Quantcast

((^)) Fridumping ((^))

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Looks like we may get all our winter in the next few weeks in the form of a couple of noreasters.

From about 6 mins in:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Make as much money as possible by doing the least amount of work possible has been my motto since getting laid off from my first job out of school.

Of course there are times I want to say FTS and impulsively apply for jobs, but I know deep down I'm not going anywhere, at least under my correct situation. I get paid pretty well, have lots of additional monetary and non-monetary perks with the job, and most importantly, my boss doesn't give a FUCK what I do, as long as the work keeps getting done. Sure there's been plenty of weeks I've worked 60-70hrs, but there's been far more weeks I've worked <20hrs too. It all balances out.

I've seen plenty of younger folks with MS/PhDs climb the ladder and surpass me, and I've simultaneously see them stress the fuck out and burn out. There's a reason you see a lot of guys in their 50s still doing the hands-on, engineery shit. Can't put a price on doing what's fun and not being miserable, even if it means never getting rich.

Hope you find a path and mental place that works for you broseph.
my perspective on these things definitely shifted a lot after the car accident.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It’s full on Spring here in NC. Bradford Pears have already bloomed and the Cherry tree has little pink buds. Going to be green everywhere in a few moar days.

And not one damn snowflake this winter. I don’t want @kidwoo’s problem but a little of the white stuff would have been nice. Only shoveling I’ll be doing is cleaning up a few left over leaves.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You guys aren't even going to be able to find parking on Saturday. ;)
I do the paid garage. Because little kids and lessons (although C Lot would be technically closer the whole point of having a house is to not be up super early :D). If I am out of the house by 7:15 I'll be just fine, spot on level 1.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Looks like we may get all our winter in the next few weeks in the form of a couple of noreasters.

From about 6 mins in:
i'd love some snow, especially significant accumulation, but i'll believe it when i see it. also snow this time of year tends to be heavy, and with our trees already budding out that's a recipe for power outages.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I do the paid garage. Because little kids and lessons (although C Lot would be technically closer the whole point of having a house is to not be up super early :D). If I am out of the house by 7:15 I'll be just fine, spot on level 1.
You know it’s going to become progressively more difficult to locate an acceptably high enough mound of snow to park upon. Perhaps you should pack a snow shovel in case you need to build the perfect parking spot, DR.

:busted:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This one doesn’t fruit unfortunately. Purty though.

If I thru hike the AT this year then maybe I’ll do the PCT next year. I’m assuming you will still have some vintage ‘23 snow still hanging around yes ?
It happened in 2017 and 2019

The following years snowed on the previous seasons

At this rate the remaining CA glaciers may start growing again :rofl:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
dumping you say?

View attachment 190700

@SkaredShtles: that's snow not rain
If those were rain totals though, good god, that would be ark building weather.

100”+ of snow is some preposterous snow from one storm, but totally believable on this one. Been watching the Kern, I believe it’s flowing something like 100x more volume today then it was just yesterday, I’m no marine biologist, but that seems like a lot of water.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This one doesn’t fruit unfortunately. Purty though.

If I thru hike the AT this year then maybe I’ll do the PCT next year. I’m assuming you will still have some vintage ‘23 snow still hanging around yes ?
Have you considered the Colorado Trail? It's not such a huge commitment as the PCT or CDT, and the views are pretty nice most of the way. Oh - and it requires no permits (yet). :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You know it’s going to become progressively more difficult to locate an acceptably high enough mound of snow to park upon. Perhaps you should pack a snow shovel in case you need to build the perfect parking spot, DR.

:busted:
The snow piles at kid 3's preschool are becoming quite sad. Except for one, which people like to park next to at a 90 degree angle, to my mild annoyance (as it therefore thwarts my summit attempts)

At Winter Park, though, this garage is covered on the bottom two levels. If there's snow other than that tracked in by cars in there then something big has gone wrong

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Pfft, round here they need to be ~1500 I think and can still run dry at the end of a heavy day of usage.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Have you considered the Colorado Trail? It's not such a huge commitment as the PCT or CDT, and the views are pretty nice most of the way. Oh - and it requires no permits (yet). :D
Yes, I have considered the CT. It looks freaking amazing. I want the commitment of long distance thru hikes as it gets me away for five plus months. Five weeks would be great too, but I need moar, much, much moar. Problem is just money and my lack of it. Hopefully there will be some happy couples looking to get hitched this Spring or one or two anniversary spendy rings for sticky sweet older rich customers.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Holy shit. . . What kind of gpm can you get? Round here 100 is deep.
I dunno about your neck of the woods but around here its $100/foot for drilling wells. The water tables are highly variable also. Some people can get away with 100ft but many have to go 350ft and much deeper - below 1000ft. This is all within a 25 mile radius too.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Happy Fryday folks! Just traded 2 dozen eggs for a bag of fresh roasted decaf beans. Score for my lady friend who prefers decaf always.

It snowed another INCH here last night. Whens this shit going to stop.

Also, sometimes I wonder how many legos end up in my septic tank.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Happy Fryday folks! Just traded 2 dozen eggs for a bag of fresh roasted decaf beans. Score for my lady friend who prefers decaf always.

It snowed another INCH here last night. Whens this shit going to stop.

Also, sometimes I wonder how many legos end up in my septic tank.
I would imagine shitting out a Lego would be worse than stepping on one. So you should know how many are down there.

my kids plugged the line just after the toilet with a nail polish bottle. Then the other toilet didn’t drain, once i removed it I found a tooth brush jammed in the toilet trap. Dang kids.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Actually that's a fairly good point. As someone who lives by part of an is always being subject to the dumb management of the PCT, that whole scene has gotten pretty ridiculous. WAY too many people shitting all over the place every year. Gettin pretty crowded. There are some other options on the west coast that you can put together that uses parts of the PCT but then detours off of it enough that you might be able to get away from the hoards.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Actually that's a fairly good point. As someone who lives by part of an is always being subject to the dumb management of the PCT, that whole scene has gotten pretty ridiculous. WAY too many people shitting all over the place every year. Gettin pretty crowded. There are some other options on the west coast that you can put together that uses parts of the PCT but then detours off of it enough that you might be able to get away from the hoards.
Yeah - I'd recommend if someone *does* do a thru-hike of the CT, they strongly consider not hiking on the weekends. Hit town and soak in a hot springs/hot tub for a couple days. :D