Quantcast

Fry-Day…Does That Mean Donuts?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Ok boys, here goes. I was supposed to fly to Lima yesterday for my best friends wedding. Little did we know, they changed the COVID requirements to enter Peru, they need documentation of the booster shot. This changed since we booked. No problem, I got boosted in October.
But the pharmacy that I got my shot at forgot to update my booster documentation, and just gave my card back to me.
There was no way to get ahold of them as it was 6:00 AM, the flight would leave before they opened. So my wife and kiddo got through, I did not.
I got my proof in IF from the Savon there, ok, we are on again! Get to the airport at 5:30 AM, and they caught the discrepancy, we had to get a regional manager to override it. OK, fine. Yesterday I asked the pimply faced kid to rebook my flight for today. Great! But apparently he forgot to rebook the DFW -Lima leg, so we had to get another regional manager override. OK, finally got that sorted out.
Then wifey messaged me that Peru requires that you travel more than six months before your passport expiration date. We are off by five days. She has incredible attention to detail, and missed this. They let them in last night, but she warned me to just play dumb, friendly, English only tourist when I get there at 1:00 am tomorrow. The wedding is at 11:00 am tomorrow, 4 hours from Lima.
If this is the worst day of your life, congrats, I guess.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, you should all be happy for me then. But they still might not let me in the country tonight after travelling for 48 hours. It wouldn't be the worst day of my life, but would rank up there with awful experiences that were no fault of my own.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ok, that’s three. IF I get denied entry, I’ll call this maybe #5? I too broke 6 vertebrae in my back (body cast). But that was my fault.
6?! yech... that sounds not fun. but you are still riding (or so I gather), so I find that very encouraging! This is one of the reasons I likes the monkey so much!

FWIW, for me too it was my own fault...

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Wtf, Friday’s aren’t supposed to be this busy.

Worst day is also the best day because I didn’t die. Flipped a piece of farm equipment and got flung like a pumpkin. Broke 12 or 13 bones, I can’t remember. Lots of plates, screws and 2 blood transfusions good as newish.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So I spent my morning at the childrens hospital. My son had a follow-up x-ray for his broken scaphoid (still broken), and got a new fibreglass cast on. He's happy caus' it's orange, and he got the last roll of orange in the 'body shop'. TIL that the scaphoid is a complicated bone to heal, I guess because it doesn't get as much blood supply as other bones. It can take 8-10 weeks (over the usual 5-6). So he has a second follow-up appointment in another month. :thumbsdown:
A friend broke his scaphoid last fall during a race last year, after sailing through a pine tree forest (@mykel on Smith in the lower fast skinny trail section). It never healed and now is going under the knife in a week or two, right as the season ramps up.

Sucks. Hope your kids fairs better.

Can't say I have ever been to a Cuban Restaurant. Played it safe and got a Cubano Sandwich. Roast Pork, Ham, Pickles, Some kind of Juice, Plantains, a bunch of other stuff too. A small is whole loaf of bread. Came with a side of Beans and Rice for $8. I had the Colodo too. I will be back. Oh my. So good!
Those sandwiches are so good. Had one at Mayberry's in Brevard and just wanted MOAR.

Well, you should all be happy for me then. But they still might not let me in the country tonight after travelling for 48 hours. It wouldn't be the worst day of my life, but would rank up there with awful experiences that were no fault of my own.
I mean to be fair, part of it is your fault for not checking your own vaccine record and passport requirement (most countries have that, to prevent you being abroad while it expires). :p

But I do hope you get across, it would suck to miss it.

But wait, weddings suck! :busted:

I was refused entry into the US once, that sucked. Lots of sitting around and retina scans. Luckily us Canadian's don't have a visa or anything similar that can be permanently revoked, so after a few years of waiting I was clear to return.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
If it wouldn’t likely cause a divorce/worst day, I would be drinking Long Island Iced Teas at some airport bar! Luckily I brought a gummy for the flight.
For me, the adage is certainly true:
“There is no problem that alcohol couldn’t make worse”.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
@Pesqueeb you clear of the fire down there??? report in, kthx.
North of here and the wind is in my favor. @JohnE is who we probably need to check on.

