Quantcast

friggin piece of crap washing machine

J

JRB

MtnBikerChk said:
nope. the 1 of 3 triangular plastic pieces that are actually inside the drum that keep the clothes moving around. The screws must have fallen out so basically I had to climb into the drum and hold it while IAB screwed it back to the drum from the other side.
Ahh - I would call it a paddle, but don't know that. I have never heard of one coming off. I'll be that was a pain in the ass.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
splat said:
Do you hear the motor running ( wirring ), when it was running did it aggitate at all ? We had the same thing happen to ur whirlpool washer. It was the Belt Part was only $15 but it was a pain in the a$$
It did agitate and churn the clothes for a little while, but the machine made absolutely no sound once it stopped. After it stopped, I turned the dial to "rinse" and turned the machine on and I heard something electrical going on behind the dial, but nothing was happening.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
MtnBikerChk said:
but wouldn't it still drain even though it won't spin?

and I just went and played with it - the motor hums on the spin cycle but nothing moves :(
I don't know the exact machine you have but the Whirlpool I had wouldn't drain or spin. The rinse cycle ties the two together and the lid switch interlocks them both. I found the lid switch was broken off it's mount and I unplugged the machine, cut and stripped the wires going to the switch and wire nutted them together and it worked fine.

Just don't stick your arm in while it's spinning (duh!) because it won't stop anymore while the lid is open. In other words you've bypassed a safety interlock.

It still could be other things like the belt is broken or slipping. Both the spin drive and pump run off it but the switch is easy to check first.

Mike

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Appliances are generally pretty easy to fix unless the problem is in the electronics. If it's out of warranty, the best thing I've done to fix is just start taking the damn thing apart. Since it's gunny sacked anyway, you've got nothing to lose and they're pretty easy to figure out once you get the covers off. Washers you have to be a little careful with since they've got some pretty heavy parts inside.
Unfortunately, there are more bad appliances out there than good. If you want to be as close as you can to a one time charge that will likely last 40 years, go Miele.
Any washer that runs on 220 and has it's own water heater is the sh|t.
http://www.miele.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Honestly sounbds like the Lid switch which inhibits draining of water or spinning while the lid is open, or the timer switch is bad. Lid switch is cheap and you can Bypass it to check for sure, timer switch will make you cry on certain models

DirtyMike said:
Honestly sounbds like the Lid switch which inhibits draining of water or spinning while the lid is open, or the timer switch is bad. Lid switch is cheap and you can Bypass it to check for sure, timer switch will make you cry on certain models
I played with the lid last night. I can hear the clicking when the door opens and closes - it sounds like it recognizes the lid being closed.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
splat said:
You broke the Belt! the motor is indepentent of every thing connected byt a Drive Belt.

I doubt you have a belt. You probably have a direct drive coupler. The coupler will just disintegrate one day, and you will hear the motor whirling but nothing happening. I don't remember what the symptoms were when ours died. It was a pretty simple repair.

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
If by this you mean do research online for new ones and make plans to go shopping after work today, then yes.

Good man - I doubt we will get it diagnosed over the Internet.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
MtnBikerChk said:
I played with the lid last night. I can hear the clicking when the door opens and closes - it sounds like it recognizes the lid being closed.
It can still "click" and not make electrical contact. On my Whirlpool once the console was opened (two screws in the back) the wires from the switch came to a connector just above the hole in the center of the top surface of the washer. UNPLUG the washer from the wall outlet first and feel underneath for the switch and wires. Give them a tug to verify they are the ones. Disconnect the connector and put an ohm meter or a continuity tester across the pins in the half going to the switch. Open and close the lid and you should see the reading go from zero (closed) to infinity (open). If it doesn't go to zero then the switch is bad.

If you're not comfortable doing electrical testing and repair you might be better off calling a repair person.

Mike

J

JRB

Front loaders kick ass. Make sure you pry the door open while it's running for the full effect.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I just dropped almost $300 to fix my dryer 3 months ago. I was torn because we're buying new ones once we move into the new house. Oh well, I'm selling these real soon.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
loco said:
Front loaders kick ass. Make sure you pry the door open while it's running for the full effect.
Let me guess, yer Pappy threw yall inside the washer at the local laundra mat, thats why all the Dain Bramage:wonky2: :wonky2: :wonky2:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Brian HCM#1 said:
I just dropped almost $300 to fix my dryer 3 months ago. I was torn because we're buying new ones once we move into the new house. Oh well, I'm selling these real soon.
We're talking about washers, not dryers. Please stay on topic and try not to derail my thread.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I Are Baboon said:
MBC still wants to fix the old one though, just to see if she can. Have fun, wife! I'll be drinking beer. :p
Fix it. Sell it. Drinking beer might make it easier to fix, you know.

You should see how true I can get my wheels when I'm loaded. :D

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
New toy being delivered Saturday. We purchased it last night from Lowe's. For the first time ever, someone at Lowe's was actually HELPFUL. :eek: No interest/no payments for six months. Free delivery and haul away with rebate, although I think MBC still wants to fix and sell the old one (personally, I don't care).

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=162165-46-GHW9150PW&lpage=none

DRB said:
New one. Lowes or HD are bound to have no interest for 12 months and free delivery and haul away.
DRB FTW!

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
I Are Baboon said:
New toy being delivered Saturday. We purchased it last night from Lowe's. For the first time ever, someone at Lowe's was actually HELPFUL. :eek: No interest/no payments for six months. Free delivery and haul away with rebate, although I think MBC still wants to fix and sell the old one (personally, I don't care).

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=162165-46-GHW9150PW&lpage=none

DRB FTW!
Hey MBC & IRB!
edit: (2nd) You likely have a Lowes rebate like this:
http://www.lowespromos.com/PDFs/689-1.pdf

But: Dont forget about your utility rebate! http://www.cl-p.com/clpcommon/pdfs/companyinfo/publications/washer_rebate.pdf

Basically, (for any of you homeowners) dont forget about utility rebates whenever you purchase large energy related upgrades in your home. 2006 is going to be a record year for utility rebate programs for the home owner. Example: I'm replacing my boiler (it works just fine-it's just an energy HOG) and my utility is sending me a check for 500. I'll save 20% on my heating...and a conservative estimate shows that with my heating bill savings, it's be fully paid off in less then 1 year...nice!

CP (forum lurker)

C.P. said:
Hey MBC & IRB!
edit: (2nd) You likely have a Lowes rebate like this:
http://www.lowespromos.com/PDFs/689-1.pdf

But: Dont forget about your utility rebate! http://www.cl-p.com/clpcommon/pdfs/companyinfo/publications/washer_rebate.pdf

Basically, (for any of you homeowners) dont forget about utility rebates whenever you purchase large energy related upgrades in your home. 2006 is going to be a record year for utility rebate programs for the home owner. Example: I'm replacing my boiler (it works just fine-it's just an energy HOG) and my utility is sending me a check for 500. I'll save 20% on my heating...and a conservative estimate shows that with my heating bill savings, it's be fully paid off in less then 1 year...nice!

CP (forum lurker)
THANKS! Lowe's actually gave us the CL&P rebate form!

we don't qualify for the Lowe's rebate because we didn't buy the set :(