Quantcast

FS trail bike frame on a budget...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've been using a 16" Azonic DS1 as my XC bike for the last year and I'm tired of the bumpy ride. I'm looking forward to offing it in the spring for a new dually. I have to strike a balance in between light weight and enough travel. The bikes I'm thinking about are:

Azonic Propulsion; a little less travrl than I'd like, but good design!
Spec. Enduro; pretty much what I want, but want more opinions
Spec. Stumpy FSR ('04); Looks good, but its a first year bike & maybe not slack enough.

My major requirements are a fully active design (horst link), resonable weight and reasonable price.

Whats the feelings on these bikes? What else should I look at?

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Have you looked into an Ironhorse Hollowpoint? Excellent suspension design and great component spec.

The Jamis Dakar series also pack a lot of value in their lineup.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to go with!

Cheers,
Kristina

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by KPicha
Have you looked into an Ironhorse Hollowpoint? Excellent suspension design and great component spec.

The Jamis Dakar series also pack a lot of value in their lineup.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to go with!

Cheers,
Kristina
The Hollowpoint for 2004 should offer a ton of bang for the buck. IH listened to feedback on the 2003s and made some really smart improvements, most noteably better tire clearance, and I believe the latest version of the dw link.

Also, look into a Norco Fluid - pretty light, FSR suspension design, great component specs.

What's your budget? That would help as well.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Jamis doesn't use a Horst Link anymore, so its out.

Norco Fluid looks very good actually. I thought they just did burly bikes. Finding dealers in Ca is limited. There are 3 dealers and none near me:mad:

I'm planning on my tax return funding this and It can't all go to this. If I sell my current ride and push the budget I'm looking at 1300-14000 for a whole bike. I get deals on Spec. though through my old shop. They carry Giant, Spec. and Trek.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Look around for KHS stuff from last year. I have a FXT pro frame I picked up for $400. Its grate nice ride climbs good and its a tank I haven’t bin able to hurt it yet. I know its not the brand name every one feels thy need to have but I think it’s a dam nice bike.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Zark
Jamis doesn't use a Horst Link anymore, so its out.

Norco Fluid looks very good actually. I thought they just did burly bikes. Finding dealers in Ca is limited. There are 3 dealers and none near me:mad:

I'm planning on my tax return funding this and It can't all go to this. If I sell my current ride and push the budget I'm looking at 1300-14000 for a whole bike. I get deals on Spec. though through my old shop. They carry Giant, Spec. and Trek.
Speedgoat has 2003 Fluid frames on sale for around $750 I think.

Worth a look.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Have you looked into any Kona bikes? No horst link, but the suspension is fully active. I have a'03 Dawg and love it. 31lbs., but you'd never know it.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by ghostrider
Dude, that should cover just about anything. In fact, I'll sell you a nice Blur for just $9999.
Ummm, yeah Ghosty, that was meant to be one less zero:rolleyes:
Your blur fits me like a road bike dude HUGE!!

No Kona, its NOT fully active. Salsa is out too, wrong design.

Welll folks looks like its gonna be..................... An Enduro! I was leaning this way all along but after seeing 2 of my friends flog theirs all weekend I'm set.

Unless someone wants to give me a Tracer:p

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
What I get will depend on whats on closeout, what I can hook up used and whats in stock when I get my tax return.

I have a good line on a used '03 pro for a screamin deal, but tax return time is a long time away:(

On the plus side I can still beat the snot out of my DS1 (actually it beats the snot out of me!) through winter time and think about the possiblities:cool:
I'll have to sell this trusty ride to get the Enduro though, hopefully some monkey will give it a good home.:)

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
i support your decision on the enduro. one of the guys at the shop i work at has one and it holds up very well. he has it built up for hucking (he's medium size) with a dual crown 6in fork in teh front and the frame seems to holds up very well. he's busted the fork before but the frame was still fine.