Edit: Seems that maybe it's been knocked down, but the wind is getting a lot worse, so I sure hope that's the case.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
A friend broke his scaphoid last fall during a race last year, after sailing through a pine tree forest (@mykel on Smith in the lower fast skinny trail section). It never healed and now is going under the knife in a week or two, right as the season ramps up.

Sucks. Hope your kids fairs better.
That section is some seriously janky fun, but not much room for error with lots pointy death sticks everywhere. Sucks for his season, but hope your buddy's knifework goes well and he continues to ride.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Let's thread drift, what were some of your worst days?
Other than the normal parents and siblings dying, it would be being sat on by the cow.
That was the one that fucked me permanently. November 28, 2013 is a day that should have never existed. IMNSHO of course.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
So I spent my morning at the childrens hospital. My son had a follow-up x-ray for his broken scaphoid (still broken), and got a new fibreglass cast on. He's happy caus' it's orange, and he got the last roll of orange in the 'body shop'. TIL that the scaphoid is a complicated bone to heal, I guess because it doesn't get as much blood supply as other bones. It can take 8-10 weeks (over the usual 5-6). So he has a second follow-up appointment in another month. :thumbsdown:...

...on the plus side, daytime nookie. :thumb:

In this day of Tots and Pears, saying "Sending healing vibes" sounds a bit disingenuous. However, I can not ever be accused of being on the bandwagon let alone at the parade, so FTS...

Sending healing vibes for the little one.

Getting a bit of afternoon delight goes a long way to brighten up a dark day.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That section is some seriously janky fun, but not much room for error with lots pointy death sticks everywhere. Sucks for his season, but hope your buddy's knifework goes well and he continues to ride.
I asked the orthopaedic dr and the cast technician if they thought it would be ok to form the cast in such a way that the boy could ride a bike... they both gave me the same look my wife did when I brought it up. so I let it go...

but maybe it's an option for your buddy @canadmos ?!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
felt like absolute ass during my ride today. wasn't even a particularly big ride, but i was 100% spent after. feeling a bit better now. time in the hills is still time in the hills.

new to me 38 arrived today. will unbox and inspect later.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Had to change a lightbulb in the Toaster which was covered in yellow pollen. Decided to hose it off and that turned into a full wash, then cleaned the windows which then lead to a microfiber cloth wipe down followed by a thorough vacuuming. By the time the interior was clean the car was covered in pollen again. Not the worst day of my life so there is that.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I am not saying you need a Secus for the 38 .... but you need a Secus for the 38. Is amazing on my 36.
internesting...will see how it feels. i rode a bunch of rough downhills today before realizing my rear shock was in its climb/xc setting. so maybe i'm not the most sensitive ride to appreciate secus benefits? :rofl:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
internesting...will see how it feels. i rode a bunch of rough downhills today before realizing my rear shock was in its climb/xc setting. so maybe i'm not the most sensitive ride to appreciate secus benefits? :rofl:
Repeat that experiment with the fork locked out and see what happens. :D

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
North of here and the wind is in my favor. @JohnE is who we probably need to check on.

Edit: Seems that maybe it's been knocked down, but the wind is getting a lot worse, so I sure hope that's the case.
All good fellas, thnx for asking 'squeeb...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wind storm broke some rotted out fence posts earlier in the year. Went about replacing them and realized that someone had poured about a yard of concrete per post. Was about to have THE WORST DAY EVER thinking I was going to have to dig it out when I realized I could just clean out the old rotten posts from inside the concrete and insert new ones in the old holes.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Just eat the other half of the Cuban. Cold. It was still awesome. The ham, juice, pickles, and loose pork fat congealed into a delicious fatty mess. Spicy V8 to wash it down.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just eat the other half of the Cuban. Cold. It was still awesome. The ham, juice, pickles, and loose pork fat congealed into a delicious fatty mess. Spicy V8 to wash it down.
My local deli makes an awesome Cuban, I ask them to add jalapenos.