Quantcast

@Frig MT@

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Had a satisfying ride last night and thoroughly enjoyed the new fork. Definite upgrade in stiffness, small bump compliance, and the travel adjust was nice dialing it down for the uphill. :thumb: for that!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hello.

Still sick. I'm done with this day right meow. One meeting in 45 minutes and then a few other tasks to do and then I might call it quits.

Apparently it is a long weekend?:banana:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies! It's the 3rd of 5 days predicted rain and so far predictions have been spot on. There might be a break or two for a road ride but the trails are wet and will probably be wet until Tuesday. I'll have to amuse myself with guns and alcohol this weekend.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
First day of corporate assimilation. The biggest challenge of the day will be staying awake and hiding my contempt fore team building role playing exercises.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
First day of corporate assimilation. The biggest challenge of the day will be staying awake and hiding my contempt fore team building role playing exercises.
I haven't done those in a few years, nor have I ever been lost in the woods after a plane crash with coworkers...

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Why is it, that even though I make my coffee the same way everyday, that some days it's just so much better? My coffee is amazballs this morning. :drool: Just finished a 5k. PT released me back into the wild so I'm finally done with that. New dog to vet this afternoon, various household duties to accomplish this AM.

lost in the woods after a plane crass with with coworkers...
Ever seen "The Edge" with Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins? Amazing movie.

Weekend over for me, good couple days spent with the family.
:stupid:

Sunday for me. Lame. :(

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Mo' work, but with blue skies and 80 degrees there will definitely be mo' riding to be done this afternoon :monkeydance:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
doing a cannonball in 50 degree pool water is a good way to really wake up...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Heading up Chimney now. It's beautiful outside.
Gonna need some peanut butter for all this jelly. I will instead look longingly in the direction of the 3 frosted over skylights as I sit here on our windowless mezzanine and dream of bikes...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Turns out Geax Goma's suck donkey balls. Worst. Tires. Ever. Fucking hell. Need to get some HRII's back on my Felicia, stat.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Worse than Nevegals? I call shenanigans.
Oddly enough there was a fella on the ride last night who, when I was on a tirade about these Gomas, was asking why I felt they were so bad. His favorites? Nevegals. I told him he wouldn't understand...

My feedback on the Gomas, for the record, is:
  1. Ridiculously thin sidewalls. This manifested in two ways:
    • Throw them into a corner and pray you don't die... I could feel the tire giving up the ghost when I pushed them hard, particularly in corners and under hard braking but pretty much everywhere really.
    • A rock punctured the carcass of these tires on the first ride. A big enough slice that sealant wouldn't seal it. ON THE FIRST RIDE.
  2. The Geax "Sticky Rubber" compound is not as advertised.
  3. Wicked round profile. The knob pattern looks like it's gonna be awesome when it's not on a wheel... very similar in look to a Specialized Butcher: strong center knobs and stout cornering/side knobs with a bit of a channel in between. But once they're on the rim and inflated, they're SUPER round. And when one gets to leaning them over, they just wash out. Ugh.
They did seem to roll fast though, which was probably because there's no rubber in them i.e. light-ish. And what with that round profile there's not so much rolling resistance. But still... Hate. As in, hate with the heat of a thousand suns. I can't remember the last time I disliked a tire so much, within minutes.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oddly enough there was a fella on the ride last night who, when I was on a tirade about these Gomas, was asking why I felt they were so bad. His favorites? Nevegals. I told him he wouldn't understand...

My feedback on the Gomas, for the record, is:
  1. Ridiculously thin sidewalls. This manifested in two ways:
    • Throw them into a corner and pray you don't die... I could feel the tire giving up the ghost when I pushed them hard, particularly in corners and under hard braking but pretty much everywhere really.
    • A rock punctured the carcass of these tires on the first ride. A big enough slice that sealant wouldn't seal it. ON THE FIRST RIDE.
  2. The Geax "Sticky Rubber" compound is not as advertised.
  3. Wicked round profile. The knob pattern looks like it's gonna be awesome when it's not on a wheel... very similar in look to a Specialized Butcher: strong center knobs and stout cornering/side knobs with a bit of a channel in between. But once they're on the rim and inflated, they're SUPER round. And when one gets to leaning them over, they just wash out. Ugh.
They did seem to roll fast though, which was probably because there's no rubber in them i.e. light-ish. And what with that round profile there's not so much rolling resistance. But still... Hate. As in, hate with the heat of a thousand suns. I can't remember the last time I disliked a tire so much, within minutes.
Maxxis4Life DAWG

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So I got my bike back from the shop yesterday. Cost me $150, which I don't mind paying to have me back up and running for my race this weekend. Half of that $150 was for a new tire though, racka fracka LBS. Shop Mechanic apologized for not going ahead and ordering me a new rear wheel and I was all LOL fuck that. Turns out I banged up my bike pretty good on my crash. Two cables got stretched and pulled out of place, the derailleur hanger got bent, then front derailluer got knocked out of alignment, and the previously mentioned rear tire got shredded along the side, thus the replacement. The rear wheel is safe to use and won't collapse on me mid-ride, but it got dented and will just continue to work itself out of true. So now I need to start looking at replacement options but just don't have the mental energy for that right now.

Anyway, duathlon Sunday. 5K run, 16 mile bike, 5K run. My coach (I have a coach for IM training) told me to go a little easy on the first run and aim for 10K pace, then let it rip after that. "Hammer the first 8 uphill miles of the bike, then hammer the second half even harder. Maximum effort." :dead: I've never raced my bike at max effort. This will be interesting. He said worry about run 2 when I get to run 2. heh.

tl:dr: tridouche stuffs

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So I got my bike back from the shop yesterday. Cost me $150, which I don't mind paying to have me back up and running for my race this weekend. Half of that $150 was for a new tire though, racka fracka LBS. Shop Mechanic apologized for not going ahead and ordering me a new rear wheel and I was all LOL fuck that. Turns out I banged up my bike pretty good on my crash. Two cables got stratched and pulled out of place, the derailleur hanger got bent, then front derailluer got knocked out of alignment, and the previously mentioned rear tire got shredded along the side, thus the replacement. The rear wheel is safe to use and won't collapse on me mid-ride, but it got dented and will just continue to work itself out of true. So now I need to start looking at replacement options but just don't have the mental energy for that right now.

Anyway, duathlon Sunday. 5K run, 16 mile bike, 5K run. My coach (I have a coach for IM training) told me to go a little easy on the first run and aim for 10K pace, then let it rip after that. "Hammer the first 8 uphill miles of the bike, then hammer the second half even harder. Maximum effort." :dead: I've never raced my bike at max effort. This will be interesting. He said worry about run 2 when I get to run 2. heh.

tl:dr: tridouche stuffs
HRM ftw.