Quantcast

(((* Fried hay *)))

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just saw someone's face for the first time without a mask, not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I had in mind, I guess?

I got moved to this building at work after the pandemic and face mask mandate stuff started; it just hit me that I've only seen maybe 5% of the people working here without a mask.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I got rid of my Yeti because I too was between sizes and went smaller, could never get it to feel right. Actually the best thing I did was put an eccentric BB in there and added 7mm to the reach and shortened up the chainstays.

On my new bikes I prefer a 50mm stem, am fine with a 60, but I hated how the bikes handle with a 40. Front end felt floppy and I have to work too hard to get enough weight on the front wheel for cornering.

I just picked up an i-9 318 stem. I wasn't looking for an expensive anodized CNC stem, I was looking for something available. However I can honestly say it is the nicest bike part I have ever owned. Not just machined, but nicely tumbled and deburred. You can tell they designed the part around machining it with proper tool geometry instead of just cutting everything with a .25" endmill.
I think my problem with my Yeti, and perhaps this can be attributed to them being designed by and optimized for CO type terrain, is the feeling of being on top of the bike while in the saddle. It feels great while pedaling uphill, as it naturally wants to put you in a position optimized for climbing, but while pedaling along flat or undulating terrain, I feel very hand heavy/on top of the front end. With the saddle down, it doesn't manifest itself as my body positioning isn't bike dependent. I guess I didn't notice this as much while I was in CO because so many trails are either up or down with little in between.

Oddly, I almost feel like I could benefit from having a taller front end. Like, throwing on a longer 160mm fork type front end to raise it up. Maybe that would help shift things back into a more comfortable realm? Would certainly allow more handlebar height combos without resorting to having a huge stack of spacers under my stem.

Not sure, but I've worked extra hard to get things to feel right, but just haven't stumbled across the right combination of things.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This sounds like the opposite of what you should be doing
as much of a whiney bitch that I am, I try not to be a quitter. I want to give it a fair shake before throwing in the towel. If this is something that can be remedied with a conversation, then I want to try that. If not, then it's summer vacation time.

I got rid of my Yeti because I too was between sizes and went smaller, could never get it to feel right. Actually the best thing I did was put an eccentric BB in there and added 7mm to the reach and shortened up the chainstays.

On my new bikes I prefer a 50mm stem, am fine with a 60, but I hated how the bikes handle with a 40. Front end felt floppy and I have to work too hard to get enough weight on the front wheel for cornering.

I just picked up an i-9 318 stem. I wasn't looking for an expensive anodized CNC stem, I was looking for something available. However I can honestly say it is the nicest bike part I have ever owned. Not just machined, but nicely tumbled and deburred. You can tell they designed the part around machining it with proper tool geometry instead of just cutting everything with a .25" endmill.
You people need to stem this conversation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
as much of a whiney bitch that I am, I try not to be a quitter. I want to give it a fair shake before throwing in the towel. If this is something that can be remedied with a conversation, then I want to try that. If not, then it's summer vacation time.
I guess it depends on the nature of the issues. If it's something you caused then you bail, that's unprofessional. But if it's something systemic that you can't fix yourself, isn't that why you'd be leaving in the first place?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think my problem with my Yeti, and perhaps this can be attributed to them being designed by and optimized for CO type terrain, is the feeling of being on top of the bike while in the saddle. It feels great while pedaling uphill, as it naturally wants to put you in a position optimized for climbing, but while pedaling along flat or undulating terrain, I feel very hand heavy/on top of the front end. With the saddle down, it doesn't manifest itself as my body positioning isn't bike dependent. I guess I didn't notice this as much while I was in CO because so many trails are either up or down with little in between.

Oddly, I almost feel like I could benefit from having a taller front end. Like, throwing on a longer 160mm fork type front end to raise it up. Maybe that would help shift things back into a more comfortable realm? Would certainly allow more handlebar height combos without resorting to having a huge stack of spacers under my stem.

Not sure, but I've worked extra hard to get things to feel right, but just haven't stumbled across the right combination of things.
I think it's extremely important to note that most bike fit is extremely rider-dependent

That being said, while the ridemonkey school of thought is YOU MUST HAVE A 50mm STEM OR YOU WILL DIE FOREVER and the industry school of thought is SHORTEN ALL THE STEMS there is, in fact, a reason that longer stems have existed and continue to exist- they put your weight in an ideal location for climbing. I'd say it's more about weight balance than climbing alone, but the right stem length will allow you to climb and descend with reasonable control. Too long and too much weight is over the front. Too short and the front end gets light and it makes it hard to climb. That's why there's been a shift toward steeper seat angles- to push your weight back to center. Longer front center plus steep SA and short stem makes the cockpit feel like a shorter bike with a longer stem.

