Quantcast

Front derailleur on a Bottlerocket?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Anybody doing it? How did you do it?

I put a front derailleur on my bottlerocket. I had to do quite a bit of dremel work on the derailleur so that it didn't smack the chainstay yoke during travel. It still isn't quite right. I may have to hack a little more off to get things nice and happy.

I was just wondering if anybody else ran into this problem and what your solution was. Thanks.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
i remember it was a real hassle getting my front der. set up right but i didnt need to make any mod's. im running a Sram x-9 der with dual ring saint cranks and E-13 drs chain guide, shifts and it work like a charm. everything has to be perfect though for it all to function, it was the hardest part of my build. i remember talking to the guys at transition, and the X-9 was the only one they were recommending at the time for the B.Rocket. what kind of front der. are you using?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
What size chain rings are you using? Specifically the small ring.

It's an '05 or so X-gen SRAM. There is a lip on the back that I had to grind off flat. Even with that, the chain still rubs a little on the inside of the derailleur on the largest 2 cogs / small ring combo. There's just no adjustment left without the derailleur hitting the chainstay yolk. More annoying than anything else.

I also have difficulties getting the derailleur low enough on the frame so that the chain doesn't ride up on the cross piece connecting the inner and outer plates of the derailleur when in the smallest 2 or 3 cogs and small ring. I think I can grind a little more off and make that work alright though. If I went to a 24 instead of 22 tooth ring, that would help as well (but that's not what I want to do).

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
remember the suspesion will sag when your on your bike and it won't rub like it does now.
Ah! I did not think of that. Good point.

The bike seems fine when I'm riding it. No problems shifting. It even pedals pretty good for what it is (I was kind of surprised) and it rails DH. I love it.

Anybody know what size the shock bushing on the link is? It needs to be replaced. I'm running a DHX air if that helps.

Thanks!

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I've an X9 on mine, though you can run any high-clamp setup ok.

Just had to set it up high enough that the swingarm didn't smoke it on bottom out. No problem.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
I have run a xt top swing and an x.9 high mount on my bottlerocket both have run fine. I run a 22 grany with a 36t mid. has worked fine for the last year no mods to the derailure at all.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
transition website has shock mounting info, though I belive it is 22mm for the hardware at both ends.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The hardware is 22x8 both ends.

I've had both an LX and an XTR top swing front derailleur on mine. No mods to either, and they both worked fine. The chain rubs a bit on the cross piece in the stand, but is OK sagged, unless you're in a really bad crossover gear.