Quantcast

Front end shake

irish4life83

Chimp
Jun 26, 2013
I have a Diamondback response that I just use to get back and forth to work, and am kind of new to the whole bicycle mechanics stuff so dont beat me up too bad. When I apply the brakes the front end of my bike seems to move back and forth a bit. it feels like its from the stem or something on top. any help?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Sounds like your headset/stem combo is loose. Proceed like this:

1. Loosen the stem bolts which fix it to the fork's steerer.
2. Tighten the top bolt (the one in the center of the stem cap). This will preload the headset. Move the handlebar from side to side to verify you didn't over-tighten it.
3. Align the stem to the front wheel.
4. Tighten the stem bolts you loosened in Step 1.
5. Enjoy!

irish4life83

Chimp
Jun 26, 2013
Sounds like your headset/stem combo is loose. Proceed like this:

1. Loosen the stem bolts which fix it to the fork's steerer.
2. Tighten the top bolt (the one in the center of the stem cap). This will preload the headset. Move the handlebar from side to side to verify you didn't over-tighten it.
3. Align the stem to the front wheel.
4. Tighten the stem bolts you loosened in Step 1.
5. Enjoy!
Awesome. I am going to go do that right now! From the reading I have been doing that is kind of what I figured it would be. Thanks again!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'll add that if you have any doubt or questions, just head to your local bike shop and ask for some help.

I only say that after your own admission of being "new to the whole bicycle mechanics stuff", and that a loose headset could be a pretty dangerous problem. You'll learn how to wrench and maintain your bike in time.