Quantcast

front flips...

schrammride

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
wellington ohio
dude, has anyone noticed that all of a sudden front flips are gay??
now that everyone is doing them as contest ''bangers'' they suck...and its like when one guy learns them it seems like his arch ''nemisis'' learns them also and the battle ensues..come on people. and another thing, why r these announcers making some of these riders seem like the ''bad'' guy or the ''villian'' and then they always have the select few that do the interviews and the sob stories...all i wanna see is riding, if i want to hear somebody telling their life story ill turn on the biography channel...im not pissed off im just bored haha

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
bmx has turned cut throat. Tis why i enjoy the mtn bike dj scene. everyone is stoked on just being out and riding. while the bmx scene has turned corporate and money grubbin. The riders all think theyre the pimp **** and that everyone else blows their nuts.

that said. front flips have got to be one of the harder tricks out there. Last i can remember it was only matt beringer who was pulling them. Whos got em now?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i agree they look ugly as hell. and no im not saying this b/c i cant do this its b/c they look like crap.i totally disagree with everything else you say though

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
Although Front flips may not look normal I still think that becasue they dont look normal they are awesome. Maybe its just me but I think its real cool when a trick doesnt look quite right.

schrammride

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
wellington ohio
boostindoubles said:
bmx has turned cut throat. Tis why i enjoy the mtn bike dj scene. everyone is stoked on just being out and riding. while the bmx scene has turned corporate and money grubbin. The riders all think theyre the pimp **** and that everyone else blows their nuts.QUOTE]

id have to agree on that....i simply watch those contests as a source of motivation haha and boredumb

boostindoubles said:
bmx has turned cut throat. Tis why i enjoy the mtn bike dj scene. everyone is stoked on just being out and riding. while the bmx scene has turned corporate and money grubbin. The riders all think theyre the pimp **** and that everyone else blows their nuts.

that said. front flips have got to be one of the harder tricks out there. Last i can remember it was only matt beringer who was pulling them. Whos got em now?
First,
BMX itself has NOT turned "cut-throat, money grubbin" or anything else. Nor do the riders "think theyre the pimp ****" (sic).

Television, and television alone is creating, refineing and personifying these ideals/images.
Television has ALWAYS been cut-throat and money grubbin.
The whole point of villifying one athelete and idealizing another is for branding and consumer targetting.
And it works.
Atheletes who understand this can be very successful in marketing themselves and in turn do quite well financially because of it.

If you get the opportunity to spend any time with these atheletes (BMX pros) you will find that in fact there is a great sense of community among most of them. That happens because they all share common ground in what they do for a living, what they love to do, and what it is like to be in each others shoes.
They feel the pain of loss when someone in this community is hurt, injured or lost, and feel elation when someone succeeds.

As for front flips... they are techically extremely difficult, and no matter what are still remain the current highmark in trick innovation.
Bohan and Parslow have them down solid, with variations already.
BUT... when it comes to a "rider judged best trick" event.. almost nobody does them...
Then it is still backflip or tailwhip variations that rule.

Luke Parslow, superman flipwhip, Redbull Elevation 2005

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
ok, my original post in this thread is pretty stupid. BUT, i do see alot of kids getting into BMX because of TV and only giving respect to tricks and style... but not riding style. like sponsorship style and other things that are inherently gay. I dont doubt that alot of pro's are still with it as far as having a community and showing respect for each other. I mean most of the older pro's out there have been riding together since before bmx was an 'in' thing and were friends when it was all about just riding and having fun. Once in awhile i'll pick up a ridebmx and i cant find anything worthy of my time. Its like a magazine of advertisments. I used to read everyone of those mags back in the day, before 1999. Then it started changing and i wasnt so into it. But whatever. I can see your point shootr, and i am but a kid who grew up watching the bmx scene and then stopped cause i saw too much outside influence pushing it in wierd ways to squeeze money out of kids.

I;ve never even heard of Bohan or Parslow, which leaves me embarrased about making comments on the state of the bmx scene.

peace

Boostin...
That is the sad state of pretty much everything.
Consumerism.
Train children to consume, they will continue to do so for the rest of their lives.
Develop in children ideals of caste based upon appearances and you will be able to sell them on whatever you dress their mentors/idols/icons in.

Individuality is dead... hell even being antisocial has become the social norm.
Its all cliche now.

However.. no matter how far something grows from it's roots.... the roots are still present, deep underground, feeding and supporting it.
In thousands of kids hearts who only want to nail that trick just so they CAN the roots of BMX will remain.

i believe that bmx lives in the kids just trying to throw down and have fun. the whole underground movement, i think is where bmx really is, not in the big sponsors. like the kids in building the underground, only one of them was sponsored, thats were i think bmx should go.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
shootr said:
Boostin...
That is the sad state of pretty much everything.
Consumerism.
Train children to consume, they will continue to do so for the rest of their lives.
Develop in children ideals of caste based upon appearances and you will be able to sell them on whatever you dress their mentors/idols/icons in.

