Quantcast

Front Range for somebody from Illinois

sgrady11

Chimp
Aug 12, 2007
Okay guys here is my situation. I live in Chicago, and ride all over Illinois, Indiana, Wisc, etc. I roll a SS 29er.

My buddy from college is getting married in Boulder. I have relatives in Fort Collins. So the plan is to road trip in mid-june and ride for the week before the wedding.

Will I die? Are the climbs going to be super bad?

Should I swap out for 1x9?

Any advice?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I'd suggest the gear swap if its quick. The climbs here were definitely a shock for me when I moved from WI. Give yourself a day before you ride to give you body a bit to get used to the altitude, that combined with the extra gears and you should be fine.

sgrady11

Chimp
Aug 12, 2007
I'd suggest the gear swap if its quick. The climbs here were definitely a shock for me when I moved from WI. Give yourself a day before you ride to give you body a bit to get used to the altitude, that combined with the extra gears and you should be fine.
I figured gears would be the smart thing to do, especially a few days into it when my legs are likely to be toasty.

Saw some pics on the web as well. Looks like alot of big swoopy hills, I think it will be enjoyable. Also from the pics it looks alot different than the midwest trails threading through the forest, everything is pretty much exposed.

Is sun/heat ever a problem for you? I figure alot of cold water and sunblock...

Also, are the bugs bad out there?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Weather is nice in June on the front range, but up in the mountains, you're far more likely to experience snow then heat in June. Almost no bugs ever. Yup, hydration is important. Sun block is critical if you're not in the tress for an extended period of time.

remdog

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Durango
I figured gears would be the smart thing to do, especially a few days into it when my legs are likely to be toasty.

Saw some pics on the web as well. Looks like alot of big swoopy hills, I think it will be enjoyable. Also from the pics it looks alot different than the midwest trails threading through the forest, everything is pretty much exposed.

Is sun/heat ever a problem for you? I figure alot of cold water and sunblock...

Also, are the bugs bad out there?
there are some trails that are mostly in trees but work their way into open meadows and back, but other trails are very exposed and can get hot. in june temps can get into the uppers 80s and lower 90s on plenty of days but not all, on these days to avoid heat and crowds, ride morning, just my advice