Quantcast

Fsa Cranksets And Bb

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I was set on buying the 2003 shimano XT cranks and BB but i like supporting huge monopolys like shimano as little as possible. I'm think about the FSA afterburner cranks has anyone used them how stiff are they and how well do they shift?
Also how are their ISIS BB do they last long and do they havea seperate cup or are they one peice like they look like on their website.?
Thanks

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The cranks are great and the rings shift well.

The BB is another story......

I have the TI Isis BB and it creaks like a mofo regardless of how much everything is greased. The bearings are a bit suspect as well, with slight tight and loose spots after install.

I haven't given up though. I'm going to replace the Ti with the Cromo version and hopefully I'll have better results.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
not a very decisive person are you?

the reason shimano is a monopoly is because of their index system and how well it works(IMO). i almost bought a FSA crankset, but shimano was lighter(i think) and less expensive(another reason for the monopoly.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by NRSracer
not a very decisive person are you?

the reason shimano is a monopoly is because of their index system and how well it works(IMO). i almost bought a FSA crankset, but shimano was lighter(i think) and less expensive(another reason for the monopoly.
I had XT cranks last year that lasted me 4 months due to a bad fit between the crank & splined BB. People on RM told me that I must not have installed it correctly. Putting cranks on isn't rocket science though and I haven't had any such problems with my ISIS BB & cranks. From my experience, I trust the ISIS system more.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I had a Truvativ husselfelt crank and a Truvativ DH BB and wonse i had gotten the bolts tightened really nice. It never creaked a peep it was great.
I'm now seriously considering getting the FSA cranks but since my BB shell was stripped and had to be rethreaded and isn't perfect (it was stripped on the non drive side) now so thats why i want a BB with a seperate cup on the left side it should make it easeir putting it in. FSA seems to make theirs in one peice whats a good ISIS BB thats not to pricey but doesn't creak and has a seperate cup like shimano.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
The cranks are great and the rings shift well.

The BB is another story......

I have the TI Isis BB and it creaks like a mofo regardless of how much everything is greased. The bearings are a bit suspect as well, with slight tight and loose spots after install.

I haven't given up though. I'm going to replace the Ti with the Cromo version and hopefully I'll have better results.
RM - do you have the Ultimax or the Platinum Pro BB? The reason I ask is that I have heard peeps about the Ultimax BB having "issues", which led to it being replaced by the Platinum Pro. I'm in the market for one of these and am interested to hear your thoughts. I also had my eye on a Truvativ Gigapipe, if they're any good.....

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
a BB with a seperate cup on the left side it should make it easeir putting it in.

Actually. If the bb, any bb had permanently installed cups on both sides it would be impossible to install. All BB's have at least one cup that is separate.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by oldfart
a BB with a seperate cup on the left side it should make it easeir putting it in.

Actually. If the bb, any bb had permanently installed cups on both sides it would be impossible to install. All BB's have at least one cup that is separate.
Not true i'm almost positive the fsa bb are one peice no cup on left side same with raceface. Unless you have prove other wise. It's not impossible you just keep screwing it in from the right side since there are no flanges on the left side of the BB.
I'll proble get a Truvativ Gigapipe because acoording to them they have a company that makes them custom ball bearings so the won't have the problems the old ones did.

Whats the difference between the V drive and the afterburner carnk.?

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by JMAC

Not true i'm almost positive the fsa bb are one peice no cup on left side same with raceface. Unless you have prove other wise. It's not impossible you just keep screwing it in from the right side since there are no flanges on the left side of the BB.
I'll proble get a Truvativ Gigapipe because acoording to them they have a company that makes them custom ball bearings so the won't have the problems the old ones did.

Whats the difference between the V drive and the afterburner carnk.?
Your confused about this. EVERY BB has one removable cup.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Are you sure the FSA BB do please check. Which BB should i get and which crank?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va

It's not impossible you just keep screwing it in from the right side since there are no flanges on the left side of the BB.

No. You remove the removable cup, install it from the other (fixed cup) side and tighten it a bit, then install the removable cup. Because of the reverse threads on a BB, what will thread into and out of one side will not thread into the other side AT ALL.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Are you sure the FSA BB do please check. Which BB should i get and which crank?

Dude. It's entirely possible that the left/non drive cup is fixed on an FSA. IN WHICH CASE, THE DRIVE-SIDE CUP IS REMOVABLE. That way, you install it thru the non-drive side, and then put on the removable, drive-side, cup.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
OK I'm and idiot but what's a good ISIS BB that won't creak and will last 2000km or 1000miles?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Also for the cranks i see at jenson i can get a 2001 truvativ team stylo for 109$ and a truvativ 2003 gigapipe team sl BB for 44$ is this better than buying a crank like an FSA Vdrive?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok i guess i'm just talking to my self here. Jenson has change their price after about 5minutes back to 109 and i read reveiws and they all say it's amazing so i'm going to go with the stylo cranks despite the sexyness of the FSA because the stylo is suppose to shift almost as good as XTR .

Which BB to get?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Dude thats like the 30th time you've come to one of my threads and made some stupid c-dale hater comment get a life.:monkey:

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Dude thats like the 30th time you've come to one of my threads and made some stupid c-dale hater comment get a life.:monkey:
least i can decide on something without being entirely dependant on other people.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I can decide things my self i just like to know other peoples opinions. So i can make a better decision. Ha you loser;)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
What ever 2, 30 it's all the same;) :p
Anyways i've decided what i'm getting all of it
here it is

XT cassets 11-32
PC99 chain
XT shifters
XT rear derailleur
Truvativ Stylo team crank
03 truvativ gigapipe team sl BB