Quantcast

(((* Fried hay *)))

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
FTS and FTP are both up. 242w and over 9000 fuck-you-fridays

I keep waking up at 415 and running work-related conversations through my head. I spend my free time doomscrolling linkedin and updating my resume rather than relaxing and finding weird bike parts to buy. I had the most amazing day yesterday fucking around with the kids- we went to the zoo, played legos, all kinds of dumb stuff.

I have approval to quit from the wife. We'll save on nanny, day care, and summer camp expenses, and we got some cashola this spring from a company acquisition that could make this reasonable. Just need to get timing right, and see if I can fix what's broken at work before i do.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Guess it's awake time. Lots to do for work, so starting early. Hoping I can end early and work on the car some.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This Friday has already been way too productive for my liking. I did an hour of real easy pedaling on the KICKR, have downed two cups of coffee, have done two loads of laundry, and walked the dog. Someone scheduled a 4:00 meeting this afternoon but came to their senses and cancelled it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lights still dim and flickering. High draw appliances (dryer, furnace, hot tub heater) won't run. Power company is here. They are gonna try unplugging it then plugging it back in.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Funny how much the new chain/chainring improve shifting. It's quick and precise now, no hesitation. Now, the question is, do I like the 70mm stem on the squishy bike more than the 50mm that was on there before...:think:

Which has me thinking, why is it that all I see are < 50mm stems these days, on all sized frames, with all different rider heights. Are people just riding with shorter stems and making a performance for fit trade-off?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mornin!

Funny how much the new chain/chainring improve shifting. It's quick and precise now, no hesitation. Now, the question is, do I like the 70mm stem on the squishy bike more than the 50mm that was on there before...:think:

Which has me thinking, why is it that all I see are < 50mm stems these days, on all sized frames, with all different rider heights. Are people just riding with shorter stems and making a performance for fit trade-off?
Some of us like super twitchy steering

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Bikes are longer, stems are shorter.
Yes, but I see people at one end of the height spectrum (for the same size frame) with the same length stem as a person at the other end of the height spectrum. It used to be commonplace to see the taller rider with say a 90mm stem, and the shorter rider with a 50mm. I don't see that any longer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes, but I see people at one end of the height spectrum (for the same size frame) with the same length stem as a person at the other end of the height spectrum. It used to be commonplace to see the taller rider with say a 90mm stem, and the shorter rider with a 50mm. I don't see that any longer.
Because 90mm stems make bikes handle like a Buick?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Because 90mm stems make bikes handle like a Buick?
So the conventional wisdom of using stem length to compensate for rider height within a frame size spectrum is no longer applicable? Is the new guidance that choice of stem length is chosen solely based upon desired handling characteristics? Or have TT lengths been increased to the point where the industry has determined stems longer than 50mm are no longer required for any rider really?

I haven't followed the progression of geometry and sizing over the past decade, so I honestly don't know how that shift transpired.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So the conventional wisdom of using stem length to compensate for rider height within a frame size spectrum is no longer applicable? Is the new guidance that choice of stem length is chosen solely based upon desired handling characteristics? Or have TT lengths been increased to the point where the industry has determined stems longer than 50mm are no longer required for any rider really?
In my limited experience, you should not be trying to tune frame fit by more than 10mm of stem length difference. Pick a different frame or a different handlebar height instead, do not go with longer than 55mm stems.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
WOO FRIDAY

Seven new people starting over the next two weeks. Mad shuffle for computers here.

Planning out rides for the weekend...

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
If at least one person replies to this I'm going to fuck off work this afternoon to ride

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Ever read a headline and be like "Wait. What? Zombies? No fucking way. Oh nevermind, just some stupid, ignorant Millennial looking for clicks by writing an intentionally misleading headline."
McRae (eternally) > Block

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I haven't followed the progression of geometry and sizing over the past decade, so I honestly don't know how that shift transpired.
long answer now that i'm not on just my phone:

stem length impacts both handling characteristics (steering) of the bike as well as ergonomics. stem length used to be more important for fit because geometry sucked and bikes were too short. nowadays bike geometry is MUCH more sorted, ergonomics of the frames themselves are vastly improved - as well as sizing (including larger frame sizes for people who would historically need a 80mm stem or longer) so stem length now is mostly just to get steering handling dialed.

also mountain bikes no longer have road bike geometry.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
long answer now that i'm not on just my phone:

stem length impacts both handling characteristics (steering) of the bike as well as ergonomics. stem length used to be more important for fit because geometry sucked and bikes were too short. nowadays bike geometry is MUCH more sorted, ergonomics of the frames themselves are vastly improved - as well as sizing (including larger frame sizes for people who would historically need a 80mm stem or longer) so stem length now is mostly just to get steering handling dialed.

also mountain bikes no longer have road bike geometry.
This is an interesting concept, and something I'll have to explore further. Perhaps a shorter stem (I've tried 50mm and 70mm) is in my future to see what it does for my comfort level and bike handling. As someone who is always on the cusp of frame sizes, I've tended to go smaller and adjust with stem length, but the lack of success I've found in fitting my Yeti, even after 4 years, may be due to outdated ideas how what to adjust and when.

Time to order a 30mm stem and see what happens. Maybe an I9 318?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This is an interesting concept, and something I'll have to explore further. Perhaps a shorter stem (I've tried 50mm and 70mm) is in my future to see what it does for my comfort level and bike handling. As someone who is always on the cusp of frame sizes, I've tended to go smaller and adjust with stem length, but the lack of success I've found in fitting my Yeti, even after 4 years, may be due to outdated ideas how what to adjust and when.

I have a small collection of stems, you can try a few sizes the next time we ride.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i wouldn't go that short on stem length. general rule is you want something about the length of your fork offset or slightly longer.

also i don't think they make stems that short, i think the shortest you can easily find is low 30's.

also also i say this as someone running a 35mm stem.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I got rid of my Yeti because I too was between sizes and went smaller, could never get it to feel right. Actually the best thing I did was put an eccentric BB in there and added 7mm to the reach and shortened up the chainstays.

On my new bikes I prefer a 50mm stem, am fine with a 60, but I hated how the bikes handle with a 40. Front end felt floppy and I have to work too hard to get enough weight on the front wheel for cornering.

I just picked up an i-9 318 stem. I wasn't looking for an expensive anodized CNC stem, I was looking for something available. However I can honestly say it is the nicest bike part I have ever owned. Not just machined, but nicely tumbled and deburred. You can tell they designed the part around machining it with proper tool geometry instead of just cutting everything with a .25" endmill.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So Wifey, after a fucking year, has decided to finally start using her Echelon and doing classes. This morning she decided to do one to rock music and discovered "go fast music".

Rise Against - Savior

Not the most aggressive by any means, but she just busted into my office, eyes wide open, to tell me about it. It's like "Yes honey. Now do you understand why I like punk and metal? The beat and cadence are 100%, all the time, go fast music." :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So Wifey, after a fucking year, has decided to finally start using her Echelon and doing classes. This morning she decided to do one to rock music and discovered "go fast music".

Rise Against - Savior

Not the most aggressive by any means, but she just busted into my office, eyes wide open, to tell me about it. It's like "Yes honey. Now do you understand why I like punk and metal? The beat and cadence are 100%, all the time, go fast music." :rofl:
I'm gonna send your wife a Power Trip record.