Quantcast

FSA Cranks I give up

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Broke my third set of FSA cranks today. First two V-drive extreme and today a Gravety. 8it has also broken two sets of V-drive extreme this year. They all bend and the metal insert moves in the crank. So its now Deity crankset are installed and they should hold up.

I don't know if FSA or I am to blame but I am not happy :mad:

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I had old v drives still have my original pair that are still great. I got a new pair at the end of july and noticed they were machined different and had a weird insert. Within 3 days i clipped my pedal and they bent back around the insert area. They were horrible on trying to warranty them so i am pretty much over FSA cranks nowadays.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
my cranks were stripping so much I almost bought a pole...really though I use pedal washers and I don't apply a lot of torque to the pedals when installing them....as soon as I did that my crank problems were gone...D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I destroyed a set of V drive in no time. I tend to be very good on cranks. I hooked a pedal on a rock at Diablo and it ripped right out. Its seems like they use a softer aluminum than they should. Kinda like Sun vs Mavic of a few years ago.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
I've given up on FSA cranks lately. They seem to bend incredibly easily. I probably stripped 2 dozen pairs of them off of bikes for people this season while installing guides at races.

I'm very fond of Hollowtech II XT cranks (except for the non-replaceable and weak spiders), they are about as light as XTR when you grind down the granny tabs for chainguide use as well. Middleburn cranks have treated me very well also.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Adding to what RD said, I have a pair of LX's on 1 bike and Hones on my DH bike. Very happy with both. The Hones are cheaper which I think is due to their Kmart quality rings. Not a big deal if the first thing you do is to pull them off. For 2006 the Hones get inserts. I think that they are available now.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
you will love your deity cranks so strong, never come loose, look sick as hell, and weight a little more than your old set up (most people are supprised lighter than saint)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Ripped a pedal out of my V-drive Extremes (no steel insert) on a hard landing - and needless to say, that is a rather unpleasant sensation...Got the new ones with the inserts, so we'll see how they do...At least they're cheap...

Btw, GoRide.com has some 165mm...Good folks those GoRide peeps...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
dexter said:
you will love your deity cranks so strong, never come loose, look sick as hell, and weight a little more than your old set up (most people are supprised lighter than saint)
Yes, I am very happy with my decision and hopefully I will get funds for a ti spindle but the weight is not a big concern right now its more the rider that :o:

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
with a ti spindle they weight as much as holzfellers with the lite bb they offer but with a ti bb on the holzfellers they are way lighter. but no where near as storng and stiff

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
BigMike said:
I've stripped out two pairs of V-Drive Extremes........ Maybe its user error, maybe its FSA error, whatever it is, i'm done with them :)

Its the crank. Ive had a pedal strip in the crank on a ride before. I had to press it out with a big c clamp. FSA sent me a new one with steel thread inserts.