Quantcast

{{*}} Fried Eh{{*}}

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good morning and Happy Friday and whatknots, lol. I ran 6.5 miles before work. A slight dip in the humidity this morning but still not great out there.

I watched Godzilla Minus One yesterday. Good stuff. A bit of a slow burn for 90 minutes while the story was building, then a great final act.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:wave:

At work in the city again. But should be able to leave early today, unlike the other day.

Also took Monday and Tuesday off work, so I don't really care.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Gonna be a hot one. 66 freedums outside currently which means we've not managed to cool the house down into the low 60's overnight before we close all the windows to see out the day - no AC.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
supposed to be some rain / storms today. we need it. planning on taking a half day, got a meeting this morning I can't miss. but then I need to clean my workshop. It's borderline non-useable.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Pretty sure I’ve had Covid. Maybe picked it up on the plane. Still coughing but tons of energy.

Old friend let us borrow one of her apartments. I went to her house and helped prune some Japanese Acers / maples. I just like gardening and she was happy with the result.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Pretty sure I’ve had Covid. Maybe picked it up on the plane. Still coughing but tons of energy.

Old friend let us borrow one of her apartments. I went to her house and helped prune some Japanese Acers / maples. I just like gardening and she was happy with the result.
You know in Japan, they just call them maples.

Just kidding, they call them イロハモミジ

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We just got a quote for A/C at R's place. We're doing it. It ain't going to get cooler for the rest of our lives.
Who the heck did you manage to get a quote from?? I've been trying for two weeks to get a quote for a mini split install.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Germtube home today.

Really hope to get in a ride tomorrow. It looks like they are getting ready to log part of our local trails, which is a bummer, but that’s life out here. shrug

gonefirefightin

free wieners
whaddya know

I am pretty sure I will wrap up pops boat today, I have a couple of little things to tidy up in the wiring department, one spreader light to install, and a seat base to mount, It's time to fire up the pulse wire feed and fill some holes and strengthen some seams.

what turned into a couple of hours to fab up some downrigger mounts turned into a whole rewire job. I will need to order some more wire and terminals soon

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:wave:

just got back from dropping the kid off by bike at camp. 20 minute bike ride each way. it is HUMID out...
1720791579024.png

I am soaked... good thing I'm wfh and can take a shower...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hi ho hi ho
22 miles this morning in swamp-fuck bullshit weather. I was sweating before I crawled out of the basement. Felt fast but power was low for the day so I don't know what that's about.

The MAN is putting the top coat on the rail trail in town. It's probably going to be done by september- I think it's gonna be intersection finishing and maybe painting lines, then we're done.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We just got a quote for A/C at R's place. We're doing it. It ain't going to get cooler for the rest of our lives.
We’re thinking swamp cooler up here in the high desert. Probably oughtta get some bids for that.
Who the heck did you manage to get a quote from?? I've been trying for two weeks to get a quote for a mini split install.
y'all should get cold climate mini split heat pumps installed. will future proof you a bit in case NG gets expensive or an actual carbon tax with teeth ever gets put in. and they do AC, of course. :)

/me is wfh this morning. then maybe jet over to downtown to get some soba once my shift ends. that sounds good, yes. but for now chilling the house down to 68F before the mid- and high-peak electricity pricing kicks in this afternoon

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
y'all should get cold climate mini split heat pumps installed. will future proof you a bit in case NG gets expensive or an actual carbon tax with teeth ever gets put in. and they do AC, of course. :)
I'm trying to get a quote for a ductless mini-split, purely for cooling!!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm trying to get a quote for a ductless mini-split, purely for cooling!!
even if you use it purely for cooling having the heat pump bit unlocks the credits a la my prior post :) . no sense in an AC only unit these days imo

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
IME around here, this is why it was difficult to find someone to quote us. I have a mini split in the Bong Shed™ and it works really well, but finding someone in a small mountain town that deals with them isn't super easy.

@Toshi—noted WRT mini-split(s) for the house. I'll talk to Teh Spousal Unit™ but she's got her brain set on swamp cooler for some number of reasons. I'd be into using it for heating and cooling TBH, our furnace is in a closet in our bedroom and it's a noisy fucker. We could (probably) easily cool/heat our entire house with a couple of mini splits, I would guess. We ain't even 1100 sq. ft. up in here! Though the layout is funky so I'm not sure how we'd get the right airflow to efficiently cool/heat each room or area.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@6thElement did you try Helio? looking at my old spreadsheet of heat pump quotes not executed they had a decent price and quoted the proper Mitsubishi equipment for our climate.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
even if you use it purely for cooling having the heat pump bit unlocks the credits a la my prior post :) . no sense in an AC only unit these days imo
Unless you have really cheap gas and expensive electricity it will be cheaper to operate in heat mode.

Gas is at best 50% efficient where a heat pump can be 200-400% efficient. Moving heat is easier than making heat.

There are also proper window mounted split unit heat pumps available now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

When I got to the office on Wednesday, I was later than usual, but still before 8. All the parking spots were full on the shade side of the building. I was pissed. When I came in the morning, there was one car and they had posted signs

PXL_20240712_141943293.jpg

Fuckers. The road along the side of the building is closed and has been torn up, so all the dudes who parked there took my spot.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Unless you have really cheap gas and expensive electricity it will be cheaper to operate in heat mode.

Gas is at best 50% efficient where a heat pump can be 200-400% efficient. Moving heat is easier than making heat.

There are also proper window mounted split unit heat pumps available now.

mini math time for fun:

modern furnaces are often 90+% efficient. some claim up to 97%. mine's a 90% or so, iirc. a good heat pump system like the Mitsubishi has a COP of 2.53-2.85 at 17F. inferior ones will start to lose efficiency at this point.

I have time of use pricing but let's use the summer off-peak rate of 12 cents/kWh for this. as best as I can parse my most recent Xcel bill I paid 98 cents/therm last month.

1 therm == 99980 BTU. 1 W makes 3.412 BTU/hr.

so let's say we need 12,000 BTU heating for 1 hour a day. (it's a tiny hypothetical house, what can I say :D) that'd be 12 cents of NG in our hypothetical 97% furnace. at COP of 2.85 the math comes to 12,000 / (3.412 * 2.85) == 1.23 kWh, I believe, which would be 15 cents.