Quantcast

Front Brakes

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Why do so many DJ bikes and Urban bikes come without front brakes...seems kinda silly to me....because wouldnt you always just end up sliding on your back wheel and wasting away your tire.... and you cant do front brake endos either....seems rather silly, just hoping for an explanation...
PS: i do realise that it allows for bar spins but there are headsets designed for them so you can run a front brake arent there?

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
It all comes down to money. If you aren't going to use it much, and could put that money somewhere else, then it's a good idea. When I built up my Steelhead, I decided to take the money that would go into a front lever, cable, and Avid disc, and spend it to get better cranks and rims.
If you're confused about why I might not use it much, here's my best explanation. On trails (XC, not BMX dirt jump slang), I need two brakes because I need to struggle for every last bit of braking traction. When I ride urban, I've got enough stopping power with a single brake because pavement is consistent and good for braking. When I make my pitiful attempts at dirt jumping, I also find that one brake is plenty.

Front brakes are not stupid for DJ/urban bikes and if you want one, you should get one. If you like having it, drop the cash and get one. I actually put one of those hollow star-nuts on my Steelhead because I may decide I want a front brake.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
also weight and more stuff to break. this season i will be running a front brake for nose pics and stuff like that that are impossible due to the reverse arch on my sherman ( and yes i have tried doing a half bar spin before and foot planting on the front side if that makes sense but it looks uber queer). i think that if your just starting you shouldnt run a front brake- makes you rely on brakes to much for speed and control over jumps. hell i wish i had ridden brakeless for a few years (sold all my old hayes stuff/still selling a bunch if anyones interested and have been riding my street bike brakeless and its a f'n blast)

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
coming from a bmx background, running a rear brake only is pretty normal too me. Also i like my handlebars to be as uncluttered as possible. No front deralluir or front brakes and it makes everything simpler.

granted my mountain bike is an all around do everything bike and i run front brakes. If my steed was strictly dirtjump/street riding i would probably run no front brakes. more simple= less bike trouble.

also as far as running the rear tire down; i like to ride with smoothness and grace, therefore i can prevent sitautions where my only alternative is skidding my tire.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
i rode without a rear brake for a long time, and you really don't need it unless you are riding on steep trails. (MTB trails) For dirt jumps and Urban, its not essential at all. I too feel that riding for several months without a front brake increased my skill level, and smoothness a great deal.
reasons for no front brake
simpler
cheaper
less to brake
easier to set up bike for bar spins
not riding anything but street and DJ's
bike weighs less