Quantcast

front wheels

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by MMike
Is there such thing as an adapter that will let you run a 20mm hub on a regular skewer mount fork?
Not a universal adapter, but some hubs can be converted (Hope springs to mind).

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Bombshell also makes convertible front and rear hubs, and it's available as a complete wheelset too.

front:

rear:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
some could be, even if they dont have an official kit. Like my Formula hub is dead simple, basically two 20mm cart bearing pressed in that sit on the axle, and two end caps. The end caps could be removed and a reducer axle be fitted in.

hmm maybe thats what i should do next....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by zedro
some could be, even if they dont have an official kit. Like my Formula hub is dead simple, basically two 20mm cart bearing pressed in that sit on the axle, and two end caps. The end caps could be removed and a reducer axle be fitted in.

hmm maybe thats what i should do next....
Aren't pretty much all front hubs set up like that? Maybe varying bearing diameters to account for different axle sleeve widths..

I kept wondering why people didn't make conversion kits for other hubs.

Incidentally, on this subject, I've heard that Hadley front hubs are convertible. Is that true? I can't find the info online.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
azonic makes hubs/wheelset like the bombshell, convertable. theres a awit for them though. i will have a set by the end of this month and ill let you know how they are.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by binary visions
Aren't pretty much all front hubs set up like that? Maybe varying bearing diameters to account for different axle sleeve widths..

well, more or less, some would be more simple to convert than others. Like any hub with an internal axle system and seals (King, DT, etc) would probably require a more finessed approach to get the spacing down to 100mm, whereas i could probably convert my Formula from various junk parts found in my garage.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by Acadian
:confused: you want to run the front Yeti wheel on the Heckler?
No no.... Mr. Resourceful (aka "Talkingmonkey") destroyed his front wheel this past weekend. He has a Jr. T with a skewer. But I foresee him upgrading his fork at some point (no matter what he thinks). And if he upgrades to a fork with 20mm axle, then he has an incompatible front wheel (though there are adapter kits). But having a true 20mm would be better.

So being the thoughtful guy that I am, I started this thread to see if he could run a 20mm hub right away on his current fork.

Dammit Bryan, speak up!