Quantcast

Front derailleure on a Demo 7- can it be done?

Jman

Chimp
Dec 9, 2006
Heya,
Any of you Demo7 monkeys out there ever built a front derailleure on it? I can't get the local dealer to tell me whether or not it can be done.
If you done it, which ft derailleure system did you use?

Cheers

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
The bike posted above is mine.

Regular bottom pull XT derailleur.

Worked just as well as any other front derailleur setup I've had. The only problem is that the cable would hang down quite a ways as a result of the travel. Since the derailleur is mounted on the linkage, it rotates up around the bb, pulling the cable. When you return to your sagged travel, there is excess cable hanging under the BB. It never got caught on anything, but I wonder if it would have sooner or later.

I've since taken it off because I can hike up anything I ride just as fast if not faster than I could pedal up it in the small gear. And I enjoy the scenery more when I hike.

Yeah that was a blackspire stinger. With that and the derailleur I never dropped the chain.

Hope this helps.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
haha yeah, it must have been a slow day on pinkbike, knowledgable people coming out of the woodwork.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
My local Specialized dealer gave me some bad info... sorry to propogate this. :disgust1:

Curious that Specialized does not disclose this hidden feature "FD compatibility" on their product pages for those that want to have a 40 pound epic trail bike.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
I find this odd too.

Especially since they took the time to put a cable guide on there. So they definitely thought it out and made it to be used with one if desired.

My Large D7 frame weighed in at almost exactly 11.5 lbs with a DHX and steel spring.

The only problem for the D7 being an epic trail bike is the interrupted seatpost. You can only raise it like 3". If your post is short enough for real steep stuff it surely will not be long enough to climb with. Telescoping seatpost is an option but quite heavy. Oh and they don't pedal.

The longer I've had mine the more I've come to realize it really was designed for lift/shuttle assisted freeride/dh riding.

Luckily for me this works fine because I'm evolving into only really liking riding like that.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Just a quick note: a front der. can also be run on the new demo 8's.
The only thing it lacks are cable guides on the downtube. mine works great with a deore front mech, and a stinger chain tensioner with a 22-36 combo. Never lose my chain and i have the option to pedal up if I choose!

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
The only problem for the D7 being an epic trail bike is the interrupted seatpost. You can only raise it like 3". If your post is short enough for real steep stuff it surely will not be long enough to climb with. Telescoping seatpost is an option but quite heavy. Oh and they don't pedal.
I'll second that...cut my post down enough to really slam it and I don't have enough left to get proper extension. I can still pedal it, but it's not exactly good for my knees. I've considered getting another post w/ a different saddle that I can cut longer and just swap them out depending on the type of ride I'm doing.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
I'll second that...cut my post down enough to really slam it and I don't have enough left to get proper extension. I can still pedal it, but it's not exactly good for my knees. I've considered getting another post w/ a different saddle that I can cut longer and just swap them out depending on the type of ride I'm doing.
Thats what I did.:monkeydance: