep 0.8"
/me e-biked to/from rehearsal downtown last night, and was pleased with the experience. I think I'll do this for my rehearsals for the rest of the concert season (which goes through May). Overall I have a bit of the "burning too much from both ends" feeling, though, and my HRV metrics reflect this, lower than normal.

Up to the mountains just for tonight, and @stoney + kids shall join, I think. Back right after Devo tomorrow as I have a concert to perform in--thus the rehearsal last night and the too-busy feeling.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm paid well and have good work life balance, but we're conditioned to want to move up that ladder and I can't help but see everyone else go.
re: work, if you're happy with compensation and cann have a good work/life balance, that's all that matters.
Ditto: I'm sorry that it's bugging you, but ultimately work-life balance (if you make enough money to make ends meet + save for retirement like a good boy) is the entire game. And if you have that then perhaps redirecting more mental energy to non-work things would help?

have you considered buying an obscure old tri bike and trying to source bespoke, out of stock parts for it, for instance?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
March is the snowiest month in Denver, historically:

/me e-biked to/from rehearsal downtown last night, and was pleased with the experience. I think I'll do this for my rehearsals for the rest of the concert season (which goes through May). Overall I have a bit of the "burning too much from both ends" feeling, though, and my HRV metrics reflect this, lower than normal.

Up to the mountains just for tonight, and @stoney + kids shall join, I think. Back right after Devo tomorrow as I have a concert to perform in--thus the rehearsal last night and the too-busy feeling.
Indeed with Hannah. Don't think I'm going to ski though. Lots of work to be done before week off for vacation.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ditto: I'm sorry that it's bugging you, but ultimately work-life balance (if you make enough money to make ends meet + save for retirement like a good boy) is the entire game. And if you have that then perhaps redirecting more mental energy to non-work things would help?

have you considered buying an obscure old tri bike and trying to source bespoke, out of stock parts for it, for instance?
how about technical camera's

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hope the covid doesn't cause your son to have a flare up.

on the work stuff, there's something to be said for not constantly moving up. my org used to be the kind that would promote largely on tenure rather than merit, and as a result one of the functional areas got EXTREMELY top heavy. upper upper mgmt finally realized how much it was costing them and they came down and cleaned house.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
But then there is espresso
that there is... that there is. I finally managed to dial this beauty little bag in today, and it's glorious. sweet and smoky with no bitterness or sourness. it's the simple things amirite?!
if you're happy with compensation and cann have a good work/life balance, that's all that matters. i was up for department head a few years ago and didn't get it. at first i was super bummed and butthurt but i've come to realize that i'm much happier in my current role. plus the rest of the staff all hate the person that got hired, which amuses me.
can confirm. a couple of my over-achieving corporate ladder-climbing buddies have realized the damage the rat race was doing to their health. they've stepped down from their positions of power and influence and are much happier and healthy. I feel it's much more pleasant to spend time with them now. I hope you can find the right balance @Sandwich .

March break starts at 16:00 hours today. I hope I can survive having both boys together 24/7 for a week. wish me luck.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Indeed with Hannah. Don't think I'm going to ski though. Lots of work to be done before week off for vacation.
Not even a few runs? This is our token chance to ski together this season :D

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
…but we're conditioned to want to move up that ladder…
Frankly, in making this observation you’re ahead in the game. Uncondition yourself by focusing on yourself. Work is just a means; not an end.

FTS at 0.0 here, bc day-job phone and laptop are turned off until Tuesday.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Screw moving up the ladder. Find an income level you want to live at, get there, then do whatever you can to earn that amount doing the least work possible. I still catch myself wishing I had an actual degree in engineering and thus could make more, or work somewhere bigger and make more money, but have slowly become better at ignoring those feelings.

Unless of course you can figure out a way to jump all the way to the top of the ladder and get one of those fancy jobs that pays you $275k to do largely nothing but blabber about synergy, and teamwork while being unable to even operate Excel so they give you an assistant to make all your spreadsheets. If you have a chance to be that guy, definitely be that guy.

Grandparents day at daycare, every other kid in class has at least 1, if not multiple grandparents coming, neither set of grandparents had any interest in attending, so I'm just keeping the small human home so he doesn't feel left out. Pretty sure we need to go get doughnuts and maybe hit up Petsmart to look at fish and buy the dogs some treats.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
on the work stuff, there's something to be said for not constantly moving up. my org used to be the kind that would promote largely on tenure rather than merit, and as a result one of the functional areas got EXTREMELY top heavy. upper upper mgmt finally realized how much it was costing them and they came down and cleaned house.
Make as much money as possible by doing the least amount of work possible has been my motto since getting laid off from my first job out of school.

