Quantcast

FS 29er? or FS 26er?

godmathias

Chimp
Jun 17, 2011
Hey all,

Been riding a Gary Fisher X-Cal for about a year now, and wanting to look at something with full suspension. Going to sell the X-Cal, even though it was a great bike, I just think I need something a little nicer/beefier.

I am a singletrack junky. Not really a racer, and not an AM/DH kinda guy. I just love flying through single track, hitting rock gardens hard, having fun with little jumps and things I see out on the trail, and still having some decent climbing ability. I've come down to two bikes, and want to stay with Trek as I love the brand.

Looking at a Fuel EX 8 26er, and a Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, both around $2400. Ive test ridden them both but my LBS wont let me take them anywhere worth while so its hard to tell. The EX8 felt great, and looks pretty mean, and I almost bought it, but Im just not sure about going back down to a 26er. On the other hand, the Hi-Fi 29er full suspension looks sweet, but also looks a little more delicate than the EX8. I'd get the Rumblefish 1 but I cant afford it, and heard its a very heavy.

Anybody know anything about these bikes, or have an opinion on 26 vs 29er full suspension? Id love to hear all opinions.

Thanks.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Find out of someone can speak specifically about the agility of the Hi-Fi Deluxe. In my experience, I very few 29-ers compare in agility with 26"-wheeled bikes. If I'm flying down singletrack, I want my equipment to be responsive but not too aggressive.

Your headtube angles are significantly different, 69° for the Fuel and 71° for the Hi-Fi. Your X-Cal's is around 69.6°. Just something to keep in mind.

While I'm not fond of my 29-er if I'm going on a climbing ride because of the larger wheels and the gearing I have (lowest is 24x34), I noticed the Hi-Fi comes stock with the 10-speed 11-36 cassette. 22x36 will give you about the same climbing power as a 26"-wheel and a 24x34, like the Fuel has.

You said you're not looking for technical riding, which is another point for the 29. Sounds like you've been happy with the 29-er and the way it rides.

These are the things I would think about.
Good luck :)

godmathias

Chimp
Jun 17, 2011
Find out of someone can speak specifically about the agility of the Hi-Fi Deluxe. In my experience, I very few 29-ers compare in agility with 26"-wheeled bikes. If I'm flying down singletrack, I want my equipment to be responsive but not too aggressive.

Your headtube angles are significantly different, 69° for the Fuel and 71° for the Hi-Fi. Your X-Cal's is around 69.6°. Just something to keep in mind.

While I'm not fond of my 29-er if I'm going on a climbing ride because of the larger wheels and the gearing I have (lowest is 24x34), I noticed the Hi-Fi comes stock with the 10-speed 11-36 cassette. 22x36 will give you about the same climbing power as a 26"-wheel and a 24x34, like the Fuel has.

You said you're not looking for technical riding, which is another point for the 29. Sounds like you've been happy with the 29-er and the way it rides.

These are the things I would think about.
Good luck :)
Probably wasns't 100% clear. I do want the ability to do technical stuff. Not too much downhill, but be able to handle some decent rough descending as well as some of the harder technical trails here in Arizona. That's what I'm afraid with by getting a Hi-Fi. The area where my X-Cal lacks is going through real rough stuff and downhill. It climbs like a beast but I can really feel it when I'm goin over stuff.

The Fuel EX seems great for me, Im just really not sure if going back down to a 26 is a good move. Maybe I save a bit more and get a Rumblefish 1. Haha im killing myself with this decision.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mr_frosty

Chimp
Jul 20, 2011
the rumblefish is heavy heavy. no experience with the hi fi as it was sold out so i ended up with a stumpjumper 29 and was exponentially faster on my main trail. I live in an old glacier bed so plenty of climbs and still faster with very similar effort. I will never go back from 29 fs. my 2 cents.