Quantcast

Front Brake Rubbing

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
Having a problem on my 2007 Kona Coiler. The front brake seems to rub a bit. It isn't slowing me down yet, but every time I'm landing jumps, railing berms, or just going at high speed, it gets worse. Is it the wheel?

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
I bled it two weeks ago and put avid pads on it, the fork is a marzochii drop off 4, and i think the pad and rotor are rubbing, the brake is a shimano deore

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, with shimano brakes you need to push in the caliper piston with a box end wrench when replacing pads, otherwise they'll be too close to the rotor and can rub

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
i took it to a reputable bike shop when i had the brake serviced and they said it was fine. correction, pads are shimano

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
its rubbing during those times due to flex. possibly caused by the q/r.

the solution is to slow the hell down and ride like a responsible member of society.

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
its rubbing during those times due to flex. possibly caused by the q/r.

the solution is to slow the hell down and ride like a responsible member of society.
that was not what i needed, i need friggin tech help

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
that is tech help.
the reason it only happens when " landing jumps, railing berms ..."is due to the wheel flexing. address the flex and see if it solves the problem. dents in your rim are not the problem. what fork do you have on this bike?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
you could try replacing the quick release with a thru-bolt, if the hub allows.

if not you might have to learn to deal with the flex/rubbing until you upgrade.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it has some dents on the rim, and i just had it trued when i got the brake servied
the condition of the rim isn't going to affect the rotor rubbing. the most likely culprit is the flex / deflection inherent in a QR fork. you can try manually fine tuning the alignment of the caliper over the rotor, but that will only get you so far.

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
what wheel should i upgrade to, dont care about weight, not aluminum, and bombproof. around 150-175 us dollard

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
if your fork is a q/r ... you can only run a q/r wheel.

what is the existing hub? you may be able to convert it to a bolt-on axle which may fit into the existing dropouts.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
One other point- I've found that the bigger the rotor, the more the rubbing due to flex in axle/fork/frame etc is noticeable.
Also, with shimano you should have a bit of leeway when adjusting so it doesn't rub the rotor. Experiment with offsetting slightly to each side. (Or center if it's already offset to a side) Sometimes that can be enough to stop it from rubbing when flexed.

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
the rotor is 160mm and i think the left side of the rotor is rubbing, how would you adjust it

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
And there's always dousing the whole works motor oil. That really quiets things down.

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
can you give me a site that isnt very popular, because the school blocks youtube vimeo and all other video sites