Quantcast

Fried $^$ Hay

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Costco margins are about 10%. And they indeed treat their employees well. They are in big boxes but are not like the other big box stores, IMO.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The only stuff we buy regularly at Costco is poultry (including wings), fish, eggs, coffee beans, cat litter, and toilet paper. We don't go through produce fast enough to get it there, unless we are having company or something. We do get our steaks there as well, but that's maybe only twice a year.

Now that I have a meat grinder I'll probably buy some chuck and pork as well.

I do buy certain spices there too, like the ones I make my dry rub with due to the large quantities needed.

And I recently discovered they sell canned San marzano tomatoes as well

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
SHOCKING that a bunch of non breeders don't see much value in bulk purchasing TP and Parm.

In any case the word on the street is they treat their employees well and have less turnover (at least in BZN it's a quasi plum job...)

Costco has low prices because they make all their cash on memberships.

1630175637690.png

Costco manages the same operating margin with half the gross margin because of its membership fees and efficiency. Over the last five years, membership fees made up 98% of Costco's net income. In other words, Costco isn't really trying to make money by selling goods

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Things I like from Costco:

- gasoline generally 25-30 cents cheaper than prevailing rates, with hoses long enough to stretch to either side of the car
- butter croissants
- 35 can flats of Diet Coke
- USDA Prime ribeyes when I deign to drop down to that grade
- brie
- both the Norwegian smoked salmon by itself and in that 3 row pack of square pieces with one peppered, one spiced
- berries for the ravenous kids
- Charmin
- organic brown eggs
- Kerrygold
- Purelife protein drink 18 packs

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
SHOCKING that a bunch of non breeders don't see much value in bulk purchasing TP and Parm.

In any case the word on the street is they treat their employees well and have less turnover (at least in BZN it's a quasi plum job...)

View attachment 164132

Costco manages the same operating margin with half the gross margin because of its membership fees and efficiency. Over the last five years, membership fees made up 98% of Costco's net income. In other words, Costco isn't really trying to make money by selling goods
Which is funny, because when you jump to executive membership you earn cash back. We get enough back that way that it pays for the membership.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So if your illegally parked in a no standing zone and the Meter Maid gives you a ticket. Why would you start a fight with her for doing her Job? Fat White Bitch not only got clocked by the Meter Maid for grabbing her arm as she was trying to walk away. She got the ticket, got arrested, and a trip to the Hospital. The cop said her car will be towed if she doesn't get out of the emergency room to get her car. She said she would be there at 4:01 to make sure of it. Fat White Bitch definitely had a broken nose and a concussion when her head hit the ground. I could hear Her screaming inside the Ambulance (I ain't got the fucking Covid). The Cops had to help the EMT's strap her to the Gurney for thrashing around and then put a bag over her head as Blood was flying everywhere. That was fun to watch. I gave the cute Cop my address in case they need me to fill out a Affidavit. I gave her my phone number just in case she needed that also. I was illegally parked the whole time and didn't get a ticket....

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Which is funny, because when you jump to executive membership you earn cash back. We get enough back that way that it pays for the membership.
yeah, we have a few things we consistently get there, plus gas. but we get between $1k and $1.5k back per year from the executive membership/credit card. everything that can goes on it and it is paid off every month.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So if your illegally parked in a no standing zone and the Meter Maid gives you a ticket. Why would you start a fight with her for doing her Job? Fat White Bitch not only got clocked by the Meter Maid for grabbing her arm as she was trying to walk away. She got the ticket, got arrested, and a trip to the Hospital. The cop said her car will be towed if she doesn't get out of the emergency room to get her car. She said she would be there at 4:01 to make sure of it. Fat White Bitch definitely had a broken nose and a concussion when her head hit the ground. I could hear Her screaming inside the Ambulance (I ain't got the fucking Covid). The Cops had to help the EMT's strap her to the Gurney for thrashing around and then put a bag over her head as Blood was flying everywhere. That was fun to watch. I gave the cute Cop my address in case they need me to fill out a Affidavit. I gave her my phone number just in case she needed that also. I was illegally parked the whole time and didn't get a ticket....
That’s Upstate As Fuck.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

View attachment 164132

SHOCKING you'd assume that I don't have children and don't love a good deal. I live in town and nothing costo sells can't be had for the same or better prices and I can walk and bike to most of them. That's good living to me. I have tried it fwiw.

Good to hear they treat their employees well. My default was not to assume otherwise. I guess that's not a given in the USA in 2021?

Wild business model that 98% of their net is membership fees.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
SHOCKING you'd assume that I don't have children.
Apologies my snark canon misfired, I was aiming for Nick ;)

I view nonbreeders as a compliment / sign of intelligence

No harm, no foul, shop on :cheers:

Team Costco big and small...

Butter, eggs, cheese, dog treats, sup and kayaks, mortgage but I've certainly thrown away (rotting food) savings too...