Quantcast

Front Range goodness.............

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Decided to head up to do Mt. Falcon & Lair o' the Bear loop this a.m. Pau11y & Pixel were predisposed so my buddy Jeffe and I did the ride.

Starts off with a stiff ~2K climb up Mt. Falcon. Once at the top there's a bit of road work, then a short singletrack climb to a high point.

Then down, down, down, with a couple little ridges thrown in for good measure. This is the part we like to call "The Force" because it feels like flying an X-wing through the woods here.

The last ridge has a couple gnarly uphill rock sections and I was finally able to clean them both. Although one took a second go to get it done. :D

Got a chance to "demo" Ascentrek's SC Nomad (Jeffe was borrowing it) - that thing goes down like buttah. But I would *NOT* want to ride it up a hill. :dead:

Saw more people on this final section than I ever have before - we probably passed a dozen people coming up. Then when we finished in the Lair o' the Bear lot there were about 50 bikers getting ready to head up. :eek:

Glad we got going early.

All in all an excellent early morning ride.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Pictures hippie, pictures.

This isn't one of your skiing threads.:rofl:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I was at Deer Creek, a hop and a jump from you. It was not really crowded at all. :)

Ooops, I was there today. So one day and a hop skip and a jump.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Nice. Wish I could have joined you, but it wasn't in the cards. Did you do all the loops at the top of Falcon like we did last year?

I already gave the wife notice that I'm going for a long ride on Father's Day. Let me know if you can do the same.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pixelninja said:
Nice. Wish I could have joined you, but it wasn't in the cards. Did you do all the loops at the top of Falcon like we did last year?
Nope. Jeff said he wasn't up to it on that heavy-azz Nomad. :D

I already gave the wife notice that I'm going for a long ride on Father's Day. Let me know if you can do the same.
I think I'm in. Whatchoo thinkin'?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
I think I'm in. Whatchoo thinkin'?
Thinkin maybe Buffalo Creek, Kenosha Pass (if its rideable all the way to Georgia Pass) or around the Winter Park/Frasier area. Haven't decided yet.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Ahhhh....... I probably can't do an all day affair like that. Have you ever done Indian Creek?
If it's less than 20 miles, I ain't even gonna consider it. I haven't had a good long ride this year and its about time I did. We'll probably end up going to Buffalo Creek. There are trails there that I've never hit, so we may end up trying some new stuff there.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pixelninja said:
If it's less than 20 miles, I ain't even gonna consider it. I haven't had a good long ride this year and its about time I did. We'll probably end up going to Buffalo Creek. There are trails there that I've never hit, so we may end up trying some new stuff there.
I think that Indian Creek is more like 32 miles. But the 12 to the dam and back barely count. :D

There are a$$loads of trails up in the Buff Crik area. We did a big-big loop a couple years back that started at Pine Valley Ranch.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
I think that Indian Creek is more like 32 miles. But the 12 to the dam and back barely count. :D

There are a$$loads of trails up in the Buff Crik area. We did a big-big loop a couple years back that started at Pine Valley Ranch.
12 miles to the dam and back...is this up Waterton Canyon?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Yep. Waterton -> Colorado Trail -> Indian Creek Trail -> Indian Creek Campground -> Roxbourough -> Waterton.

Great ride.......

Who's heading up to Buff Crik? How long you guys thinking about riding?
That does sound like a great ride.

For Buff Crik, so far its just me, Jon (he rode Super Falcon with us) and another guy, Charlie. There may be 1 or 2 more.

The loop we usually do is park at the Buffalo Creek trailheand and ride the 543 Road -> Shinglemill -> Morrison Creek -> CO Trail -> Green Mtn Loop -> CO Trail -> Gashouse Gulch -> Charlie's Cutoff -> Sandy Wash -> 543 Road. Ends up being around 25-26 miles. We may extend it to include some of the trails that connect to the Pine Valley trailhead. We'll probably be riding for 4-5 hours and will then probably stop at Bucksnort afterwards. We plan on getting an early start, but no set time yet.

Attachments

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pixelninja said:
That does sound like a great ride.

For Buff Crik, so far its just me, Jon (he rode Super Falcon with us) and another guy, Charlie. There may be 1 or 2 more.

The loop we usually do is park at the Buffalo Creek trailheand and ride the 543 Road -> Shinglemill -> Morrison Creek -> CO Trail -> Green Mtn Loop -> CO Trail -> Gashouse Gulch -> Charlie's Cutoff -> Sandy Wash -> 543 Road. Ends up being around 25-26 miles. We may extend it to include some of the trails that connect to the Pine Valley trailhead. We'll probably be riding for 4-5 hours and will then probably stop at Bucksnort afterwards. We plan on getting an early start, but no set time yet.
Ours was similar, but started from Pine Valley Ranch. I think we may have done Baldy, Miller Gulch, Homestead, and Strawberry Jack.

Great loops down there. :thumb:

vicious

Monkey
Aug 7, 2005
5280'
Squeak said:
I was at Deer Creek, a hop and a jump from you. It was not really crowded at all. :)

Ooops, I was there today. So one day and a hop skip and a jump.
Anyone want to do Deer Creek or Apex tomorrow (Thurs) morning??

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
vicious said:
I didn't go this morning anyway. Considering this afternoon pending how hawt it gets.
I think its only supposed to get into the upper 80's today. Have fun.

BTW - your avatar needs to be bigger :clue:

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
pixelninja said:
Thinkin maybe Buffalo Creek, Kenosha Pass (if its rideable all the way to Georgia Pass) or around the Winter Park/Frasier area. Haven't decided yet.
Me too Me too! I wanna go!

I'm ridin' my own bike this time!

SS, I handicaped Jeffe with the heavy wheels. The XC wheels make that bugger easier to ride uphill...

Did he let you take it down hill?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Ascentrek said:
Me too Me too! I wanna go!

I'm ridin' my own bike this time!

SS, I handicaped Jeffe with the heavy wheels. The XC wheels make that bugger easier to ride uphill...

Did he let you take it down hill?
The Father's Day plan is to head to Buffalo Creek for a long ride. We're planning on meeting at one of the Morrison lots at 8am and doing the loop we usually do (see the attachment I posted above), plus maybe some of the northwestern trails that we never hit. Hoping to put in 30 miles or so. I think SS is gonna stay lower in elevation and do something closer to home. If you don't mind riding with a few slow xc'ers, come on along. PM me if you're interested.