Quantcast

front IS adapter hitting rotor?!?

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I swapped the rotor from my Funn front wheel to a new Mavic EX325 (WTB LaserDisc Super Duty). I had never swapped a rotor before but read about it and put it on exactly as the Funn was. I put the washers between the rotor and the hub and torqued it down. For some reason the rotor is contacting the IS adapter. I don't know why it would be any different but it is. I used a file to shave off some of the adapter where it was rubbing but I can't seem to shave off enough.

The only thing I can think of is to put the washers between the rotor and the screws. It might still hit the screws but if it doesn't will it be okay to have them like that? Could I leave out the washers all together?

If it matters its on my 04 Super T Pro.

Thanks,
--Taylor

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Your new wheel sounds like it does not have the same exact offset as your old wheel.

No biggie, just space it correctly for the new wheel. Just approach it like the old disk was never on a hub and start the alignment process. Good luck!

Rhino

BTW- I have never put washers between my rotor and my hub. :think:

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
what fork and brake are u using.

my sherman and mono 6 had that problem one day of dh will solve it

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Never had washers on the rotors at all? Not between the bub and rotor or between the rotor and screw heads??? Can't say I've ever seen anyone with washers doing anything with the rotors.
With Hope calipers I had to adjust it off of the adapter with micro washers.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
weird, RM's notification must be messed up, I didn't get any emails about replies.

It's an 04 Super T Pro with Hayes HFX 9's and the EX325 laced to a WTB LaserDisc Super Duty TA. The old wheel was from a Funn wheelset, also TA. The weird part was I had just bought the new Hayes IS adapter since I didn't have one for TA so i freaked me out when the new wheel didn't fit right.

I'm going to try removing the washers, my buddy also said he's never used them. I think that should give me the space needed.

Do you guys use a torque wrench to but the rotor bolts on? I just did it by feel and, like the mechanic in Fundamentals, I just 'nipped it up.'

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I actually use a torque wrench these days just because I have one. But I never had a problem with the rotor bolts coming loose back in the days before I used a torque wrench. Probably best to err on the side of "too tight" though :dead:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
No torque wrench really needed for rotor bolts, just a dab of blue loctite and tighten it up.

I've never had to use washers with Hayes I don't think and I've used a bunch of different wheels. The movement in the Hayes mount seems to cover 95% of hub/fork combos. Hubs are different though and have small differences in size. I always have to recenter after switching wheels on a Hayes or reshim after switching on Hopes.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
fiddy_ryder said:
you dont need to stinkin torque wrench! :D and no washers!

any riding this weekend? hopefully my wheel will make it by tomo :mumble:
Looks like it. I was supposed to be out of town but it looks like I'm here now. I'll let you know if anything worthwhile comes up, at the very least we'll do a Whoops run. Redical's got the new Soul 4X prototype so I want to check it out.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
tgreathead said:
Looks like it. I was supposed to be out of town but it looks like I'm here now. I'll let you know if anything worthwhile comes up, at the very least we'll do a Whoops run. Redical's got the new Soul 4X prototype so I want to check it out.

im tryin to get there sat morning/afternoon... put in few hrs with riding and building.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Pulled the washers off, worked like a charm. I used my new Craftsman torque wrench to put the bolts back on, I was amazed how little torque was needed to tighten them properly. Add a little loctite in the mix and they're good to go :)

J

JRB

Echo said:
I actually use a torque wrench these days just because I have one. But I never had a problem with the rotor bolts coming loose back in the days before I used a torque wrench. Probably best to err on the side of "too tight" though :dead:
Too tight can mean broken. I would rather worry about too loose, however, that is not an issue. Much harder to remove twisted off bolts than to tighten bolts. Blue loctite is all you nee though. I own a torque wrench, but didn't use it when I put my new wheels on tonight.