Frito-pie slinging triggers brawl

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Frito-pie slinging triggers brawl
By John Sena The New Mexican |
October 6, 2005

A lunchroom fight involving a horde of Capital High School students erupted Wednesday after one student hurled a Frito pie at another student, according to police.

A security guard and student were taken to St. Vincent Regional Medical Center after local and state police went to the school around noon. A rock or bottle struck the security guard in the face during the fracas, and the student was hospitalized as a precautionary measure after police used a stun gun to subdue him, city police reported.

That student, 16-year-old Nick Mendoza, was arrested and charged with one count of battery on a peace officer and one count of resisting arrest, police said. Police say Mendoza assaulted a police officer during the fallout. Four other students were detained by police and later released to their parents, and Deputy Chief Eric Johnson said their cases are being reviewed for possible charges.

Students who witnessed the fight said mayhem ensued when the student struck by the Frito pie became upset, began hitting tables and windows and threatened the pie thrower. Friends of both students got involved in the incident, and it spilled out of the cafeteria to the front of the school’s gym.

At one point, about 200 students gathered, either as participants or observers, Johnson said. The crowd shrunk to about 75 students after it moved outside.

After the incident, the entire school was put on lockdown for the remainder of the afternoon, about three hours. Lockdowns require teachers to lock doors and windows, pull shades, turn off lights and make sure students sit away from doors and windows.

“Our first priority is to make sure the kids are safe,” Superintendent Gloria Rendón said. “If it means having to stay in the same class for a few hours, keeping them safe takes priority.”

Because of their proximity , officials at nearby César Chávez Elementary School and Ortiz Middle School locked down those schools as well. Officials at César Chávez lifted its lockdown shortly after the incident, while Ortiz officials stayed locked down the entire afternoon, Rendón said.

At Capital, about two dozen vehicles were parked outside the school’s gates, as parents and family members waited to hear if any students were injured.

Lisa Ortiz said she went to the school after receiving a phone call from her son, a junior at the school. “He called and said everybody’s fighting and wanting me to come get him because he was scared,” Ortiz said.

School security guards tried to keep parents informed about what was going on inside. Announcements on the school’s public-address system could be heard from the gate, but many parents drew their own conclusions about the incident.

Some worried it was gang related, while others said it might have to do with rocky relations between local and immigrant students. Some parents also mentioned the need for more security at the school.

Johnson said it was unclear if the fight was gang related when it started, but it might have included opposing gangs when it moved outside.

School officials would not comment about any underlying factors, namely the relationship between local and immigrant students, that might have caused Wednesday’s incidents . But Rendón said community issues often make their way into schools.

Capital Principal Darlene Ulibarri continued to interview students after school and referred any questions to the district’s public-information officer.

While waiting for their buses, students talked among themselves about the incident, those who didn’t see it getting details from those who did. A few admitted taking part in the fight, pointing out bruises on their faces.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
..pwn3d!

Oregon woman kicked off flight in Reno over offensive shirt
Oct 5, 2005

A Portland woman's flight home was stopped short in Reno, all because the message on the T-shirt she was wearing.

Lorrie Heasley claims it's a freedom of speech privilege, but airline officials say the message brings safety concerns.

Heasley, "There are bigger problems in the country, I can't believe people can be so petty."

Heasley boarded her flight Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, headed for Portland, Oregon with a stopover in Reno. But when Southwest Airlines employees asked her to cover her shirt, her stop over became a stop off her flight.

"I was told that basically that I had to cover my shirt, or I was told if I cover the shirt I can basically stay on the plane."

So she covered the shirt, but during a nap while passengers were boarding in Reno the cover came off. And Southwest employees insisted, change the shirt, or change flights. "I didn't feel that I should have to change my shirt, because we live in the United States, and it's freedom of speech and it was based on the move "The Fockers", and I didn't think it should have offended anyone."

But it did.

The shirt had pictures of members of the Bush Administration, and a phrase based on the movie "Meet the Fockers," but with one crucial vowel changed.

It was enough to cause complaints from other passengers and it's a problem the airline has had to deal with before.

Beth Harbin, Southwest Airlines, "We do get it occasionally. What someone is wearing, what someone is reading, what someone might be saying and it's very much a judgment call. But when other customers become concerned we do have to become involved in that and see what we can do to make everyone as comfortable as we can."

And while Southwest may have kept the peace on it's afternoon hop to Portland, a woman, not afraid to use her freedom of speech will now be using her freedom of choice.

"I most likely wont be flying Southwest Airlines again after this."

Southwest Airlines told Heasley she could take a different flight home if she changed her shirt. She refused and opted to rent a car and drive home.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Now you never need to stop drinking..
Thu Oct 6, 8:30 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - Fans of non-stop drinking may soon be able to cut down on time wasted ordering refills, thanks to a beer coaster that can tell when a glass is empty.

The coaster, fitted with sensors, measures the weight of the beer and sends a signal behind the bar when it's time for a refill.

Anxious drinkers can also attract the attention of staff by waving the plastic mat, thanks to a motion sensor.

It was invented by students Matthias Hahnen and Robert Doerr for a project at the University of Saarbruecken in southwest Germany.

The device has attracted the attention of beer vendors in North America, including a leading Canadian brewer, according to Michael Schmitz, one of the supervisors of the project.

"They wanted to know if they could use it or make it themselves," he said. "The prototype cost about 84 euros to make one but if mass produced, it could be done for around 10 euros."

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
Now you never need to stop drinking..
Thu Oct 6, 8:30 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - Fans of non-stop drinking may soon be able to cut down on time wasted ordering refills, thanks to a beer coaster that can tell when a glass is empty.

The coaster, fitted with sensors, measures the weight of the beer and sends a signal behind the bar when it's time for a refill.

Anxious drinkers can also attract the attention of staff by waving the plastic mat, thanks to a motion sensor.

It was invented by students Matthias Hahnen and Robert Doerr for a project at the University of Saarbruecken in southwest Germany.

The device has attracted the attention of beer vendors in North America, including a leading Canadian brewer, according to Michael Schmitz, one of the supervisors of the project.

"They wanted to know if they could use it or make it themselves," he said. "The prototype cost about 84 euros to make one but if mass produced, it could be done for around 10 euros."
Thats friggan dumb, everybody knows you need a set of boobs to get a beer quickly.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Hey, news from home!

I'm not suprised given that it's Capitol High.

I can't believe you noobs have never heard of a frito pie.

hmm. now i want one... :drool:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
LOOnatic said:
A staple of white trash.
Okay really its a smattering of frito chips covered with chilli and cheese and onions.
Real men pour the chilli into a bag of fritos and top with cheese.
How do i know this?
I lived in Texas for a few years as a kid.

Seriously its not bad when camping or heavy drinking.
Damn, that sounds good. I could go for a good bowl of chili.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
LOOnatic said:
A staple of white trash.
Okay really its a smattering of frito chips covered with chilli and cheese and onions.
Real men pour the chilli into a bag of fritos and top with cheese.
How do i know this?
I lived in Texas for a few years as a kid.

Seriously its not bad when camping or heavy drinking.
Betcha woulda liked one while we waited for our BBQ in Pisgah

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
WHAT IS A FRITO PIE????? WHAT IS A FRITO PIE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I can't believe you guys haven't heard of frito pies. you are definitely missing out. i lived of frito pies for a couple of months long long ago. mmmmmmmm frito pie.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
We used to call them "Dirt Track Pies" because we would go to the dirt track races on Saturday nights and that was our dinner. Washed down with an ice cold can of PBR. Those were the days.