Quantcast

friggin piece of crap washing machine

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So our machine decided it's going to quit mid-cycle from now on without draining the water. I don't know wtf is wrong with the thing. It's not a drainage block. It's got be a pump or electrical problem.

So, pay $150-$200 for a repair, or just buy a new one? Looks I'm going shopping tomorrow...

and of course I pull my goddamn back trying to move the full machine to get to the drain hose. :dead:

:nopity:

J

JRB

Did you really drain it once and then let it fill back up again??? :nonono:

I Are Baboon said:
So our machine decided it's going to quit mid-cycle from now on without draining the water. I don't know wtf is wrong with the thing. It's not a drainage block. It's got be a pump or electrical problem.

So, pay $150-$200 for a repair, or just buy a new one? Looks I'm going shopping tomorrow...

and of course I pull my goddamn back trying to move the full machine to get to the drain hose. :dead:

:nopity:
Use a shop vac to empty it.
Buy a manual. It ain't rocket science.

J

JRB

Whatever you do, don't open the gear box up in the house. Don't ask me how I know this.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
It most likely is the lid switch. If it thinks the lid is open it won't start the spin cycle and pump the water out. Try jumpering it out.

Mike

loco said:
Whatever you do, don't open the gear box up in the house. Don't ask me how I know this.
Oh god, story:

Back when I lived in Cambridge our washing machine started leaking the occasional drop of oil into the tub. I figured I was going to fix it. To make a long story short, I got kind of carried away, borrowed a slide hammer from a local garage, and wound up standing on top of the washer trying to remove the spin shaft by brute force. Eventually I succeeded at the expense of the transmission housing, and had a hell of an oil flood...

The good old days...

johnbryanpeters said:
Oh god, story:

Back when I lived in Cambridge our washing machine started leaking the occasional drop of oil into the tub. I figured I was going to fix it. To make a long story short, I got kind of carried away, borrowed a slide hammer from a local garage, and wound up standing on top of the washer trying to remove the spin shaft by brute force. Eventually I succeeded at the expense of the transmission housing, and had a hell of an oil flood...

The good old days...
and you're the one telling us to fix it ourselves?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When mine did that, it was a switch in the back. I forget what it was called, but it was only about $20 from the parts place in town (they had it in stock) and it took about 15 minutes to swap out.

Also, my local appliance store does repair estimates if you bring it in for $15. If they come get it, it's like $75.

My wife and I bought a used set that was taken in on trade. We paid $250 for the set and it has lasted us 4 years now (minus the switch). The set is from the 60's or something (white and powder blue), looked brand new when we got them and built like tanks!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SkaredShtles said:
Buy a new one.

Donate the old one. Somebody will take it, fix it, and sell it. :thumb:
When we moved into this house, we inherited the previous owners' machine. It was old and broke. We put an ad in the paper and it sold in an hour for $50. :)

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
Oh god, story:

The good old days...

Mine included a 1/4" ratchet and a 7/16" socket. I just loosened things up and poured oil all over the linoleum. I damn near had it on the carpet. :eek: $350 later it was fixed with a new washer.

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
You bet your ass. I want to hear the story.

Really, they are simple to work on if you read the book, and the parts are commonly available. If you fix bikes, you can fix a washing machine.
He's right and there are great sites with all kinds of instructions. I can email you some from my home machine.

MtnBikerChk said:
how do I troubleshoot the problem?
You go buy a book, which is cheap (or look on the web, the info might be there). It will have a troubleshooting flow chart. Follow the chart.

The most likely culprit is the "switch in back" mentioned above. It's a water level sensor switch which should cost maybe twenty bucks. You won't need any tools beyond a set of SAE nut drivers, a phillips-head screwdriver, and a pair of pliers.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
I would rather wear dirty clothes than accept help from loco.
I'm sure you wear dirty clothes any way. Nothing would indicate that you practice hygiene.

loco said:
Reading this, I would guess it is the pump. It states that there are sensors that keep it from spinning while full of water, so that could lend itself to the spinning problem.

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/diy-repair-help_3.html#cl_q1
if the pump filter is clogged, we wouldn't be able to drain it at all, right? He did drain it.

If it's the pump, we're buying a new machine ;)

J

JRB

MtnBikerChk said:
if the pump filter is clogged, we wouldn't be able to drain it at all, right? He did drain it.

If it's the pump, we're buying a new machine ;)
I likely would just buy a machine myself. I learned my lesson about them. I did determine I can pull the dryer apart for cleaning, but wouldn't work on parts, since I am not so good with electricity.

loco said:
I likely would just buy a machine myself. I learned my lesson about them. I did determine I can pull the dryer apart for cleaning, but wouldn't work on parts, since I am not so good with electricity.
we recently pulled the dryer apart to reattach one of the plastic "thingys" for lack of a better term - they move the clothes around. basically, we had to screw it back in from the outside of the drum under the top of the dryer. That was fun but it wasn't electrical.