Quantcast

Friggin Monday GMT hell

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Wife coming home after 3 day chickfest in NYC; got some cleaning to do so she can resume sammich making. Boys started the day with all limbs/appendages intact so the solo weekend was a success.

Dropped $18k on new heat-pump heating/cooling system for our house on friday.
Need to get off the heating oil and switching to gas would've been equally expensive yet cost more to operate.
Based on very conservative historical oil consumption rates, at current pricing (it has quadrupled in cost over the last 10yrs), the switch will pay for itself in well under 8 years and reduce our heating bills by 2/3s.
We will still use oil for hot water and for when temps get below 15* but our annual oil consumption will be less than a single current heating month.

Now that my 'green' karma has been boosted it's time for a tuner for the truck, thus equalizing the carbon universe.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Celebrated Grandmas's 96th b-day over the weekend. Her present = a broken hip. Surgery yesterday mornin went well and she's in recovery. Good thing she's a hearty one.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dropped $18k on new heat-pump heating/cooling system for our house on friday.
Excellent. Did you go with air source ultimately, given that that quote isn't super high? Didn't make sense to add an electric demand water heater, too?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Excellent. Did you go with air source ultimately, given that that quote isn't super high? Didn't make sense to add an electric demand water heater, too?
Yep, Fujitsu air source.
5 ceiling mount units and two outdoor compressors (room to add two more units if desired in future.)

Our water heater was replaced ~2yrs ago for $2500. It's very efficient and didn't make financial sense to swap it given the need to retain oil for cold snaps.

Also need to insulate the attic. Current insulation is about thickness of sunday NYT; total joke.
After rebates that'll run another $2k but the energy budget was based on current insulation so it's a no brainer.

So glad I thought of all this just AFTER the winter but the eye-watering oil bills were certainly motivational.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Today is Monday, otherwise known as Sunday in Angrymetalsmith land. A couple asked me if I could schedule an appointment for an engagement ring for them since it's their day off. So reluctantly I agree because, well, I need work just like everybody else.

They called to tell me they were running 20-30 minutes late. I told them that was ok, but I have to leave a little before 3:00 (their app. was at 2:00) for a doctors appointment that I cannot be late for. A few minutes later they call back saying they have to cancel and wanted to know when a convenient time for me would be ?

:rant:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It took me many years to learn to stick to my schedule, not that of prospective clients.
The fear of 'lost work' had me doing quotes in the evening and on weekends for years.

Then I started tracking the closing rates on those quotes and they sucked.
IMO, if a customer isn't willing to take time off their day to meet with you (ie respect your hours of business) they don't respect you, period.

I only do quotes during weekday business hours (7-5). No exceptions unless they're a repeat and even then they better have a good reason. This practice has dramatically reduced the tire-kickers and wasted time.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Starting family road trip 2013 tomorrow. First we drive to Washington to see the big sites and the air and space museum. Then later in the day we continue on to Florida for some sun and beach time. Planning to drive to St. Augustine. If there are any RMs close by I can bring my XC bike?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Don't forget the annex at Dulles.
Lots of killer planes there including a shuttle, the Enola Gay and other awesomeness they couldn't fit downtown.
The Native American museum next to dtown A&S also has an awesome injun food court, though somewhat pricey.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Survived my first day at the new job. A bit of snow and the HR and IT department didn't show up. I sat in the lobby for a few hours until my boss came out of some morning meetings. He wasn't expecting to see me until HR was done with me mid-day, of course they were not there. Couldn't get my computer so I had little to do but sit in on meetings where I had no idea what was going on. Struggled with all my might to stay away, pretty sure I lost that battle a few times. More snow tonight may keep the IT nerds at home again so it may be another day of the same. I don't get to do anything fun until I pass my clean room certification which will not be until the middle of next week. This is going to be a boring first week.