Quantcast

->>> Fry tag <<<-

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
:wave:

No ride last night, t-storms in the area and all. If only they would stop with this Thursday night non-sense.
Solution for afternoon thunderstorms ruining opportunities is riding in the morning. Even these nasty hot days have been bearable early.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Also, flashback Friday to that time my high school GF asked me if I wanted to go see her dance recital, but told me I didn't have to if I didn't want to. I didn't, so I said no, then wondered later why she was all upset at me. To be young again. :rofl:

Solution for afternoon thunderstorms ruining opportunities is riding in the morning. Even these nasty hot days have been bearable early.
Usually my MO, but Thursday night I meet up with my bro after work. Maybe I do need to work in more weekday rides...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
people, I've got a staircase to paint. Pine stairs were too mistreated over 70 years to be stained.
#renomonkey

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i heard someone on the tv say mail in voting is the future of elections or some shit......

hmmmm.....

20200731_082935.jpg

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
HEY. I swam 3,000 yards at the asscrack of dawn and now my upper body is tired. I need to go scrounge up some food...I has teh hungry, but it was important to check in with you guys first.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Hannah doesn't have daycare today and Haley has camp, so we have to watch her while having our normal work. Should be fun.

Had neighbors over last night and husband said he's getting a motorcycle. He has no background on motorcycles or bikes. He's been taking classes, but says they aren't very helpful, so he's just going to buy a bike to get used to riding it. I kept trying to explain that the reason I really got into fast cars was because I got spooked off bikes (street) after almost being hit a bunch of times of not my own fault - and I am, and was, especially comfortable on two wheels when I was 25. Sounds like he's going to do it anyways, so I'm going to work with his wife to make sure that his life insurance is up to date, because he is 85% primary income earner.

Here. Hannah doesn't have daycare today and Haley has camp, so we have to watch her while having our normal work. Should be fun.

Had neighbors over last night and husband said he's getting a motorcycle. He has no background on motorcycles or bikes. He's been taking classes, but says they aren't very helpful, so he's just going to buy a bike to get used to riding it. I kept trying to explain that the reason I really got into fast cars was because I got spooked off bikes (street) after almost being hit a bunch of times of not my own fault - and I am, and was, especially comfortable on two wheels when I was 25. Sounds like he's going to do it anyways, so I'm going to work with his wife to make sure that his life insurance is up to date, because he is 85% primary income earner.
How old is this dude?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

If he's buying from a dealer they won't let him ride it off the lot without a class m license.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If he's buying from a dealer they won't let him ride it off the lot without a class m license.
Buying it used. He's going to be able to get it. CO needs a class and a test, and supposedly the test is really easy.

We were talking about why I gave up my license when I moved here, because not having lane-splitting is a lot less safe in of itself, which he couldn't understand. It's like dude, you can't get rear-ended and get squished like a bug. You only do it at lower speeds (ie in traffic) or up to a red light. When he didn't get that I pushed back on him really hard that IF he's going to get a bike, he should get a low powered enduro and full riding gear before riding on the road. He definitely has that "I'm going to get a cruiser and go out into the mountains" kind of mindset. He tried to challenge that I have these really high-end bikes, so getting something nicer makes sense because "they're better" and will be safer. It was like, "no. I have better bikes because I can push then farther and need something that can handle it. My first bike was a piece of shit Huffy BMX. My first MTB was a Motiv." He's set in his thought to get a motorcycle.

Our neighbor down the street has a bike and has gone through a bunch, but he's also single (divorced), has been riding since he was a kid, has tons of time on track, and has enough wealth that if anything happens to him his daughter will never have to worry about anything. Not so much with the guy across the street.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Anybody remember the name of the online hardware store that starts with an M? they do nuts, bolts, struts, etc. I need to get a bunch for my bench and can't remember the name.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Buying it used. He's going to be able to get it. CO needs a class and a test, and supposedly the test is really easy.

We were talking about why I gave up my license when I moved here, because not having lane-splitting is a lot less safe in of itself, which he couldn't understand. It's like dude, you can't get rear-ended and get squished like a bug. You only do it at lower speeds (ie in traffic) or up to a red light. When he didn't get that I pushed back on him really hard that IF he's going to get a bike, he should get a low powered enduro and full riding gear before riding on the road. He definitely has that "I'm going to get a cruiser and go out into the mountains" kind of mindset. He tried to challenge that I have these really high-end bikes, so getting something nicer makes sense because "they're better" and will be safer. It was like, "no. I have better bikes because I can push then farther and need something that can handle it. My first bike was a piece of shit Huffy BMX. My first MTB was a Motiv." He's set in his thought to get a motorcycle.

Our neighbor down the street has a bike and has gone through a bunch, but he's also single (divorced), has been riding since he was a kid, has tons of time on track, and has enough wealth that if anything happens to him his daughter will never have to worry about anything. Not so much with the guy across the street.
i learned to ride dirt bikes in high school and from time to time would do a lap on friends motorcycles in college. i had my permit at one time but never took it anywhere and it expired. lately i've been daydreaming about getting a dual sport but nothing i'm seriously considering at this point.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

Cant tell you how many of those guys I scraped off the pavement in my Career ...At least get him to buy a full face helmet and a Ballistic Riding suit
P1000238.jpg
P1000237.jpg

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i learned to ride dirt bikes in high school and from time to time would do a lap on friends motorcycles in college. i had my permit at one time but never took it anywhere and it expired. lately i've been daydreaming about getting a dual sport but nothing i'm seriously considering at this point.
I keep pushing him to get a 125/250 with lights and just ride something small for a while. Hopefully he listens.

I keep pushing him to get a 125/250 with lights and just ride something small for a while. Hopefully he listens.
If you survive your first hour, you might survive your first day.
If you survive your first day, you might survive your first week.
If you survive your first week, you might survive your first month.
If you survive your first month, you might survive your first year.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you survive your first hour, you might survive your first day.
If you survive your first day, you might survive your first week.
If you survive your first week, you might survive your first month.
If you survive your first month, you might survive your first year.
It's not if you get hit; it's when.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's not if you get hit; it's when.
No different than riding a mountain bike. Everyone eats shit at some point. Some people die.

All the power to him if he wants a new hobby and wants to go cruise out in mountains somewhere. As long as he's safe and respectful, thats all you can ask.

The only worrying thing is him saying that lessons aren't useful. Lessons are there to allow you to explore the bike, and perhaps screw up, in a safe low risk environment.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That is the worst! I remember the time when the local laws forced me for the first two years of owning a MC license to ride a bike with 27 HP only. That was more dangerous than a stronger bike because you have no chance of getting out of a situation quickly. Luckily I bought a good bike and reduced the power output on it, so it at least had great suspension and brakes. Those beginner bikes are crap because of no power, crappy brakes, bad suspension.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
He definitely has that "I'm going to get a cruiser and go out into the mountains" kind of mindset.
50% that he just understeers out of a corner into canyon wall. 45% that he crosses the yellow and is made into a hood ornament. 5% that it all works out well.

/me is at work, having pedaled in. Feels muggy 'n shit. I probably should change out of my riding outfit into real clothes at some point.