Individuality is dead... hell even being antisocial has become the social norm.
Its all cliche now.

However.. no matter how far something grows from it's roots.... the roots are still present, deep underground, feeding and supporting it.
In thousands of kids hearts who only want to nail that trick just so they CAN the roots of BMX will remain.

Self Reliance by Ralph Waldo Emmerson, anyone evr heard of it

all about individuality and consumerism, that whats we had to read for english last night which is y this is kinda a weird circumstance...

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Personally, I think that some of the front flips look really BAD. Basically, the ones where someone uses a front brake to help with the rotation are pretty lame.

However, the new style of front flips (done mainly by Bohan and other Aussies) look pretty good. They look like late flips, they get in the air and then start their front rotation...

My opinion, I like them. It's really just progression, and I like to see riders doing different tricks. Do I think they will be around forever--probably not. It does seem kind of like a "flavor of the month" trick, but they're cool--nonetheless...

You can't do a front flip by pulling the brake..
This DOES NOT initiate or help a rotation..
It would IF front flips were done rotating around the front wheel of the bike.. however.. since your mass is FAR greater than the bikes mass, the rotation occurs around an axis very far away from the front wheel. The actual axis is somewhere in the plane of your chest/shoulders.
Pulling the front brake WILL cause the inertia in it to be transfered to the frame.. causing the front wheel to move away from you.. in a straight jump plane of reference, moving downwards...
What this does to your flip is to slow the rotation down dramatically as the velocity is maintained at the circumfrence of the rotation..
(think figure skater spinning with hands out and then bringing hands in how rotation suddenly seems to pick up massive speed.)

Sep 10, 2001
Well, I don't see any of the guys sticking front flips running front brakes...

Scotty Cramner has turndown and no handed fronts...

To see how high and slow the guys are throwing fronts is crazy... And to hit them midpack too... And think about how you come into that landing... You can't spot it like you do a backflip....

Progression.... It comes in many shapes and forms...

Brian

PNJ...

So... that is a pretty bold statement to say that I am "100% wrong".
Can I ask what experience/information led you to that conclusion?

Of note here is that I have had the good fortune of witnessing this trick being performed numerous times personally, as well as discussing this trick at length with both Luke Parslow, and Corey Bohan... Also I have been party to a demonstration by an individual who (as of yet I will leave unnamed) was attempting to use braking as a technique in doing a front flip variation.... which had disastrous results each and every time.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
todays riders don't use front brakes for front flips, thanks to foam pits.
but we've seen riders in the past pulling front flips w/ front brakes....they were squirrely and goofy looking but they rode away on both wheels...

so I think saying front brakes don't help at all is an incorrect statement.

I still dissagree with that PNJ..
my statement was that front brakes don't help.
I stand by the fact that they still don't help.. it matters not whether people attempted or even did front flips while pulling the front brake, doing so still slows the rotation of the flip, and pulls the bike away from the rider decreasing the amount of control over the flip.. both of these things DO NOT AIDE the flip.. the hamper it...

The reason that people have ditched the use of brakes in front flips is the simple fact that they don't help it....
If they did help it it would be very common to see people flipping with a locked front wheel. Just because someone tries a technique in the learning phase of something doesn't mean that the technique is sound or beneficial. Just like when alot of people start doing 360s they tend to try to carve on an angle off the lip.. even though they still may spin fully around or partway around.. they later learn as they progress that carving on an angle on the lip actually makes it more difficult to spin because it tries to set the hip up as the center of rotation.. yes.. you can still rotate that way.. but it is markedly harder to control the speed and trajectory....
These mental crutches which we sometimes employ are counter-productive.

So I still stand by my statements:
"You can't do a front flip by pulling the brake..
This DOES NOT initiate or help a rotation.. "
I find both of them to be VERY accurate.. because I am sure you will not try to contest the notion that a person CAN flip simply by pulling the front brake (in the air.. not argueing the point when the wheel is in contact with a surface)
And I would still like to see anyone prove to me the contrary that it initiates or helps a rotation (once again.. in the air)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Shooter, he's talking about grabbing the brakes at the lip of a jump and essentially doing an endo in the air. Of course it doesn't help midair, but that wasn't his point.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
shootr said:
Bicyclist....
I suggest you try that sometime.. and see the result... I would in fact like to see ANYONE do a front flip over a set of doubles by pulling the front brake at the lip.

Schrammride.
Not anymore.
There are plenty of videos of people doing exactly that...