I don't know what your current stem length is, and I don't know if your issues will be fixed with a shorter or longer one, but it's something I've often thought about as I hear the west coast crew rattle on about "sTeMs aRe a HANdlIng ComPoNENT, nOT foR FIT"...out here on the east coast, you spend a majority of your time swapping between up and down, not grinding up and then flying down, and I think it's OK to design your bike and fit around the concept...can you give up high speed handling for better handling 95% of the time out here?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think it's extremely important to note that most bike fit is extremely rider-dependent

That being said, while the ridemonkey school of thought is YOU MUST HAVE A 50mm STEM OR YOU WILL DIE FOREVER and the industry school of thought is SHORTEN ALL THE STEMS there is, in fact, a reason that longer stems have existed and continue to exist- they put your weight in an ideal location for climbing. I'd say it's more about weight balance than climbing alone, but the right stem length will allow you to climb and descend with reasonable control. Too long and too much weight is over the front. Too short and the front end gets light and it makes it hard to climb. That's why there's been a shift toward steeper seat angles- to push your weight back to center. Longer front center plus steep SA and short stem makes the cockpit feel like a shorter bike with a longer stem.

I don't know what your current stem length is, and I don't know if your issues will be fixed with a shorter or longer one, but it's something I've often thought about as I hear the west coast crew rattle on about "sTeMs aRe a HANdlIng ComPoNENT, nOT foR FIT"...out here on the east coast, you spend a majority of your time swapping between up and down, not grinding up and then flying down, and I think it's OK to design your bike and fit around the concept...can you give up high speed handling for better handling 95% of the time out here?
Whoa careful there... Or a certain monkey will starting talking about ebikes

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I didn't have that feeling but I was running a 150mm fork and the eccentric BB. If I still had it I would also throw on an angleset without hesitation.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I guess it depends on the nature of the issues. If it's something you caused then you bail, that's unprofessional. But if it's something systemic that you can't fix yourself, isn't that why you'd be leaving in the first place?
My boss is under pressure from her boss to perform- she arbitrarily doubled my workload because she/he thinks I'm not doing enough. I cannot physically work harder and I am dropping a ton of balls simply trying to keep up. The mental stress is phenomenal and the moving goalposts make it impossible to succeed. I cannot design a novel biological assay if we don't know what we're testing for, and when we get close to figuring it out, it turns out we were actually trying for something totally different- so I fail every time. I know that this is likely coming from her interactions with her superior, but it's quite literally killing me. I don't need this job bad enough to put up with it, but I'm a fixer and have to at least try and make it better. I also have a direct report whom I desperately want to shield from the insanity and I can't do that if I just leave.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Forget adjustable frames, we need dynamic length-adjustable stems for climbing and descending alike

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I think the weight balance part is my biggest issue, and I'd wager it comes from a combination of having more of my height be torso, and for having shorter arms for said torso length. As a result, the frame that fits in the standover department has a shorter stack height, which combined with my arm length has me too far over the front. My current setup has a good 40mm of spacers under the 50mm stem with a 1/2" rise handlebar, and it still feels like I have too much weight on my hands. It feels pretty spot on if my saddle height was 3" shorter, but I'd like to preserve my already crunchy knees.

It appears I can fairly easily turn my 150mm fork into a 160mm fork. I'm hoping that if I do that and throw on a shorter stem (maybe with a higher rise bar too?) I can get close to a comfy setup.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have never paid attention to a single length or angle on any bike component I've ever been on and I seem to do okay.

Not saying I wouldn't be better off if I did. I just build stuff so it "looks right" and that approach has never failed me. I am, however, a tremendous hack.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My boss is under pressure from her boss to perform- she arbitrarily doubled my workload because she/he thinks I'm not doing enough. I cannot physically work harder and I am dropping a ton of balls simply trying to keep up. The mental stress is phenomenal and the moving goalposts make it impossible to succeed. I cannot design a novel biological assay if we don't know what we're testing for, and when we get close to figuring it out, it turns out we were actually trying for something totally different- so I fail every time. I know that this is likely coming from her interactions with her superior, but it's quite literally killing me. I don't need this job bad enough to put up with it, but I'm a fixer and have to at least try and make it better. I also have a direct report whom I desperately want to shield from the insanity and I can't do that if I just leave.
Sounds like there's a lot bigger issues than just resourcing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dusted my trials bike off for the first time in years to derp around the backyard. After about ten minutes I started contemplating how much I could get if I parted it out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have never paid attention to a single length or angle on any bike component I've ever been on and I seem to do okay.

Not saying I wouldn't be better off if I did. I just build stuff so it "looks right" and that approach has never failed me. I am, however, a tremendous hack.
What kind of engineer are you?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
lil dude wanted to go for a quick ride so we did. i was super impressed with how much he's progressed in riding tech-y, punchy stuff over the past month. he should probably be on something better than my wife's 1999 rockhopper.