Of course there are times I want to say FTS and impulsively apply for jobs, but I know deep down I'm not going anywhere, at least under my correct situation. I get paid pretty well, have lots of additional monetary and non-monetary perks with the job, and most importantly, my boss doesn't give a FUCK what I do, as long as the work keeps getting done. Sure there's been plenty of weeks I've worked 60-70hrs, but there's been far more weeks I've worked <20hrs too. It all balances out.

I've seen plenty of younger folks with MS/PhDs climb the ladder and surpass me, and I've simultaneously see them stress the fuck out and burn out. There's a reason you see a lot of guys in their 50s still doing the hands-on, engineery shit. Can't put a price on doing what's fun and not being miserable, even if it means never getting rich.

Hope you find a path and mental place that works for you broseph.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Not even a few runs? This is our token chance to ski together this season :D
You guys aren't even going to be able to find parking on Saturday. ;)

Screw moving up the ladder. Find an income level you want to live at, get there, then do whatever you can to earn that amount doing the least work possible.
Make as much money as possible by doing the least amount of work possible has been my motto since getting laid off from my first job out of school.
These guys get it.

dumping you say?

View attachment 190700

@SkaredShtles: that's snow not rain
Yep - I've been keeping an eye on things and it appears the snow line has remained... positive? TBH, having no realistic way to understand what you guys are facing - is snow preferable to rain at this point? My gut says, "Yes" - but like I said, I have no frame of reference.

Either way, ++vibes (useless, I know) sent your way for the next week or so? Yeesh. You guys could use some relief.

There's some companion-eatin' snow totals up on those passes, for sure.
Just great... now I'm hungry for long-pig. :brows:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Screw moving up the ladder. Find an income level you want to live at, get there, then do whatever you can to earn that amount doing the least work possible.
You are wise beyond your years.
dumping you say?

View attachment 190700

@SkaredShtles: that's snow not rain

Mammoth and the surrounding counties declared a state of emergency 3 days ago. This is gettin nuts. I mean yes it was already nuts but it's about to get really nuts.
Jaysus......

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yep - I've been keeping an eye on things and it appears the snow line has remained... positive? TBH, having no realistic way to understand what you guys are facing - is snow preferable to rain at this point? My gut says, "Yes" - but like I said, I have no frame of reference.
A little bit of rain isn't a bad thing right now. No one has anywhere left to throw snow, myself included so some settling would be good. All the roads closed last night because they're flooding with no runoff avenues from the snow walls.

Supposed to turn to snow this afternoon. What would be genuinely beneficial is a week of sun.

As bad as it is here, it's worse in mammoth. I've been periodically checking in with a few friends and it's real bad. People are just leaving town.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Screw moving up the ladder. Find an income level you want to live at, get there, then do whatever you can to earn that amount doing the least work possible. I still catch myself wishing I had an actual degree in engineering and thus could make more, or work somewhere bigger and make more money, but have slowly become better at ignoring those feelings.

Unless of course you can figure out a way to jump all the way to the top of the ladder and get one of those fancy jobs that pays you $275k to do largely nothing but blabber about synergy, and teamwork while being unable to even operate Excel so they give you an assistant to make all your spreadsheets. If you have a chance to be that guy, definitely be that guy.

Grandparents day at daycare, every other kid in class has at least 1, if not multiple grandparents coming, neither set of grandparents had any interest in attending, so I'm just keeping the small human home so he doesn't feel left out. Pretty sure we need to go get doughnuts and maybe hit up Petsmart to look at fish and buy the dogs some treats.

Of course there are times I want to say FTS and impulsively apply for jobs, but I know deep down I'm not going anywhere, at least under my correct situation. I get paid pretty well, have lots of additional monetary and non-monetary perks with the job, and most importantly, my boss doesn't give a FUCK what I do, as long as the work keeps getting done. Sure there's been plenty of weeks I've worked 60-70hrs, but there's been far more weeks I've worked <20hrs too. It all balances out.

I've seen plenty of younger folks with MS/PhDs climb the ladder and surpass me, and I've simultaneously see them stress the fuck out and burn out. There's a reason you see a lot of guys in their 50s still doing the hands-on, engineery shit. Can't put a price on doing what's fun and not being miserable, even if it means never getting rich.

Hope you find a path and mental place that works for you broseph.
Dudes I know. I don't do a lot of work. I accomplish what I need to, try and go above and beyond where I can, but work largely stays at work and home and family take precedence. My stress level is generally low and if I need to duck out to visit the hospital for the 90000000000000th time then I can without repurcussions (so far). I have fun at work and I think people like me. I just can't turn it off, even if I feel OK.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
@woo I am sorry to see so much chaos your way. We're out here wishing for any semblance of a season. Hope things don't get (even) worse for you