Quantcast

Front Deraileur not downshifting correctly?

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
I tend to start downshifting at the bottom of a climb, and all I get is clicks and no shifting even though the the wheel is on the biggest cog, the front derailleur wont shift. My friend said it's because it's under torque, so I tried shifting before I got to the hill when it was flat, but it still didn't work when I pedalled fast.

Is this due to derailleur adjustment, or is it just when/how I'm shifting, such as rear gear, crank speed, etc.?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Sounds like derailleur adjustment -- the derailleur isn't moving far enough to the inside. Adjust the L screw to move it more to the inside.

When you shift down in the front it is the derailleur spring that makes it shift. Up is the cable pulling.

Torque usually makes it mishift; chain falls to the inside of the chainrings.

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
It took me a while, but adjusting the two screws on top (assuming those are the ones you meant) helped quite a bit. My rear derailleur on the hand is another story.

I didn't realize there was a technical forum until after I made this thread, I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post questions such as this.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
RideFour15 said:
It took me a while, but adjusting the two screws on top (assuming those are the ones you meant) helped quite a bit.
The L moves the deraileur limit to the inside. Make sure to shift to the smallest ring before using so you can see how much it is moving.

The H adjusts the derailleur limit to the outside(big ring).

here's a good resource --> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

Shimano instuctions --> Front derailleur

Rear