Quantcast

Front mech, roadie gears, shifters...

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
So, now I'm working on a commuting bike. It's an old school mountain frame. I want to run a rear mountain bike cassette and mech, but I want to a road triple crankset up front. The question of the day is, will a mountain mech shift roadie rings? If not, will mountain shifters work with a road mech? Can anybody shed any light on this? Thanks!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The "compatibility" of a front derailleur is how big of a difference you can have between the biggest and smallest chainring. Generally the higher you go up in price, the bigger range it can handle. Shimano's website used to have the specs, dunno if they do anymore.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Make sure the cranks fit since road cranks are offset to the inside. I couldn't get road cranks to work on my crossbike because the rings would hit the chainstays, and I imagine it would be worse with a mountain bike.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Well, thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll have to be a bit more careful about what I buy than I'd like. Anyway, another question...this old school frame runs the cables under the BB shell. It looks like there should be some sort of cable guide down there. Is this something that can be purchased? If so, where? Is there a better solution?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
ghostrider said:
Well, thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll have to be a bit more careful about what I buy than I'd like. Anyway, another question...this old school frame runs the cables under the BB shell. It looks like there should be some sort of cable guide down there. Is this something that can be purchased? If so, where? Is there a better solution?
Any shop should be able to get you one if they don't have one laying around.

http://shop.hammerheadbikes.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=37&SKU=FS1092