Quantcast

{{*}} Fried Eh{{*}}

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
IME around here, this is why it was difficult to find someone to quote us. I have a mini split in the Bong Shed™ and it works really well, but finding someone in a small mountain town that deals with them isn't super easy.

@Toshi—noted WRT mini-split(s) for the house. I'll talk to Teh Spousal Unit™ but she's got her brain set on swamp cooler for some number of reasons. I'd be into using it for heating and cooling TBH, our furnace is in a closet in our bedroom and it's a noisy fucker. We could (probably) easily cool/heat our entire house with a couple of mini splits, I would guess. We ain't even 1100 sq. ft. up in here! Though the layout is funky so I'm not sure how we'd get the right airflow to efficiently cool/heat each room or area.
Lots of gubmint and state money rebates towards heatpump installs and equipment. @Toshi was helpful in his thread for me a couple of weeks ago.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
how much square feet are you wanting to cool and what kind of power do you have near the location
Ours is a small brick house, cooling the main living/dining/kitchen area is the main objective as they get the most heat from large windows facing due west at elevation. We already have insulated blinds on the large windows and being cheap I've been using some reflectix packaging on the front door glass and another small window without a blind.

Probably 500 sq ft, with an outside 110v outlet near where the outside bit would likely need to be. Otherwise the outside distribution panel isn't too far from there either.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
A day to never forget. Rolled over 40 on the odometer. Caught and dispatched a skunk for the 1st time - was hoping for that damn weasel. Loading the fam into a Uhaul so they can escape Ganglandia. Life's crazy all the time anyways.

Every time my kids go outside they say, dad it smells like a skunk! Yes it does hahah

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Ours is a small brick house, cooling the main living/dining/kitchen area is the main objective as they get the most heat from large windows facing due west at elevation. We already have insulated blinds on the large windows and being cheap I've been using some reflectix packaging on the front door glass and another small window without a blind.

Probably 500 sq ft, with an outside 110v outlet near where the outside bit would likely need to be. Otherwise the outside distribution panel isn't too far from there either.

This would work fine for you then, you can install it yourself with a set of hoses and vac pump from harbor freight, plenty of videos on YT to figure it out.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just came upstairs and everybody is gone. Normally I would use now (lunch) to load the car for the track tomorrow, but it's way too hot to leave it in there all day with gas in it, so we shall do it in the morning.

Mostly smile and dial to my new clients today. Had my 1-1 with my new mgr yesterday. My issues/frustrations were the exact things on her list to address, so we're working out that stuff to make the backend of my day-day smoother. Not surprisingly, my client facing stuff is top notch, it's the operations that is slowing me down.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
A day to never forget. Rolled over 40 on the odometer. Caught and dispatched a skunk for the 1st time - was hoping for that damn weasel. Loading the fam into a Uhaul so they can escape Ganglandia. Life's crazy all the time anyways.

Every time my kids go outside they say, dad it smells like a skunk! Yes it does hahah
Wait your birthday is today? How did I not know this?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Off to Park City to see Jason Isbell and ride some. Also breakfast with a friend who is a national sales manager for Shimano, and see if I can get him to violate an embargo/nda agreement, lol.
(he won’t)
he did say electronic XTR/XT will be released in ‘25.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Off to Park City to see Jason Isbell and ride some. Also breakfast with a friend who is a national sales manager for Shimano, and see if I can get him to violate an embargo/nda agreement, lol.
(he won’t)
That's a fairly ope n secret. Ask him about new Saint.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
(he won’t)
No one has actually confirmed that publicly, afaik.
Most people thought it would come on the heels of the GRXrelease (which was timed in part by unbound Gravel.)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

My house generally stays cool all day except when we have long days and low afternoon sun just cooks the west side of the house. Reflective window film helps a lot as does an awning to create shade. That brick is going to hold heat for a long time.

I don't know if he ever built it but @mrbigisbudgood, was planning on building a house based a lot on solar calculations. Long eaves and placed near a pond and oak trees so the house was always shaded in summer, in the winter with low sun no leaves on the trees reflection from the point would get maximum solar heating.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My house generally stays cool all day except when we have long days and low afternoon sun just cooks the west side of the house. Reflective window film helps a lot as does an awning to create shade. That brick is going to hold heat for a long time.

I don't know if he ever built it but @mrbigisbudgood, was planning on building a house based a lot on solar calculations. Long eaves and placed near a pond and oak trees so the house was always shaded in summer, in the winter with low sun no leaves on the trees reflection from the point would get maximum solar heating.
wasn't that part of what LEED criteria was all about?

what the hell ever happened to him anyway?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_3943.jpeg

peaked at 102 Freedoms. I was denied the promised 103. House stayed constant at 70 inside even with just two tons of central AC thanks to the magic of insulation.