Quantcast

%^% Fried hay %^%

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had a meeting last week with an “aerospace” company in which I actually had to ask them to warn me when they switched units during our conversation. “Well, this in tenths, but we do this in microns, this in inches again and we measure this in mm…” I may be exaggerating a little, but they were definitely mixing and matching their units…
What's the worst that could happen?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Haley's birthday party sleepover is chaotic. I've never been happier to sit in a closed office with headphones and study.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I had a meeting last week with an “aerospace” company in which I actually had to ask them to warn me when they switched units during our conversation. “Well, this in tenths, but we do this in microns, this in inches again and we measure this in mm…” I may be exaggerating a little, but they were definitely mixing and matching their units…
Microns are for some unholy reason used way too much in otherwise imperial shops. I presume it's because verbally saying any measurement smaller than a tenth gets to be a bit of a mouthful, but it's goddamn confusing.

Of course I've worked with enough simpletons who can't decimal that I read off decimal dimensions as fractional equivalents most of the time. Telling a machinist the dimension is 3/16" +5 tenths, minus zero is technically accurate, but confusing as hell.

Numbers are dumb.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
was this the same company that smashed a probe into Mars instead of a soft landing because one team used metric and the other used "Merican" units in the weight/speed calculation?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Microns are for some unholy reason used way too much in otherwise imperial shops. I presume it's because verbally saying any measurement smaller than a tenth gets to be a bit of a mouthful, but it's goddamn confusing.

Of course I've worked with enough simpletons who can't decimal that I read off decimal dimensions as fractional equivalents most of the time. Telling a machinist the dimension is 3/16" +5 tenths, minus zero is technically accurate, but confusing as hell.

Numbers are dumb.
I am just happy I live in a world where a tenth is 100 times larger than a millionth.