Quantcast

from the rumor mill re: Chris King

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm, i'm sky high

carlos said:
if you're thinking about buying any Chris King Components, do it before the end of March.

as of February 1st, 2006, there was another price increase (the 4th since their move to Portland from California) on most of the hubs and headsets.

i just ordered a few things today.........and the Single Speed, Classic, and ISO rear hubs have gone up another $50 and are slated to go up another $50 in April.

with with the prices of just the rear Classic, rear Single Speed, and rear ISO, at or above $400 on-line....it doesn't look like it's be possible to get a hubset for under $600 anytime soon, as the front hubs are approaching $200.

while it might sound odd, to hear me say that i'm not posting this to make some sales on King products....i was just stunned enough at the prices on the dealer's list, that i thought i'd mention it to anyone thinking about getting some King stuff....regardless of where it's purchased.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Smelly said:
No, actually, it's not the alternative. Chris King doesn't make hubs for Huffy's. There's plenty of sweatshop labor in Asia. There's also plenty of very legitimite product producing places that pay fairly and have safe working conditions. High end stuff isn't made in sweatshops.
That's a very convenient opinion to have. I was actually joking about it with an old friend who works for a major bike company which gets all their bikes from China and Taiwan. He "assured" me that all his bikes are made in well-kept factories assembled by happy workers.

Where do the ball bearings in your headset come from ? Who sewed the cover of your saddle? How about the tires?

All I know is if you don't use companies like Chris King or Phil Wood, you cannot be certain where your stuff comes from.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
the Inbred said:
$389 for a rear hub? damn.
Yes, but you get that Phil Wood black magic. And they (Phil Wood) will sacrifice a chicken before your race for you.

Though to be honest I have ever only seen Phil Wood hubs in person once, on a BMX bike. Sweet lookin hubs. Has anyone here ever used their MTB hubs?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ciaran said:
Yes, but you get that Phil Wood black magic. And they'll (Phil Wood) will sacrifice a chicken before your race for you.

Though to be honest I have ever only seen Phil Wood hubs in person once, on a BMX bike. Sweet lookin hubs. Has anyone here ever used their MTB hubs?
The owner of my shop swears by Phil Wood. I do know this: he bought from Phil Wood 10 replacement bearing kits for XTR BB's during Interbike, and he sold thru them all already.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Ciaran said:
Yes, but you get that Phil Wood black magic. And they'll (Phil Wood) will sacrifice a chicken before your race for you.

Those are the hot hubs around here. Everyone and their cousin has a set of those laced to Velocity Deep V's.

They're huge on the fix-gear scene. HUGE.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
before that post, i had no idea they even made cassette hubs. or maybe i did, and i just never looked at them. i think they only time i would run Phil's is on a SS road bike/ fixed gear.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
the Inbred said:
before that post, i had no idea they even made cassette hubs. or maybe i did, and i just never looked at them. i think they only time i would run Phil's is on a SS road bike/ fixed gear.
Oh man, I had no idea either. I knew they made square taper BBs but that was it...

What does this mean in terms of fast?
"freehub body has 4 sets of double-row pawls engaging a 20 tooth ratchet"

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Tame Ape said:
Oh man, I had no idea either. I knew they made square taper BBs but that was it...

What does this mean in terms of fast?
"freehub body has 4 sets of double-row pawls engaging a 20 tooth ratchet"
fast engagement from freewheel to pedal.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
sanjuro said:
fast engagement from freewheel to pedal.

Not weight weenie, but that thing better engage instantly for the weight! Its an easy 512 grams! What an anchor!:oink:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
King is kind of taking the whole responsible company thing a bit far.
Remember that article in Bike a few years ago where they touted all of their enviro-friendly machine shop practices.
The best was the part about turning their chips into "pucks" to be recycled and recycling their used oil. Big fricken deal. Every machine shop recycles their ships any oil. They get paid for it.
King hubs are sweet, but for the money, a Hadley or Hope is a way better deal.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
The chris king hubs don't even make sense. They are rediculously over priced as it is. Hadley's are at least equal in quality, cost less, and can be made to fit any axle set up around.