Quantcast

FSA Moto-X MegaExo Info???

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yes, I did a search. Setting aside Drt Jmprs' rant, most info seems to be a couple of years old....

I'm looking at buying the 2010 Demo 8 I. But I'm a little concerned about some of the specs. It comes with FSA Moto-X MegoExo cranks... My buddies that ride xc with FSA cranks have all had problems with them (they keep falling off!). I also seem to remember reading that FSA DH cranks are nice and light, but they are prone to bending. I've bent a DH crank before (an older Holzfeller) so I'm weary of these. I weigh 210 w/o gear and ride on the East Coast mostly (Camp Fortune is my local mtn, and I head out to Bromont every once in a while). While I'm not really into hucking my meat, I don't want to shy away from fun stuff either if it flows nicely! I also love to charge through rockgardens at high speed! :rolleyes: The shop I'm set to buy from appears to be willing to let me swap them out. But, is it worth the effort? Are they good enough?

My other concern is the Gamüt guide. I don't know why, but they seem kinda cheezy to me... If I were to replace the cranks, would it be worth going to the e-13 SRS? Especially given my weight and riding style?

thanks guys...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The moto-X cranks are pretty low on the ladder (cheap) model cranks. As far as having cranks 'fall off' someone needs to learn how to work on bikes. They are not a press fit that can wear and become loose (though most of these issues are mechanic related as well).

It really depends on what kind of abuse you put your cranks through. Gravity lights hold up for many larger guys (I am 190) as far as riding forces go...but if you pound your pedals off rocks regularly, you will destroy them.

If you want that will simply last (and IMO the best designed interface) get Saints.

There were a few reports of gamut bashes breaking (supposedly addressed by the mfg) but over all they get good feedback. I personally run E-13 guides (SRS, LG-1, and DRS) and have never had an issue....