Quantcast

Front fork Q

Oct 11, 2010
Found an eastern Nighttrain im going to look at on friday for $450, only issue is that is has an RST space jump fork on it. All the reviews Ive seen bag on RST but im not sure which forks are the bad ones, all of them? And the reviews are all from 08.

Are the newer RST space jump forks better than the old ones? if you could give me a range of years to avoid, itd help alot.

I passed up the last bike I saw because it had an RST space jump fork on it.

lemme know what you guys think.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Ridden a space, they are pretty stiff forks stock. I liked mine a lot, if I hadn't fallen in love with Argyles, I'd be riding one. Not the lightest things around though. 450 is a steal if its all in good condish.

Oct 11, 2010
Ridden a space, they are pretty stiff forks stock. I liked mine a lot, if I hadn't fallen in love with Argyles, I'd be riding one. Not the lightest things around though. 450 is a steal if its all in good condish.
from the pictures it looks pretty clean. kinda kicking myself for letting the thunderbird get away, it was an 09 so pretty much new.

I would much rather get an Argyle, but they are expensive and this is my first DJ. I just dont wanna land on my face when the fork snaps at the crown.... All the reviews on RST are HORRIBLE. :( if it was a DJ1 or DJ2 I would be all over it. I know the DJ1 and 2 arent the best, i heard they have been going down hill the past couple years, but I havent heard of them breaking in half lol.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
from the pictures it looks pretty clean. kinda kicking myself for letting the thunderbird get away, it was an 09 so pretty much new.

I would much rather get an Argyle, but they are expensive and this is my first DJ. I just dont wanna land on my face when the fork snaps at the crown.... All the reviews on RST are HORRIBLE. :( if it was a DJ1 or DJ2 I would be all over it. I know the DJ1 and 2 arent the best, i heard they have been going down hill the past couple years, but I havent heard of them breaking in half lol.
All of the reviews for the Space are purely from the name, not the fork. RST is just like X Fusion, they make very low end suspension and have several really great products. I have only seen one broken Space, and I have seen hundreds of broken marzocchi's, and even more broken manitous. I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Oct 11, 2010
All of the reviews for the Space are purely from the name, not the fork. RST is just like X Fusion, they make very low end suspension and have several really great products. I have only seen one broken Space, and I have seen hundreds of broken marzocchi's, and even more broken manitous. I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
ok, well i will still go check it out then. thanks man!

Oct 11, 2010
damn ok. well basically my options are this, either buy the eastern night train for about $450 with the crappy fork. or sell some parts and get a brand new spec P.2 for like $600 (friend and would be returning a few parts i didnt use for store credit)

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Idk, I have seen people rock older Rockshox Judy XC's for several years before they finally break. I also know that no amount of reviews can beat a trying things and making your own assumption. For example, I read tons of reviews about Intense Micro Knobbies that said they will blow off your rim at high pressure. I have been running mine at 80psi for nearly a year now, and I have yet to have them blow off the rim.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Doesn't mean they don't blow of other rims. Cuz I've seen that shlt happen :D

Yeah you can probably ride the thing for a while and maybe it breaks and maybe it doesn't. But a fork is like a handlebar. It's one of the those things that if it fails, there's a really good chance of you getting seriously injured. Therefore it's one of the pieces of equipment I simply won't compromise on. And I know of plenty of those RST forks that have snapped in two in situations where other forks wouldn't have. Think compressions between jumps. That's gnarly.

If it were me, I'd get rid of it. That's all there is to it. I'm not anybody's mother, I'm just stating my opinion.

Oct 11, 2010
Do this.

You will probably have some kind of warranty and you will know the parts haven't been beaten to sh1t.
k. i still wanna check out the eastern. i like the geometry on it more than the P2 because its gotta the shorter chainstay. P2 has a 15.3" (if i remember correctly) and the night train has a 14.7" CS. and im a short guy, 5'6" so all the help i can get from the geometry will help.

ill most likely be in the $600 range upgrading forks anyways.

Oct 11, 2010
looked at the bike today. front fork was all sloppy, might have just been low on air, but didnt feel smooth through the entire travel.

it was an eastern night train with 24's, rode well, wish it was in better condition. had been left outside, lots of rust on most of the parts, everything black was faded. not worth 450 bones....mabe 250-300...but not 450.